• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Norge 8V OIl in Airbox but low oil level? Huh?

Hi guys, thanks again for sparing your time to chip in to help me out – appreciated.

So, forgive the lengthy post but I have a few questions and ideas to float past the collective brainpower of this group.

Firstly, this bike does not have a low oil level, despite the warning light coming on when hot. The dipstick still shows oil in between the bottom and top markings. From what you’ve told me so far this could still actually be considered to be ‘over-full’ and oil could accumulate in the airbox.

The sump gasket may be leaking but the oil leak was from between the vee’s higher up so has dripped down over the sump so it’s not yet possible to tell if there’s a leak there also. But I think you’re on to something when you suggest it’s something that expands when the bike is hot.

Having removed the airbox I saw oil around the pressure switch.

Guzzitech1

The pressure switch wasn’t loose but it undid without a great deal of effort so I expect this was leaking when hot. I’ll replace the switch as well, just in case it’s faulty. The oil over the electrical connector and inside, around the terminals is more baffling but I did have a split breather pipe so am putting it down to that.

Guzzitech2

I was also concerned with the state of the wiring and rubber boots on connectors in this area. I know it gets hot in there, but I would have hoped they’d stand up to it. Is this normal? I shall try and get some adhesive heat-shrink over the boots. I’ve also re-routed the cabling a bit to keep it from resting on the cylinders.

Guzzitech3

The RH breather pipe was kinked badly so I can’t believe that cylinder has been breathing properly. I’ll replace both of those pipes.

Guzzitech4

So, I am hoping that now I have cleaned up, snd when I’ve replaced breather pipes, replaced the pressure switch with new crush washers, cleaned the stepper motor and reassembled, I should be leak free and warning light free.

6589DE4B 4AF9 4F63 AAD1 A0D85AEB02E6

Whilst it’s in pieces is there anything else I should do and does my description/thought process above sound sensible?

I hope to repay the favour with you guys sometime.

Thanks,

David

Last edited:
My boots were in similar shape.
The sump gasket leak is internal, not external. Oil will not be visibly leaking. The gasket leak allows enough of a pressure drop to trigger the low oil pressure light when the engine is hot and idling. Usually if you increase the revs slightly, the light goes out.
Now would be a good time to eliminate the charcoal canister and all it's plumbing. There is plenty of info on the forum on how to do it. I don't know if your bike is inspected each year where you live as that could be a problem. It is part of the emissions system.

My boots were in similar shape.
The sump gasket leak is internal, not external. Oil will not be visibly leaking. The gasket leak allows enough of a pressure drop to trigger the low oil pressure light when the engine is hot and idling. Usually if you increase the revs slightly, the light goes out.
Now would be a good time to eliminate the charcoal canister and all it's plumbing. There is plenty of info on the forum on how to do it. I don't know if your bike is inspected each year where you live as that could be a problem. It is part of the emissions system.
Hi Raven, thanks for that. That makes total sense now so I think I’ll replace the gaskets to be on the safe side.

We have something yearly called an MOT which is a ministry of transport vehicle inspection and they measure emissions.

David

Last edited:
That pinched breather pipe is probably part of your airbox oil issue as the the air pressure is significantly raised by that narrowing.

However, I really want you to understand the internal oil leak location.

If you look at the gasket, you will see the large rectangle area with all the holes. This is where the oil pump, bolts in onto the engine block. If there is a tear or it’s not tightened properly, or any other sealing issue between the pump and oil lines and that gasket, especially as it gets hot down there, pressure can drop significantly, triggering the warning light.

Good Luck!

B3A01AD4 8052 44F6 B891 A2D1283DE2FC

Thanks all, I’ve ordered both gaskets so that I can replace them if necessary.

Just been for a spirited 35mile ride through wonderful autumnal Kentish countryside and no warning lights or oil discharge/leaks so far. The breather pipes and pressure switch appears to have been the problem but time will tell.

David

Just a quick update for anyone that’s interested.

Haven’t had any more leaking oil issues yet so not replaced the sump gaskets. UK lockdown has prevented me from giving the bike a longer test so I am still not counting my chickens though. Fingers crossed.

One annoyance though is my neutral light is intermittent since putting the bike back together so I presume I’ve disturbed the wiring. That is a nuisance but one I’ll live with until I’m certain the oil problem is sorted.

Happy Christmas to all on the forum and thanks for the help and friendship you’ve shown me this year. I’m hoping to repay the favours. Let’s hope we’ll be let loose in 2021 especially for the centenary trip to Mandello.

David

Last edited:
In neutral no clutch is required. I always start in neutral except when I engage first gear with the kickstand down and the engine cuts out. Then I call myself a dumb ass and pull the clutch in and restart.

Last edited:
And then you could have a problem with the clutch switch, or a connection in that circuit as I did. Pulling the clutch had no effect on starting. Don't you just love Guzzi electrics?

Yes, I’ve been to the UK and enjoyed it’s 4 “seasons” - wet, wetter, wettest, and “Does the sun ever shine in this god awful place?”

Had to go north to Scotland to get a decent day in Edinburgh. :D

I feel the same way having lived in Northwest Ohio for the last 17 years after moving away from San Diego.

Scott, that’s not entirely inaccurate but still a bit harsh. Otherwise we’d never play any cricket.
Come back in summertime and I’ll lend you a bike for us to ride out on.

San Diego is on my list to visit but not sure there’s much hockey to see there.

Scott, that’s not entirely inaccurate but still a bit harsh. Otherwise we’d never play any cricket.
Come back in summertime and I’ll lend you a bike for us to ride out on.

San Diego is on my list to visit but not sure there’s much hockey to see there.

Au contraire ...

San Diego Gulls

:giggle:

Back