• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Manifold nuts/studs

All too often I've had studs come out instead of the nuts come off. Locktite 2422 is a very high temp (650°F) medium strength bonder which I now use on exhaust studs. Then make sure you use some good anti-seize on the nuts. If there's room I also use plain washers and spring washers - to be sure, to be sure. Some bikes, like my DR650, have bolts which thread into the head and must be removed from the head every time you remove the exhaust. This soon destroys the thread in the alloy head. For those I buy studs and do the conversion. My first ever helicoil was one of this type about 40(ish) years ago. By using studs I've never had that problem again.

Stainless steel has more alloyed metals in it than just chromium, and there are many different blends for all sorts of purposes. Good ol' 316 I find the best all-rounder. Suitable for salt water craft too.

And if China is selling inferior products using less chromium then the geographic origin does have meaning.
Do we test all metals coming from China to make sure they are up to standards?

I suppose that would be up to the person (company) buying from any source.

I can offer a full stainless kit including studs for $25/pair in 316 stainless. If interested, post below and I will put them on the online Store here.
I know it’s been years, but is this still somewhere on the store? I’ve encountered an issue with my “new to me” California Touring

I know it’s been years, but is this still somewhere on the store? I’ve encountered an issue with my “new to me” California Touring
I had no takers, so I never put them online. Email me direct if interested; Info @GuzziTech.com

I have used the manifold domed nuts off a Triumph Speed Twin/Bobber, at about $6 Canadian each and they don't gall and are easy to take off when needed.

I have used the manifold domed nuts off a Triumph Speed Twin/Bobber, at about $6 Canadian each and they don't gall and are easy to take off when needed.

Do you know what the material is used for the nuts? I managed to gall 3 out of the 4 stainless nuts on my Cali 1400 exhaust flange nuts, they are impossible to unscrew, the entire studs unscrewed out of the head.

IIRC, the replacements I used were chromed brass blind nuts.

Nice!! I need the studs as well though. The stock set up rusted and I ended up removing The stud from the head...

Do you know what the material is used for the nuts? I managed to gall 3 out of the 4 stainless nuts on my Cali 1400 exhaust flange nuts, they are impossible to unscrew, the entire studs unscrewed out of the head.

IIRC, the replacements I used were chromed brass blind nuts.
It's some form of alloy, and I've had them off twice since installing with no issues

Back