• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Newby here.

Yukon42

Just got it firing!
Been thinking really hard about obtaining a V85TT Adventure as it has many things I want in an Adventure bike. However, after reviewing this forum and finding that many of you V85TT owners have fueling problems causing the engine to overheat; I am beginning to rethink the possibility of ownership. I live in Las Vegas and have ridden many brands of air cooled motorcycles over the years in 110F heat with no problems; I find the V85TT reports concerning.

I have narrowed the field of Adventure bikes down to the following:

Ducati V4S Multistrada: Demo'd this the other day and can only say WOW! But the price is rather stiff even though you get a lot for your money.

Harley Davidson Pan America: They just released the particulars of this bike so I will have to take a look when they arrive in May and take one for a spin. Price is better than the Ducati, but do I really want to be a Beta tester for a brand new HD engine design?

BMW R1250 GSA: Not much to be said here except that everyone has one; still a bit pricey.

V85TT: I like everything about this bike except the report of bad fueling/overheating. Haven't taken one for a spin yet but I will soon.

I currently have a Ducati 950 Multistrada that I have ridden from Las Vegas to Dawson City in the Yukon Territory (that's way up north for you geographically challenged folks LOL). Not one problem with it. However, I would rather have a shaft drive than a chain drive on a large adventure bike. I believe the shaft is less maintenance and certainly cleaner.

So what say you V85TT Adventure owners? Do any of you love your bike?? I've read the con's, any pro's out there????

Ducati V4S Multistrada:

Harley Davidson Pan America:

BMW R1250 GSA:

V85TT:

Ducati: I love Ducatis, but... First non-desmodromic Multistrada. $$$$$. Ask what a service costs, exactly. You will have a stroke.

Harley: Seriously? Two Words. Buell Ulysses. This bike is doomed to failure. Count on it. If you buy it you better plan on keeping it until it dies because resale will be worse than pathetic.

BMW: I love BMW's but... Again, ask what a service costs exactly. After you pick yourself up from the floor, then ask about recalls and rear brakes that leak from the factory. BMW is NOT the same company they once were. They globally source everything now and their quality has gone down the drain. Also, the BMW stands for BRING MORE WALLET. Everything on this motorcycle costs $$$. Everything.

V85TT: A lovely, "Adventure style" motorcycle. Light, agile, fun to drive, excellent acceleration, performance and handling. Everything you can use and nothing superfluous. I have ridden one for quite a few miles, but I don't have one yet, I ride a Stelvio NTX. But in a year or two, the right 1500 mile V85 specimen will come my way and I will grab it.

That's my 2 cents worth...

Yukon 42 you are reading something that doesn't exist into the buying decision. This bike fuels as good as anything on the market. It will get hot as any air-cooled sitting at 100+ outside but not riding. And unlike most others, your nuts won't be roasted!

Yukon 42 you are reading something that doesn't exist into the buying decision. This bike fuels as good as anything on the market. It will get hot as any air-cooled sitting at 100+ outside but not riding. And unlike most others, your nuts won't be roasted!
Well how come I keep seeing people complaining about the CEL light illuminating due to overheating?

Ducati: I love Ducatis, but... First non-desmodromic Multistrada. $$$$$. Ask what a service costs, exactly. You will have a stroke.

Harley: Seriously? Two Words. Buell Ulysses. This bike is doomed to failure. Count on it. If you buy it you better plan on keeping it until it dies because resale will be worse than pathetic.

BMW: I love BMW's but... Again, ask what a service costs exactly. After you pick yourself up from the floor, then ask about recalls and rear brakes that leak from the factory. BMW is NOT the same company they once were. They globally source everything now and their quality has gone down the drain. Also, the BMW stands for BRING MORE WALLET. Everything on this motorcycle costs $$$. Everything.

V85TT: A lovely, "Adventure style" motorcycle. Light, agile, fun to drive, excellent acceleration, performance and handling. Everything you can use and nothing superfluous. I have ridden one for quite a few miles, but I don't have one yet, I ride a Stelvio NTX. But in a year or two, the right 1500 mile V85 specimen will come my way and I will grab it.

That's my 2 cents worth...

Service on the new V4S can't be any worse than a Panigale V4 can it? Certainly the valve adjustment won't be nearly as time consuming as the desmo service. First valve check isn't due till 36000 miles; hell I see people that don't put 36000 miles on their bikes in several years!

Guess you haven't read any of the specs or reviews from people who have ridden the Pan America (there are a few already).

Can't deny that the GS has it's problems I guess; still considered the "gold" standard in the ADV market though.

I almost bought a Stelvio back in 2017, but hearing that MG was cutting that model I decided to go with Ducati 950 Multi. Love the Multi BTW; just not the cost of service! LOL

Looking forward to riding a V85TT and especially a 2021 model with a bit more power and tubeless rims.

Well how come I keep seeing people complaining about the CEL light illuminating due to overheating?

I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill. I haven't read that and I surf the forums on the net daily.

Also, Moto Guzzi has issued 2 recalls on this motorcycle and if there was an issue with overheating, they most certainly would have recalled that too.

Seems to me you are looking for stuff to worry about that you don't need to. My 2 cents.

Service on the new V4S can't be any worse than a Panigale V4 can it? Certainly the valve adjustment won't be nearly as time consuming as the desmo service. First valve check isn't due till 36000 miles; hell I see people that don't put 36000 miles on their bikes in several years!

Guess you haven't read any of the specs or reviews from people who have ridden the Pan America (there are a few already).

Can't deny that the GS has it's problems I guess; still considered the "gold" standard in the ADV market though.

I almost bought a Stelvio back in 2017, but hearing that MG was cutting that model I decided to go with Ducati 950 Multi. Love the Multi BTW; just not the cost of service! LOL

Looking forward to riding a V85TT and especially a 2021 model with a bit more power and tubeless rims.

Look,

I don't know what you are seeking here. You already have all of your opinions locked up tight as a drum. Why do you pretend to want input?

You sure make a lot of wrong assumptions.

I read a ton. Daily. I own a motorcycle repair facility and I am a professional mechanic. I also own 8 motorcycles of my own, and I have owned all of the brands you are contemplating and I was the General Sales Manager for 5 years for BMW Motorcycles in San Diego, CA at Brattin Motors.

It's obvious from your comments that you really don't want input and I'm not going to engage you further just so you can argue with somebody.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:
Look,

I don't know what you are seeking here. You already have all of your opinions locked up tight as a drum. Why do you pretend to want input?

You sure make a lot of wrong assumptions.

I read a ton. Daily. I own a motorcycle repair facility and I am a professional mechanic. I also own 8 motorcycles of my own, and I have owned all of the brands you are contemplating and I was the General Sales Manager for 5 years for BMW Motorcycles in San Diego, CA at Brattin Motors.

It's obvious from your comments that you really don't want input and I'm not going to engage you further just so you can argue with somebody.

Good luck with your decision.

Sorry if I offended you here. I'm not looking to argue with anybody and I do appreciate your input. I'm well aware that most folks who post about their bikes on forums are either seeking information regarding repair or complaining about problems they are having. It was my intent to draw those who have GOOD things to say about their V85TT. I humbly refer you to the last sentence in my original post.

Thank you all, who have responded.

Cheers.

I like everything about this bike except the report of bad fueling/overheating. Haven't taken one for a spin yet but I will soon.
It was my intent to draw those who have GOOD things to say about their V85TT
Maybe I've missed it but I haven't seen reports of overheating on the V85 TT
ukon 42 you are reading something that doesn't exist into the buying decision. This bike fuels as good as anything on the market. It will get hot as any air-cooled sitting at 100+ outside but not riding. And unlike most others, your nuts won't be roasted!
I have ridden one for quite a few miles, but I don't have one yet, I ride a Stelvio NTX. But in a year or two, the right 1500 mile V85 specimen will come my way and I will grab it.
I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill. I haven't read that and I surf the forums on the net daily.

All of us who responded have ridden or own the bike. We all told you that it's a great machine.

John Zibel is a Moderator and a Master Mechanic. Vagrant owns both a V7 and a V85. I'm a professional mechanic and I have riden the bike for a day and I own a Stelvio and have owned several BMW GS motorcycles.

Don't know what else to tell you.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
All of us who responded have ridden or own the bike. We all told you that it's a great machine.

John Zibel is a Moderator and a Master Mechanic. Vagrant owns both a V7 and a V85. I'm a professional mechanic and I have riden the bike for a day and I own a Stelvio and have owned several BMW GS motorcycles.

Don't know what else to tell you.

Good Luck.

Thank you for your reply. I am definitely going to give the V85 a go. Thanks again.

So.... seems like you got input from some great sources here - certainly more qualified opinions than mine. I've owned mostly baggers the last 20 years and currently ride a Harley Road King Special (after swearing I'd never go that direction because of history of poor build quality). It took a lot of modding (complete exhaust overhaul, intake, cam, and remapping, new suspension) to get this bike where i wanted it and where it compared to my previous stock japanese and british bikes (yamaha, honda, triumph). I want to believe Harley has made a real change in what they're doing but I need to wait to see it. Anyone who buys that new Pan America is wading into uncharted territory that is likely loaded with land mines. The specs are amazing for sure. I like the look of the bike. I could rattle on about the specs cuz I've studied them - but I won't. Bottom line is it's a brand spanking new engine. The company has no idea what will (not might) go wrong with this engine. Nor does anyone else. I would consider looking at that bike in a minimum of two years after rollout if at all. And given that I'm only 5'9", I would need the "Special" with the new seat-drop-at-stop tech which puts the baseline price for me at $20K.

I've ridden the GS. It's awesome, but expected and can i say boring? Okay, maybe not boring. it's a great bike.

Haven't ridden the Dukati but I sure have salivated over a few of them. A friend rides the Multistrada and raves about it.

My brother-in-law rides a VStrom and loves it, but he really wishes he had waited to buy a V85TT.

I am getting one. I have a dealer local to me here in Milwaukee who has three 2020's, including the red and white Adventure that I want. Just not sure if I should wait for the 2021's. It's not like I can ride for the next couple of months anyway (I'll get out in March for sure at least a few days).

Good luck in your search. Make sure to get on all of those bikes. I'm definitely going to take the Pan Am out for a test when it arrives for the pure fun of it.

So.... seems like you got input from some great sources here - certainly more qualified opinions than mine. I've owned mostly baggers the last 20 years and currently ride a Harley Road King Special (after swearing I'd never go that direction because of history of poor build quality). It took a lot of modding (complete exhaust overhaul, intake, cam, and remapping, new suspension) to get this bike where i wanted it and where it compared to my previous stock japanese and british bikes (yamaha, honda, triumph). I want to believe Harley has made a real change in what they're doing but I need to wait to see it. Anyone who buys that new Pan America is wading into uncharted territory that is likely loaded with land mines. The specs are amazing for sure. I like the look of the bike. I could rattle on about the specs cuz I've studied them - but I won't. Bottom line is it's a brand spanking new engine. The company has no idea what will (not might) go wrong with this engine. Nor does anyone else. I would consider looking at that bike in a minimum of two years after rollout if at all. And given that I'm only 5'9", I would need the "Special" with the new seat-drop-at-stop tech which puts the baseline price for me at $20K.

I've ridden the GS. It's awesome, but expected and can i say boring? Okay, maybe not boring. it's a great bike.

Haven't ridden the Dukati but I sure have salivated over a few of them. A friend rides the Multistrada and raves about it.

My brother-in-law rides a VStrom and loves it, but he really wishes he had waited to buy a V85TT.

I am getting one. I have a dealer local to me here in Milwaukee who has three 2020's, including the red and white Adventure that I want. Just not sure if I should wait for the 2021's. It's not like I can ride for the next couple of months anyway (I'll get out in March for sure at least a few days).

Good luck in your search. Make sure to get on all of those bikes. I'm definitely going to take the Pan Am out for a test when it arrives for the pure fun of it.

Waiting for the 2021 V85TT's. I have ridden the Multi V4S, wow. But I'm not really looking for a highly road bias performance machine and at twice the price of the V85TT it doesn't make a lot of sense for me. My local MG dealer isn't much of a dealer as they are a volume selling dealer who deals with multiple brands and the service department is, shall we say, lacking. I have no problem doing service on my bikes (my multistrada 950 valves excepted) so barring a major warranty problem with a V85TT I see no drawback. Been a harley owner for over 12 years and can honestly say I've had no problem I couldn't quickly solve with them. Perhaps because I don't ride them like I'm Giacomo Agostini! Still interested in throwing a leg over that Pan America though.

I think this paragraph from total motorcycle.com says it all about the V85TT:

"The fundamental concepts at the base of the V85 TT are minimalism, ease and practicality, typical of enduro bikes from that decade that could be used to do anything, from daily commuting to adventurous travel, values that are being lost in an increasingly commercial market where the products proposed favour significant sizes and weights. Moto Guzzi V85 TT has achieved the ambitious goal of combining a style based on bringing back those values with the equipment of a modern touring enduro. For this reason, it has earned the title of the first and only classic enduro on the market." Now in 2021 adding tubless wheels/tires does it for me. but if the dealer keeps dropping the price on those 2020's......LOL

Back