• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Griso swing arm disassembly

BrianR

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Famiglia
It can be done with a Mastercraft jack under the sump once the rear wheel and bevel box are removed as the front wheel sinks to the floor with a couple of straps to the side.
It looked intimidating as I mulled it over but once both of the side plates were removed, the swing arm came off to reveal bearings and races in beautiful shape and just needed regreasing as did the suspension linkage bearings and then the rear shock was removed and a Wilbers unit (an offer I couldn't refuse as it was brand new and set for someone the same weight as me and was only $300) put on.
I did notice a little gear oil in the swing arm housing, but it is from the rubber seal on the bevel box as the lower lip wasn't correctly in place and there were no signs of leakage from the front and both gearbox and bevel box oils were at the correct level.
Now I just have to wait for 2 fuel injectors from Todd (at a very reasonable price I may add) and the Griso can join the Stelvio in being ready for the road, a road that has been run by two Kawasakis in the interim.
I couldn't do this stuff without knowing that there weren't resources like all you guys who won't laugh (at least to my face!) at my adventures with tools

Nice job, and great find on the Wilbers, heard nothing but great reports on those.
I picked up an Ohlins for my Stelvio recently, as part of a bundle of parts (along with a 2012 Stelvio, and a 2008 Stelvio 'project' Bike).
Unfortunately, the Reservoir on it fouls on the Cross-Over Pipe I made for the twin Cans I have on it (2004 R1 Silencers).
Might be able to make something to move the shock down a bit, but for now, the BMW S1000R Shock remains.

The CARC rear ends come apart very easily, I can have my Stelvio (rear) fully apart in around 20mins, it's all very well designed and assembled.

Worth putting Grease Nipples in the Linkages while it's all apart I think.
Linkage

Not sure what the Griso Frame is like around the Swing-Arm Bearings, but on the Stelvio, there's no way to fit Grease Nipples for those, so I had to come up with a viable alternative . . .

SwingArmAxle2Dia

Worth putting Grease Nipples in the Linkages while it's all apart I think.
View attachment 22510

Not sure what the Griso Frame is like around the Swing-Arm Bearings, but on the Stelvio, there's no way to fit Grease Nipples for those, so I had to come up with a viable alternative . . .

View attachment 22509

Did you drill those channels and install the nipples ?
Not something I have the tools or comfort level to tackle !

Good job !

Given my uneducated skills and overall buggeritupness, I don't understand why greasing the swing arm at those points is beneficial as once greased it isn't really under a lot of stress/friction as the bearing takes most of the wear and the bearing sits further inboard of the holes in the "bulgy" parts, and after 70,000kms I didn't see anything wrong that a film of good grease wouldn't fix. Not that I don't admire your work and patience, as it is beautiful and i may well be missing things, or more likely am totally missing quelques choses

I suppose I did it more to see if it was feasible, if anyone wanted to have the option of Greasing without disassembly.

As it all comes apart so easily and quickly, it's no real chore to strip it every 12~18months or so.
There's a hell of a lot to be said for such a simple, well designed, and easy to work on Bike.

Just got home from the Adventure Rider Festival weekender.

A friend was there on his Aprilia Capo Nord.
I had to laugh (hard) when he told me it's a 10hr/£1000 job just to check the Valve Clearances.
If I'd had a set of Allen Keys with me, I'd have taken 10mins to show him mine . . . :D

Back