• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Guzzis at Laguna Seca

What's the history on it? Who owned/where from?

Bike was originally built by a guy called Ron Maas. He raced BOT in the late 80s at Daytona etc. Crashed it at Brainard (sp) in 88 and parked it. It was bought and brought out West a few years ago and sold to my friend Rick. I eventually inherited it 3 or 4 years ago and it sat at my shop unloved.

A few months ago Tom was looking for a ride for the Laguna event and I recommissioned it from parts I had laying around and eBay. Sport 1100 engine, California 18" wheels, California triples and forks, V11 clutch and flywheel, 40mm Dellorrtos, Saches ignition.

For sale btw :)

51FDF5BD 189E 4144 84D5 187DA36CE0B4 D5E440CD 90CA 41C7 9D49 E12F42E76FF4

Bike was originally built by a guy called Ron Maas. He raced BOT in the late 80s at Daytona etc. Crashed it at Brainard (sp) in 88 and parked it. It was bought and brought out West a few years ago and sold to my friend Rick. I eventually inherited it 3 or 4 years ago and it sat at my shop unloved.

A few months ago Tom was looking for a ride for the Laguna event and I recommissioned it from parts I had laying around and eBay. Sport 1100 engine, California 18" wheels, California triples and forks, V11 clutch and flywheel, 40mm Dellorrtos, Saches ignition.

For sale btw :)

Very Nice and it has a Tire Warming feature -

Original link was on Vimeo but the race was streaming from MotoAmerica. Maybe the poster on Vimeo got shut down.....
Likely. MA has a paid streaming service. Below is from RRW. Well done to you and Tom.

Monterey, CA – The 2020 CSRA Superbike Shootout season concluded in fine fashion Sunday at WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca during the Heritage Cup race run in conjunction MotoAmerica. Mark Miller riding the Superbikes Only! Suzuki to a commanding win in the Open class and Curtis Adams riding the Terry Tinny Performance Motors built Adams racing Honda in the 750cc class.

Chilly conditions greeted the superbike riders in the morning warmup as riders circulated and tried to get some heat into the tires during the early morning Monterey weather. As the qualifying session started at 10am, the call was made by CSRA Race Director JT Kieffer that track conditions had progressively deteriorated over the morning the session would be an optional warmup and the practice times from the prior day would be counted as their qualifying efforts.

Track conditions were much better for the final on track action of the day as the 19 riders were greeted with a mid-60’s air temperature and a mid-70’s track temperature which are perfect for air cooled superbikes. Tensions were high as this race was being broadcast live on MotoAmerica’s Live Plus streaming service and the competitors were keen to provide the racing action/entertainment that had been lacking during the previous Heritage Cup exhibition events.

From pole position Mark Miller (Suz) out dragged Kevin McKee (Kaw), Andrew Gray (Guz), Eric Kondo (Kaw), Paul Kieffer (Suz) and the rest over the top of turn one and into turn two with a two-class pack followed closely behind. Amazingly, Curtis Adams (Hon) had worked himself up from the 7th row (from the 750cc class) of the grid to slot into 5th position exiting turn two and was nipping at the heels of the larger displacement bikes who started in front of him. Tom Montano (Guz) riding as part of the Team Guzzi Nerd (more like a Wrecking Crew) was still learning his way on a fresh build by “Head Nerd” Andrew Gray. Mark McKinney (Suz) had made an incredible start as well from the north 40 as he is the current standard bearer of the 750cc class so he was a force to be reckoned with and was working hard to make up time from his handicapped starting position.

As the pack came around to complete the first lap it was Miller with a clear advantage over Adams, and McKee, Kondo, Montano, Dave Crussel (Kaw), and McKinney in the top 7. Battles were racing all up and down the field as small skirmishes broke out but the win in each class was never in doubt from there on out as the two leaders were clearly the fastest of their respective classes.

93E3FF3C EB3B 4CFB A31C F16569569365

I think Todd needs to be in the next bagger race on a Guzzi at Laguna Seca. That was awesome!

I think Todd needs to be in the next bagger race on a Guzzi at Laguna Seca. That was awesome!
I thought at first that the class was going to be an embarrassing and painful disaster, but I was impressed with the level of creativity (and $$$$) thrown at them. Adding the MGX fairing and bags to a Custom or Audace would be best, but then you're stuck with as delivered gearing on these bikes. Also, the race winners had 150 hp/150 torque, which I can easily get to with a Supercharger!
:cool:

I thought at first that the class was going to be an embarrassing and painful disaster, but I was impressed with the level of creativity (and $$$$) thrown at them. Adding the MGX fairing and bags to a Custom or Audace would be best, but then you're stuck with as delivered gearing on these bikes. Also, the race winners had 150 hp/150 torque, which I can easily get to with a Supercharger!
:cool:

Baggers were doing 1.39s. That's 10 seconds a lap quicker than me. Mark Miller was doing 1.43s (correction 1.39s).

Last edited:
I sure would like to see this race if someone has a link. Good on you Gray for your results. That’s a great result going against the four cylinder bikes in a short race.

I sure would like to see this race if someone has a link. Good on you Gray for your results. That’s a great result going against the four cylinder bikes in a short race.

it’s available at MotoAmericaLive +

single event subscription is $10

yes, a 20 lap race would be more my speed (or 50)

I know, isn’t that hysterical?

Next well see the Goldwing Ding-a-ling class for racing fully clad 2-wheeled Winebagos!

:D:D:D

I thought the bagger race was a hoot, and would feel similarly watching Civic convertibles (aka GW) race. :clap:

Racing is serious business, but it also needs to have a component of fun. That was fun. :party:

It also illustrates how skilled riders can ride anything and make it look easy.

Big dressers are not my cup of espresso, but I sure cannot imagine doing on one what the least of those riders did.

Bill

What I want to know is if those bags were empty or full ;(
Everyone was also wind screen less in an effort to get streamlined.

There was a lot of skill involved in keeping those Hogs ( and Indians ) on a line, more than once there was some gentle slides coming into a corner, and a few with a wobble here and there !

Back