• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

774cc

dale decrescenzo

Tuned and Synch'ed
Has anyone replaced a late model V7 crank with a V9 ?
Looking at the parts list, just about every thing is the same.
Con Rods, Crank beairngs, entire valve train....

the best i can figure is that a 1.5mm shim under the cylinders, and the same value added to the push rod length should net a 774cc engine.

the best i can figure is that a 1.5mm shim under the cylinders, and the same value added to the push rod length should net a 774cc engine.
I’ve been trying to look for a used v9 engine with no luck
I’m curious too but my intentions are different

I can't imagine you'd find even one, unless they swapped the entire motor... as the amount of work to do this is pretty immense. Question is why? The longer stroke motor is lazier. The GTM 820 pistons are drop in, and makes for a snappy fun motor. @Louisv97 has one, along with a few others here. Best bang for the $ you can do.

My next project is to drop a V85TT motor into a V7 frame, and mate it to the V9 swingarm/FD. Just in case Guzzi doesn't for 2021. 850 Le Mans, here we come. ;)

while trolling on E-Bay, I spotted a late model V7 crank assembly, and it got me wondering, so i thought i would ask.
I also found a V7 crank with solid big end con rods, like a 2 stroke ? what year/model was so equipped ?? and why ??

I’m wondering if lighter connecting rods would help make the v7 rev a little quicker
No, that takes a lightened crank and flywheel. I did this in the 90's on Honda Hawk GT race motors. You don't want lighter and weaker con-rods. Either way, you'll have to rebalance the entire assembly. Again, anything can be done, just how much time and money to throw at it.
I was hoping you'd comment on how much fun the 820 kit is.

My next project is to drop a V85TT motor into a V7 frame, and mate it to the V9 swingarm/FD. Just in case Guzzi doesn't for 2021. 850 Le Mans, here we come. ;)

I’m eager to see how this turns out. Out of curiosity, what benefits do the V9 swingarm and final drive bring to the table?

No, that takes a lightened crank and flywheel. I did this in the early 90's on some Hawk GT race motors. You don't want lighter and weaker con-rods. Either way, you'll have to rebalance the entire assembly. Again, anything can be done, just how much time and money to throw at it.
I was hoping you'd comment on how much fun the 820 kit is.
Oh the 820 kit is amazing. It does wonders to what felt a neutered engine. Brings it to life. By far the best mod i've done to my III.
I would never give up my III for anything. It's a keeper.
My issue is coming from myself, in that I want bring my III to a higher peak. Crazy I know, but it's something I want.
Which is why I was wondering where more power could be found.
@dale decrescenzo if you want more power without much fuss, Get Todd's kit. Believe me and the other guys on here who have posted reviews, it's the real deal

Oh the 820 kit is amazing. It does wonders to what felt a neutered engine. Brings it to life. By far the best mod i've done to my III.
I would never give up my III for anything. It's a keeper.
My issue is coming from myself, in that I want bring my III to a higher peak. Crazy I know, but it's something I want.
Which is why I was wondering where more power could be found.
@dale decrescenzo if you want more power without much fuss, Get Todd's kit. Believe me and the other guys on here who have posted reviews, it's the real deal
Sounds like you want a cam.........

If there was such a thing
There is, but unless you’re going racing, it’s pointless really. The stock cam is a really good street cam. The V7 III stock cam with my 820 kit and free-flowing exhaust, would be a touch over 60 rwhp. The V85TT has 66.7 rwhp stock, as shown below. Chris’ 820-4V I built makes 67.3 rwhp using the stock cam. Also shown below.

C0C9E24E E19C 44A1 A1F4 A8C4D2BB958E

GTM V7-820-4V
683599EB 51CE 46EB B34B FBA0E599FFFC

When it's time to rebuild the engine in my III, I want to see how much I can throw at it. I'm not looking for crazy numbers, but I do want to see how much can be extracted out of it.

Last edited:
When it's time to rebuild the engine in my III, I want to see how much I can throw at it. I'm not looking for crazy numbers, but I do want to see how much can be extracted out of it.
My forecast, with $$$$ and a fragile durability, is close to 70 rwhp. I’ll add as your motor sits, rebuild needs won’t likely be for a few hundred thousand miles.

My forecast, with $$$$ and a fragile durability, is close to 70 rwhp. I’ll add as your motor sits, rebuild needs won’t likely be for a few hundred thousand miles.
I am curious what you mean by "fragile durability", I take you are saying that at that level the motor is delicate. Is that correct?

I am curious what you mean by "fragile durability", I take you are saying that at that level the motor is delicate. Is that correct?
Stock they are decently robust. There’s many 100k+ mile small blocks out there.
If you try to extract power beyond what it was designed for, it will become increasingly fragile. My 820 kit with forged pistons is an improvement on stock, not a deficit. Beyond that, increased revs/power mostly means a much shorter life.

Stock they are decently robust. There’s many 100k+ mile small blocks out there.
If you try to extract power beyond what it was designed for, it will become increasingly fragile. My 820 kit with forged pistons is an improvement on stock, not a deficit. Beyond that, increased revs/power mostly means a much shorter life.
I was hoping that was it. That 820cc kit is on my list, along with a full GTM exhaust system.

Back