• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Anyway to remove start up code?

automattic

Just got it firing!
I have a 2017 MGX 21 that doesnt require a code to start. I just put the key in and start it. I just bought a 2020 Audace Carbon and I have to put in a 5 digit code to start it. Is the code feature turned on at the factory or did dealer do this? Anyway to turn this feature off as I would prefer to just put the key in and go.

I have a 2017 MGX 21 that doesnt require a code to start. I just put the key in and start it. I just bought a 2020 Audace Carbon and I have to put in a 5 digit code to start it. Is the code feature turned on at the factory or did dealer do this? Anyway to turn this feature off as I would prefer to just put the key in and go.
Did you go to menu, then to change code, then enter code. It tells you how in owners manual. You should not have to enter code at every start. Congrats those are both nice bikes, nice mix

Last edited:
Is this possibly a thing with the chip in the key? I thought the code was there in case the chip, or reader, failed so you could still start the bike.
Do you have 2 keys and have you tried both? It's possible the key you are using is a replacement and hasn't been programmed to the bike as Skip suggests.

Seems to me a lack dealer selling the bike without setting up a code. It's not that hard to do, but for someone not used to it, can get very confusing. Is the dealer in close proximity? If so, then I suggest you take it back to him to sort out.

I have experienced it myself with new bike purchases, but I knew what to do, so no biggie.

Thank you. I will try that. I never entered a code on my MGX-21.

I believe Bisbonian is on the mark for a solution to your problem. The User Code prompt automatically comes up when your ignition key, which should have an electronic chip embedded in it's head, is defective, not programmed, or is a standard key without a chip. This thread should be of some help for you to program the keys you have for the bike:

https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/user-code-screw-up.17453/

A couple things to make note of:
1. The User Code can be changed to any 5 digit number you choose, as per instructions in the owner's manual.
2. The Service Code is a different number, should be 34534 for your bike, that must be entered for the SERVICE menu option, which will get you to the Change Keys option. This code is not changeable, as far as I know.
3. When performing the Change Keys procedure, be sure to program all of your keys, up to the limit of 4. In my past experience, having only one key programmed will trigger the mysterious Red Triangle indicator on the speedo/tach display.

Thanks I will take a look at that. Both keys require me to input the 5 digit code.
I believe Bisbonian is on the mark for a solution to your problem. The User Code prompt automatically comes up when your ignition key, which should have an electronic chip embedded in it's head, is defective, not programmed, or is a standard key without a chip. This thread should be of some help for you to program the keys you have for the bike:

https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/user-code-screw-up.17453/

A couple things to make note of:
1. The User Code can be changed to any 5 digit number you choose, as per instructions in the owner's manual.
2. The Service Code is a different number, should be 34534 for your bike, that must be entered for the SERVICE menu option, which will get you to the Change Keys option. This code is not changeable, as far as I know.
3. When performing the Change Keys procedure, be sure to program all of your keys, up to the limit of 4. In my past experience, having only one key programmed will trigger the mysterious Red Triangle indicator on the speedo/tach display.

Curious how you actually enter the code? Does a keypad appear on the display and you navigate using the mode switch??

Don't do it.....

If your bike starts normally, messing with the security code could cost you sending Carmo Electronics in the Netherlands to fix your screw-up. Don't ask how I know...

I put my code when I bought my Eldorado, and now, I can start the engine without any code.

Last edited:
Curious how you actually enter the code? Does a keypad appear on the display and you navigate using the mode switch??

This is covered IN DETAIL inside of the Owners Manual, which as a GT Contributor, you can download for free from the DOWNLOADS section.

Dave, (roadventure) is being a bit dramatic with his "Don't do it..." statement in my opinion.

Setting the User Code is a fairly straightforward process if you READ FIRST the section in the manual on how you do it, and you take your time and go slow and steady to actually learn that the controls do in fact work but that you have to go slow and steady. The firmware on the dash unit, is not Microsoft smooth or fast and it runs rather slowly so you can overrun it if you try to do the handlebar inputs from the MODE switch, too rapidly.

I do suggest that the simplest and most logical code to set it to, is to the same code as the Service Code (this is hardcoded into the dash and cannot be changed) for your particular model of motorcycle.

The 1400's (California, Eldorado, Audace) all use 34534 as their Service Code. Griso 8V is 12425. Breva and Norge are 28315. Early 2006 Breva and 1200 Sports are 36421.

In my case, the Stelvio Service Code is 10695, so I set my User Code to that as well.

For record keeping, I printed it on a label and attached it to the underside of the seat and also wrote in on the inside cover page of the Owners Manual cover, just in case.

For those who would like a way to "practice" code entry, in order to get the hang of the "long pulse, short pulse" entry method with the MODE button, I highly recommend accessing the DIAGNOSTICS function of the MENU screen on your dashboard. Here, it will ask you for the SERVICE CODE (some relevant ones are shown just above). You can practice entering the code and when you can successfully enter it 2 times in a row, then you are well enough prepared for actually changing the USER CODE yourself with confidence.

Last edited:
Is it really an issue? The message quickly disappears.

And fixing it has not been easy for some.

Down here support is not easily available. When I brought the bike there was one dealer in NZ and they didn’t even have PADS or a trained Guzzi technician. Bikes were imported by the Triumph distributor who knew nothing about Guzzis and cared even less. Took me almost a year to get the rear guard replaced under warranty. So was I going to worry about something trivial like that. No

Yes, it is actually.

The forums are filled with dashboard User Code posts because people ignored it, changed it without recording it down, never had it in the first place, lost keys and now cannot program new ones, lost the code and cannot recover it anymore…

So, yes…do your own thing and ignore it, however if that is your advice, I think it’s shortsighted at best and an irresponsible suggestion at its worst.

YMMV

Back