• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

I cannot get my Norge on the centerstand!!

Sgrabin

Tuned and Synch'ed
I have tried everything. I have watched YouTube videos and read multiple articles. I’ve tried pushing with my right foot while lifting the rear and pushing with my left foot while lifting the rear. I have also tried all this while slowly rolling the bike backwards. Nothing! Cannot get it to work. Very frustrating. Is there some secret or trick to getting the f**cking thing up on the centerstand. What the Hell am I missing??

I’m ready to build a small ramp to lift the back end, but I shouldn’t have to. HELP!

Well I'm just a youngster at 76, but I can do it.
How do you have the rear suspension set? If too soft then the rear of the bike will be lower, requiring more lift to get it on the stand.
Left hand on handlebar, right hand under frame at back, right foot standing on the stand peg.
But if you have much luggage weight it will be more difficult. When mine is fully loaded I don't usually try to get it on the centre stand.

Get a motorcycle mate to do it and watch, then practice with him. I do it the same as Brian, left hand onto left handlebar, right hand down onto rear pillion grip bar, push the bike vertical and keep it balanced there, then right foot onto the stand peg. I then push the stand down untill both feet of the stand sit squarely on the ground. With the stand pushed down I then put my whole weight on the right foot and lift my whole body up, I then lean my body slightly over the bike while still holding on the handlebar and rear grip, the bike will balance in this position, then pull up on the rear grip whilst pushing your right foot down and the bike rolls onto the stand, in theory.

It's more of a finesse thing than muscle. I too use the same technique as Brian and Kevin. I always start with the side stand down. It might help to have a friend on the other side of the bike for confidence. It won't fall away from you once the feet touch the ground but as you know there's no stopping it if it does and having a helper there is a psychological boost.
Once the feet are touching I rock it up onto the stand in one smooth motion. I used to fight it but I finally figured it out.

Last edited:
I recently learned the clutch trick. Put the bike in first gear, right foot on the center stand, right hand on the frame, left hand on the handlebar. Out all of your weight on the center stand - you should be able to balance.your body over the bike. Once you've done that, gently pull up with your right hand while simultaneously pulling in the clutch. The bike will roll right onto the stand.

As the saying goes, "I feel your pain." :swear:

It is a big beast and a challenge to get up on the centerstand ... especially if panniers have anything in them. Doh. :(

What the others say works, but it is never, IMO, easy.

My favorite system is to have my always-good-humored Perfect Pillion & Polish Princess available. :giggle: She draws it backwards while I "kick start" it. Easy-peasy. :clap:

Actually, I rarely use the centerstand, but not (entirely) because it is such a PITA. I just don't see the need.

Moreover, IMO, it is less stable than when on the side stand. I don't worry about "cowtippers," but my EV on its centerstand once blew over in high winds!

Good luck with finding the magic formula for you.

Bill

Attachments

• 5628BF74-D7F6-4C35-A61A-868783F770EC_1_201_a.jpeg
    5628BF74-D7F6-4C35-A61A-868783F770EC_1_201_a.jpeg
    125.9 KB · Views: 25
i’ve watched people do all manner of techniques but they fail to utilize the fulcrum power of the stand correctly.

The center stand is like a impact driver. It is designed to take linear force and turn it into rotational force.

The technique lies in using your right foot, body weight, and inertial in pushing STRAIGHT DOWN on the center stand pawl while bracing your left hand in the handlebar and your right hand on the rear grip. You do not lift anything, you brace yourself with these two points, and focus your weight, energy, and intent STRAIGHT DOWN on that pawl. The design of the stand will cause the bike to rock backwards and right up onto the stand.

When you discover how this works, you can literally use 1 finger on the bar and 1 finger on the rear grab, just for stability, and it will pop right up onto the stand. I’ve demonstrated this many times to the bewilderment of viewers.

Let the lever of the center stand do it’s thing, Don’t fight it.

I need to make a video I think. Hmm....

Last edited:
i’ve watched people do all manner of techniques but they fail to utilize the fulcrum power of the stand correctly.

The center stand is like a impact driver. It is designed to take lateral force and turn it into rotational force.

The technique lies in using your right foot, body weight, and inertial in pushing STRAIGHT DOWN on the center stand pawl while bracing your left hand in the handlebar and your right hand on the rear grip. You do not lift anything, you brace yourself with these two points, and focus your weight, energy, and intent STRAIGHT DOWN on that pawl. The design of the stand will cause the bike to rock backwards and right up onto the stand.

When you discover how this works, you can literally use 1 finger on the bar and 1 finger on the rear grab, just for stability, and it will pop right up onto the stand. I’ve demonstrated this many times to the bewilderment of viewers.

Are you starting with the centerstand already touching the ground? Or are you just balancing the bike, with centerstand fully up, then just stomping it? (Like u said, using it like an impact driver). Everything I’ve seen says to start with the centerstand touching the ground. Maybe I can fly you out to Pittsburgh and u can do it for me! LOL

Are you starting with the centerstand already touching the ground? Or are you just balancing the bike, with centerstand fully up, then just stomping it? (Like u said, using it like an impact driver). Everything I’ve seen says to start with the centerstand touching the ground. Maybe I can fly you out to Pittsburgh and u can do it for me! LOL

Yes, you use your hands and right foot to place BOTH feet of the center stand squarely on the ground. Then all of your force is applied STRAIGHT DOWN on the pawl of the center stand as you use your hands to reinforce your stability to push your energy straight down through your leg. The shape of the center stand will take that linear force, and turn it into rotational force, rocking the bike back onto its stand.

i don’t have a Norge, but I will make a video of me doing it with my Stelvio, California, and 1200 Sport. It’s the same for them all. I’ll do that tonight.

i have very limited space getting my bike out of garage, roll it to get rear wheel onto a plank and place a turntable under the stand, foot on stand and pull up with right hand, left on handlebars. my problem is getting the bike off the centre stand whilst seated on bike, need longer legs i think

i have very limited space getting my bike out of garage, roll it to get rear wheel onto a plank and place a turntable under the stand, foot on stand and pull up with right hand, left on handlebars. my problem is getting the bike off the centre stand whilst seated on bike, need longer legs i think

My legs are long enough and (I think ;)) strong enough, but, I. too, have that issue, at least inside the Moto Grappa. The floor is baby-butt-smooth-finished concrete on one side (storage) and Cheap Chinese wood on the other (shop).

As I mentioned (somewhere above), I rarely use the center stand, tho in my case it can be handy now and then to save space in the MG. When I do, it becomes a struggle to get it down. That's when it helps to have "staff" on call. Thus, as I noted above, "my always-good-humored Perfect Pillion & Polish Princess" has her role down to an art: I sit on the Norge, rock it a bit, and she times her "lift & push" accordingly. :clap:

I married well. :giggle:

Bill

The center stand is like a impact driver. It is designed to take linear force and turn it into rotational force.

My Balabio would do it, this Norge is different

I
I have tried everything. I have watched YouTube videos and read multiple articles. I’ve tried pushing with my right foot while lifting the rear and pushing with my left foot while lifting the rear. I have also tried all this while slowly rolling the bike backwards. Nothing! Cannot get it to work. Very frustrating. Is there some secret or trick to getting the f**cking thing up on the centerstand. What the Hell am I missing??

I’m ready to build a small ramp to lift the back end, but I shouldn’t have to. HELP!
Put a 5/4 piece of pressure treated wood w/front edge angled and roll my bike on that, 08 Norge. Then it pops right up!

Thats inaccurate, no matter mine wont. The stand is too freakin long. After i roll it on a piece of wood it will go up

Back