• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

1400 Top Case Options

Anthony DeStefano

Just got it firing!
Here's my bike outside of Shoshoni, WY on 8/29/20 on my way from Tulsa to Glacier National Park in Montana and then home to the SF Bay Area. No, those handlebars are not stock, but they were fine for the trip.
That is beautiful! I am looking for a rack and top case that will fit two helmets maybe 64L what kind is yours? Any recommendations?

That is beautiful! I am looking for a rack and top case that will fit two helmets maybe 64L what kind is yours? Any recommendations?
The MG rack and 50l top case (made by SHAD), would suffice. This would of course necessitate removal of your back rest as no one makes a rack that you could fit with the back rest in place. Hepco Becker also make a rack to which you could add your top case of choice. The MG 65 litre top case is horrendously expensive and IMHO not worth the asking price.

Last edited:
The MG rack and 50l top case (made by SHAD), would suffice. This would of course necessitate removal of your back rest as no one makes a rack that you could fit with the back rest in place. Hepco Becker also make a rack to which you could add your top case of choice. The MG 65 litre top case is horrendously expensive and IMHO not worth the asking price.
I agree about the MG offering 2K! My God that is ridiculous!! I will investigate the Shad 50L and I thank you...

Robert: What do you think of this expandable top box -

SHAD D0B58106 Expandable Top Case SH58X, Black
7103phi44QL AC SL1500 81rLiq6SAoL AC SL1500

I agree about the MG offering 2K! My God that is ridiculous!!
Not necessarily to justify the cost of the big top box (it is expensive), but Indian wants nearly $3K to add a factory top box to a Springfield, Challenger, or Chieftain. Granted, theirs has a brake light, powered lock, and is quick-release, but....$3K.

Dave

Not necessarily to justify the cost of the big top box (it is expensive), but Indian wants nearly $3K to add a factory top box to a Springfield, Challenger, or Chieftain. Granted, theirs has a brake light, powered lock, and is quick-release, but....$3K.

Dave
My goodness that is extreme even with those great features...

Just stick that decal on the shad and go with it!
158683-01-1593525432.jpg

Found this for 309.99 EURO = 366.58 USD on the German Motea website It specifically states it fits MG California Touring from 2012 through 2020.
https://www.motea.com/en/top-box-ki...s-with-luggage-grill-black-craftride-222925-0

Dave

So, all things are relative. Regardless, ~$2000 for a top case is ridiculous.

Robert: What do you think of this expandable top box -

SHAD D0B58106 Expandable Top Case SH58X, Black
View attachment 20658View attachment 20659

Be aware of the mount plate. The MOTO GUZZI (Shad) brand mount plate is not the same as the SHAD mount plate. The box you show should work fine and I would have looked at this one or one of the GIVI top boxes if the previous owner had not already installed the MG 50L top box on my bike.

Greetings, Anthony! Thank you for the compliment. I sincerely apologize for the VERY late reply to your rack and top case question. I have not logged in for awhile, regrettably. I bought the bike used and assume that the panniers and top case are stock for the 2014 Cal Tourer, having Moto Guzzi badges and a "Moto Guzzi"-embossed leather backrest. The side panniers had a date label inside of "06/00/2013". The top case, which does hold two helmets (photo), had a small reflective foil Piaggio sticker inside with the number "PIO134097". A Google search was not helpful. Embedded in the latching mechanism plastic cover was ">PP-TX20<" and the word "SHAD". SHAD makes pretty snazzy cases (and at least one similar-looking case)but I Googled PP TX20 and it referred to a top case lock, not the case. My case had a warning label stating "Maximum Weight Load Allowed lbs 11 (kg 5). I have probably loaded 20 pounds in it with no adverse effects...yet. Capacity is hard to figure due to the curves but VERY roughly, using average WxLxH I got 54L, and I suspect it may be larger. I would likely go with 64L to not worry about fitting two helmets. I can provide more pictures if you like but did not want to hog space on the forum.

As an aside, as has been mentioned in the Forum by others with various stock panniers, my "stock" panniers did have small water leakage inside when I washed the bike, so I will be tackling that heeding their tried and true methods before the rainy season.

Best of luck in your search.
2 helmets in 2014 Cal Touring top case

Greetings, Anthony! Thank you for the compliment. I sincerely apologize for the VERY late reply to your rack and top case question. I have not logged in for awhile, regrettably. I bought the bike used and assume that the panniers and top case are stock for the 2014 Cal Tourer, having Moto Guzzi badges and a "Moto Guzzi"-embossed leather backrest. The side panniers had a date label inside of "06/00/2013". The top case, which does hold two helmets (photo), had a small reflective foil Piaggio sticker inside with the number "PIO134097". A Google search was not helpful. Embedded in the latching mechanism plastic cover was ">PP-TX20<" and the word "SHAD". SHAD makes pretty snazzy cases (and at least one similar-looking case)but I Googled PP TX20 and it referred to a top case lock, not the case. My case had a warning label stating "Maximum Weight Load Allowed lbs 11 (kg 5). I have probably loaded 20 pounds in it with no adverse effects...yet. Capacity is hard to figure due to the curves but VERY roughly, using average WxLxH I got 54L, and I suspect it may be larger. I would likely go with 64L to not worry about fitting two helmets. I can provide more pictures if you like but did not want to hog space on the forum.

As an aside, as has been mentioned in the Forum by others with various stock panniers, my "stock" panniers did have small water leakage inside when I washed the bike, so I will be tackling that heeding their tried and true methods before the rainy season.

Best of luck in your search.
View attachment 20844
Panniers are stock but not the top case.

Back