• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Breva wont start

scate

Just got it firing!
Need a little help.

Bike in question is a 2008 Breva 1200 sport

The owner of this bike is an acquaintance of mine and the bike was a running bike prior to repairs done. The bike ran great but 3 miles down the road at this point it died and hasnt started again. The bike will crank but does not start. My first instinct was to go over what was last touched but not finding anything that could have caused the issue.

Error codes P0351 Left coil short circuit to battery positive, P0352 Right coil short circuit to battery positive

Repairs done:

First thing that was done was replacing a clutch lever after she dropped it in the driveway (pretty straight forward repair).

Second was to replace her oil pressure sensor. She was getting a random error light that came and went but wasn’t throwing a code. After some research she thought it was worth replacing to see if the sensor was the culprit.

To replace the sensor, I had to change out the connector to match the new style sensor. I also removed the revolution sensor to make access to the pressure sensor easier.

Everything seems good here. The revolution senor is recognized and throws a code if disconnected and diagnostic software sees rpms as the engine is cranking.

Battery was also replaced. Battery was weak and could only start the bike once or twice without recharging. Bike was started multiple times with no issues with new battery.

Diagnosing Codes:

Ive tested both positive sides on the plugs going to each coil. I took a light tester to the positive wire of the coil plug and went to battery ground. At start up the light filps on then off when you hear the relay click, and lights up when cranking the motor.

However on the negative side. Taking the light tester from positive battery to negative wire of coil plug I get no light. The ecu doesn’t seem to be giving me the ground I need.

At this point Im thinking a bad ecu or ground wire from ecu.

I haven’t gotten a chance to look to deeply at the ecu. It appears the ecu ground is blue green wire and is bolted to the under side of the ecu? From this bolt to battery ground I have continuity.

Just wanting to get others point of view on this. Thanks for the help.

Hi. Not sure what you are trying to do with all of that. It's not making sense to me. I doubt your ECU is bad. More likely, the coil.

Go to a local auto parts store and get yourself a spark gap jump tool like this. (I actually have 4 of them just in case I am working on a 4 cylinder and want to observe all spark firing.)

Lil 20700 xl

Place it in between the ignition wire and the plug, clip the cord to a good known ground point on the engine, and crank the engine.

Observe the brightness and sound of the spark, if any.

If there is no spark jumping the gap, then you indeed have a bad coil which can be verified by reading the primary and secondary resistance across the coil.

Post your results back here.

Hi. Not sure what you are trying to do with all of that. It's not making sense to me. I doubt your ECU is bad. More likely, the coil.

Go to a local auto parts store and get yourself a spark gap jump tool like this. (I actually have 4 of them just in case I am working on a 4 cylinder and want to observe all spark firing.)

View attachment 22558

Place it in between the ignition wire and the plug, clip the cord to a good known ground point on the engine, and crank the engine.

Observe the brightness and sound of the spark, if any.

If there is no spark jumping the gap, then you indeed have a bad coil which can be verified by reading the primary and secondary resistance across the coil.

Post your results back here.
I picked one up. I do have spark. So proceeded toward fuel. I shot a little starter fluid down the intake and the bike started right up.

pull the fuel line, push start button. if fuel shoots out, at least the pump/filter assembly is working.

I suspect it won't, and you'll be replacing the fuel filter.

I can here the whirl of the pump when I turn the key on. I disconnected the fuel hose, when flipping on the key no fuel pumps out.

I can here the whirl of the pump when I turn the key on. I disconnected the fuel hose, when flipping on the key no fuel pumps out.
ah ha! I guess you know what you're doing next.

edit: wait, did you push the start button?

Back