• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Mistral exhaust db killers

senecagreen

Tuned and Synch'ed
The V9 roamer I bought came with Mistral long mufflers. After reading about how some have db killers installed I looked at mine and there they were. I removed them to look at them and I bet they have been cut. I will post a couple of pics and maybe someone else that has them can say.

I actually have a decibel meter (not a app on my phone) and I have checked all my bikes especially before changing exhausts to see the difference between stock and whatever I bought. Since I don't have stock V9 exhaust I checked the Mistrals with and without the db killers.

With the db killers
idle 81db
cruise rpm 94db
revved 108 db

Without the db killers
idle 83 db
cruise rpm 94db
revved 108 db

I always set the meter 8ft away and directly behind to be consistent. Not much difference is why I think the previous owner modified the db killers.

20201217 170712 20201217 170704

Why not Google it? ;)
Yes, they’ve likely been cut. Most all of them have an end cap with a hole drilled in it.
3CA96199 43FC 4533 8C11 69925DDA331D

I dis google it but could not find the actual Mistral oem db killers. Just other aftermarket alternatives. If someone has a pic of the oem ones I could probably reconfigure mine as I know some excellent welders who could weld up whatever I make. You have probably figured out I like to make things which is why I admire your fabrication skills.

GetAttachmentThumbnail

V7III shorties on the left V85 on right.
I did buy the V7III set used so it's always possible the original owner did cut them. But, he didn't say he had and there was no sign of it and no soot or sign they had ever been in or run.

my V7 mistral shorties have killers like what Todd posted, but without the hole.

my V7 mistral shorties have killers like what Todd posted, but without the hole.

Same here. Pretty big difference in vs. out. Pretty sure you can buy replacement stock baffles if you want to quiet it down. There is a small but noticeable power improvement with out the baffles.

looking at the mg store website for db killers the ones I have look like the "loud" db killers for the california 1400 mufflers and not modified

I wound up ordering the California 1400 db killers. They were too big to fit in my Mistrals but once cut they did slip over the ones I had and I was able to use them after all. Once installed I will check with my decibel meter the difference and post the results

I was able to repurpose one of the ends I cut off to modify a db killer I had for a slip on on one of my other bikes.

20201217 170704
20201230 205116

Food for thought...I am not a sound engineer nor am I a air flow engineer. You notice I made them longer than oem length. I can still cut and weld them shorter to oem length but wanted to experiment.

The muffler construction and anything you add like db killers are affecting 2 very different things. more/faster combustion explosions make more waves/vibrations that your ears turn into sound and the frequency of that sound determines bassy or harsh.

Then you have to consider the engine is a air pump and needs optimum flow for the capacity.

So the db killer configuration and location affects flow and sound. The muffler being either chambered or straight thru affects both too. Most of the slip ons you deal with are straight thru with either a louvered or perforated core. Resonator construction is interesting too.

Air picks the path of least resistance. So by making the decibel killer longer moving the escape route further into the muffler and keeping in mind the mistral db killers have those extra little escape holes around the bell.

I really was just curious how that would affect the air flow, noise level and frequency of the sound. Todd makes slip ons and puts a lot of thought into what he makes.

I really don't know the science, I just enjoy thinking about all that goes into these things...

Got them in and checked them with the meter
idle 81db
cruise rpm 92
revved 104 db

Compared to my original open db killers
idle 81
cruise rpm. 94 db
revved 108 db

I think they still have plenty of flow and am happy with the result. Would they have been louder if I had made them shorter like oem? I don't know

Back