• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Stelvio front wheel jumping when i'am braking

tomas

Just got it firing!
Hi there. I'am trying to fing solution about this problem in my Stelvio NTX 8V 2010. My front wheel is jumping when i am braking. There is pulsation of the handle, the brakes seem to brake and release. Someone with similar problem?

The rotors have pad material melted on them jack up the front and scrub the crap off them with coarse sand paper or such try not to get them so hot stopping and then hold the front brake hold with the rear instead

Hello,
I also have a similar very slight pulsing sensation - But No Bunny Hopping !
I am thinking its Rotor ( Disk related ) maybe warped or how ever unlikely some contamination on the pads / rotor surface.
( But I would expect that to be consistent rather than pulse )

I'll try some brake cleaner on it ... and report back.

Do what vagrant suggested and also check the buttons on the rotors. Worst case is warped rotor(s).

Checking for brake rotor warpage is easy enough with a felt marker pen and some creative way to secure it to a fork leg and then
check for the marks left after spinning the wheel .Softer sprung front end (80's and 90's BMW) would noticeably pulse at .003" warp , H-D would require at least '006" to exhibit the same degree of pulsing . Quick and cheap . Peter

I tried with buttons, does not helped. Next I will clean the discs and measure eventually if discs are warped.
Thanks for now. I will write how I deal with this.

The pulsing you are feeling is being caused by one thing.

For whatever reason, the disc rotor is PUSHING BACK against the pad and causing the hydraulic fluid to transmit this hydraulic pressure increase, back to the lever where you can feel it.

As previously mentioned, the bobbins (incorrectly called buttons)that the rotor floats upon, can get dirty, corroded, or just gummed up with dirt and crud and they no longer allow the rotor to move freely like it should.

To clean them, find a piece of wood dowel that preferably is or can be tapered with some sandpaper so that you can press it snugly into the bobbin from one side, and using friction from the wood, turn the bobbin back and forth while spraying some brake cleaner into the space between the bobbins and the rotor. Do this to every bobbin and then test ride it again.

If the pulsing remains, check the lateral runout on the rotor. Is it warped? If so, then they need to be replaced and it will fix your problem.

NOTE: Checking lateral runout is useless if you do not first ensure that the bobbins are clean and allowing proper free movement of the rotor. If the rotor is bound up from a dirty bobbin, then the runout will not actually be caused by rotor warpage but rather stuck bobbins!

However, you more than likely will find that properly cleaning the bobbins and making sure they have they ability to move as designed, fixes the issue.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
As previously mentioned, the bobbins (incorrectly called buttons)that the rotor floats upon, can get dirty, corroded, or just gummed up with dirt and crud and they no longer allow the rotor to move freely like it should.

To clean them, find a piece of wood dowel that preferably is or can be tapered with some sandpaper so that you can press it snugly into the bobbin from one side, and using friction from the wood, turn the bobbin back and forth while spraying some brake cleaner into the space between the bobbins and the rotor. Do this to every bobbin and then test ride it again.!

Thanks for the tip, I was looking the the front rotor last night and there was nothing I could see, but did notice those bobbins, the Honda disk is bolted on not “Floating.
I never realized it was Really floating, eg: allowed some movement...
Learn something new every day !

No effect of fine cleaning of the discs.
When I took off the brakes I notice that the wheel is slightly bent. This probably affects the discs that I will have to replace. Any experience with wheel centering and quality discs?

I would have wheel checked. Most likely not bent up to where rotor attaches. See Todds store here for quality brake parts.

No effect of fine cleaning of the discs.
When I took off the brakes I notice that the wheel is slightly bent. This probably affects the discs that I will have to replace. Any experience with wheel centering and quality discs?

I know of shops in the USA that can straighten cast wheels so it can be done. You will have to search your area to find a shop that can accomplish the task.

I had to replace one disk early on in my ownership because of brake pulsing, later investigation (using a surface table and some decent measuring equipment) showed it was the alloy carrier that bolts to the hub and carries the disk that was bent rather than the rotor itself. I have always suspected that it was damaged by someone during a tyre change.

That would have to be some Whack to bend it...
Unless of course it was poorly supported when the front wheel was off and Fell onto the caliper bending the bracket...:eek:

This weekend I will deal with the all wheel. First demontage of the wheel, second i'll take off the disk and then centering of the rim, third replacing glycerin and brake pads brembo, and if after this are still pulsating i will not have a choice but to buy new disks.

Unfortunately nothing of this helped. Starting to looking for new disks. What do you think guys for NG Brake disk, any opinion? Seems that price is ok, but quality?

I had to replace one disk early on in my ownership because of brake pulsing, later investigation (using a surface table and some decent measuring equipment) showed it was the alloy carrier that bolts to the hub and carries the disk that was bent rather than the rotor itself. I have always suspected that it was damaged by someone during a tyre change.

PS: were you able to buy just a new Carrier , does it come with the rotor ?

Back