• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Griso rear suspension travel and its increase.

TweeZ4

Tuned and Synch'ed
A couple of preliminary questions:

1) Griso rear suspension travel is 110 mm per specs. But shock stroke is limited by bump stop. Does this mean that maximal suspension travel in reality is less than 110 mm? Because bump stop "eats" the stroke:)

2) Lets assume that the statement above is correct.
And lets compare Griso (110 mm rear travel) vs Breva/Norge(140 mm rear travel).
Assume that bump stop is 10 mm thick on both bikes and there is no suspension progression via travel (its not the case in reality, but lets assume). And suspension travel /shock stroke ratio= 2.5
Is than Griso's effective suspension travel is 85 mm=110 - (10*2.5) and Breva's 115=140-(10*2.5)

So, the question:
I want a softer, SUV-type ride on a Griso.

Is mounting Breva's/Norge's rear shock on a Griso will give me longer suspension travel and will help with softer ride?
Are shocks interchangeable?

P.S. I've read the case that a man mounted Stelvio's rear shock onto Griso and happy now, but its too much for me.
P.S. Yes, I know about bike riding geomenty, sag, front to end balance. spring rates etc.

Last edited:
The suspension travel published would be including the effects of the bump stop. The published suspension travel is not reduced by the factory bump stop.
Longer suspension travel does not directly equate to a softer suspension.
A better rear shock, with the right rate spring and matching damping, should give you a better ride. Bolting up a stock Norge / Breva rear shock likely will not give you a better ride.

Longer suspension travel does not directly equate to a softer suspension.
A better rear shock, with the right rate spring and matching damping, should give you a better ride.Bolting up a stock Norge / Breva rear shock likely will not give you a better ride.

Longer suspension travel have advantage in terms of achievable comfort on the bad road.

And.... I have front and rear Matris setup with all (preload, compression, rebound) with right springs on my V9, and what this bike lacks is rear suspension travel. I mean on the roads I ride :)
So does the Griso.

The Griso shock is undersprung for most riders, and too firm of valving unless you are on the racetrack, and even then it's not great.
The Breva/Norge shock is softly spung and softly valved, and is arguably worse than the Griso shock. I don't recommend it.
The Stelvio shock is 25mm longer, and is also not great as to ride.
In order to achieve what you want, it is best to have a shock made for your weight and riding desires.
I've put a very affordable shock online here; https://gtmotocycles.com/collections/suspension/products/gtm-mshock -- all listed here; https://gtmotocycles.com/collections/suspension/model_griso-1200?sort_by=price-ascending

Longer suspension travel have advantage in terms of achievable comfort on the bad road.

And.... I have front and rear Matris setup with all (preload, compression, rebound) with right springs on my V9, and what this bike lacks is rear suspension travel. I mean on the roads I ride :)
So does the Griso.
While more travel does add the POSSIBILITY of a more comfortable ride, it does not automatically deliver a better ride. The ride quality is determined by the spring rate and valving of the shock, and to a lesser extent by the length of the shocks travel. But travel is only an issue when you don't have enough. The Griso has enough travel to deliver a nice ride if the shock has the right spring rate and valving. If you have a motorcycle that does not have enough suspension travel running a longer shock can add suspension travel, but only at the cost of a higher seat height and possible issues with altered geometry to deal with. Installing a better quality shock that is properly sprung and valved WILL improve ride comfort. I have ridden more than a few motorcycle with aftermarket shocks that were sprung and valved for my weight. It is an easy improvement that you will not get by installing a stock Breva / Norge or Stelvio shock on a Griso.

The Griso shock is undersprung for most riders, and too firm of valving unless you are on the racetrack, and even then it's not great.
The Breva/Norge shock is softly spung and softly valved, and is arguably worse than the Griso shock. I don't recommend it.
The Stelvio shock is 25mm longer, and is also not great as to ride.
In order to achieve what you want, it is best to have a shock made for your weight and riding desires.
I've put a very affordable shock online here; https://gtmotocycles.com/collections/suspension/products/gtm-mshock -- all listed here; https://gtmotocycles.com/collections/suspension/model_griso-1200?sort_by=price-ascending

thanks for this. I'm currently researching into how to improve the suspension on my Norge, discovering what you've stated, hence finding this search result. Even the Norge forks need help.

thanks for this. I'm currently researching into how to improve the suspension on my Norge, discovering what you've stated, hence finding this search result. Even the Norge forks need help.
I installed the Matris front fork kit and Matris rear shock on my Norge. The improvement is phenomenal. Both available here at Todd's store linked above.

The kit can be shipped outside the US.
... Australia ... Sure it can be shipped, but at an additional 1/3rd of the price of the product just for the shipping. Then there's the exchange rate. Tyranny of distance, and all that...

... Australia ... Sure it can be shipped, but at an additional 1/3rd of the price of the product just for the shipping. Then there's the exchange rate. Tyranny of distance, and all that...

You won't know for sure until you get a shipping estimate from Todd. Use the contact button in the Store to request the estimate for shipping. It is shipped from California so the Continental US isn't in the way, just the Pacific ocean!!

If you are in the UK, the shipping isn't too bad, and Todd sells a quality product with great back up.
You won't know for sure until you get a shipping estimate from Todd. Use the contact button in the Store to request the estimate for shipping. It is shipped from California so the Continental US isn't in the way, just the Pacific ocean!!
Thanks guys. Totals with shipping are best handled via the online Store on the checkout screen. I do refund down to cost if the amount seems high, but as stated, costs often are required to get the product to me, then to you. The irony is that most of the products that I don't make, come from Europe, and cannot drop ship. I ship Worldwide almost daily.

Back