• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7-850 issues

radioheadmike

Tuned and Synch'ed
About 100km on the bike and I'm already getting a check engine light with the following issues:

1. Takes about two to three attempts for the engine to turn over on a cold start.

2. Stop and go traffic, the engine will idle around 2,000 -2500 rpm temporarily and then go back to normal idling

3. Check engine is due to Air temperature sensor (according to a nearby MG mechanic but did not provide me the code so I'm skeptical.

Other than that the bike rides smoothly. No smoke, no weird smells , no puddles or leaks.

And to add it's been crazy hot 25 degrees Celsius + and humid where I'm currently living

About 100km on the bike and I'm already getting a check engine light with the following issues:

1. Takes about two to three attempts for the engine to turn over on a cold start.

2. Stop and go traffic, the engine will idle around 2,000 -2500 rpm temporarily and then go back to normal idling

3. Check engine is due to Air temperature sensor (according to a nearby MG mechanic but did not provide me the code so I'm skeptical.

Other than that the bike rides smoothly. No smoke, no weird smells , no puddles or leaks.

And to add it's been crazy hot 25 degrees Celsius + and humid where I'm currently living

All these issues should be covered under warranty. What does your dealer have to say about it?

All these issues should be covered under warranty. What does your dealer have to say about it?

My dealer said to bring it in. I'll likely bring it in in the coming weeks and provide an update here. But considering the dealership is quite the ride from where I live, I thought I'd share my experience and see if anyone might know what's causing these issues.

Oil Temp Sensor issue. Bike worked fine when they swapped it from another bike from their inventory. They are ordering a new one. All is well :)

Out of curiosity what is the difference between Head Temperature Sensor, Engine Temperature Sensor, and Oil Temperature Sensor (not oil pressure sensor). The MG service station manual seems to be a bit confusing as there is no reference to Oil Temperature Sensor, but they do reference the other two sensors. I am thinking many different names for the same thing?

In case someone else is having similar issues and wants to do the work themselves, this is the part: shop.tlm.nl/en/oil-temperature-sensor-v85tt-1a016442-moto-guzzi

I ordered an extra one in case it fails again.

Re: the idle problem
Does it resembled what I'm seeing on my V85TT? (Video below)
It only happens intermittently. There is a known issue with some 2021 V85's with this idle issue. I took it into the dealer to get it sorted, and they so far have not been able to resolve it. The issue had something to do with routing of a sensor (crank position sensor, maybe?) too close to ignition coils/wires, creating interference on the sensor. They did the necessary work to re-route wiring, but... the problem persists for me. As they are essentially the same motor, I wouldn't be surprised if the new 850 V7s could be having the same problem.

__Jason

Re: the idle problem
Does it resembled what I'm seeing on my V85TT? (Video below)
It only happens intermittently. There is a known issue with some 2021 V85's with this idle issue. I took it into the dealer to get it sorted, and they so far have not been able to resolve it. The issue had something to do with routing of a sensor (crank position sensor, maybe?) too close to ignition coils/wires, creating interference on the sensor. They did the necessary work to re-route wiring, but... the problem persists for me. As they are essentially the same motor, I wouldn't be surprised if the new 850 V7s could be having the same problem.

__Jason

Nope. Mine shoots up to 2-3k RPM idles there while the clutch is in (at a stop). As I let go, it goes back to 1200-1500 RPM. You could try and test the oil temp sensor by removing it and test using a multimeter.

Note that in my case, I'm not getting any check engine warning at all. It just sometimes has problems idling, but works fine most of the time.

__Jason

Note that in my case, I'm not getting any check engine warning at all. It just sometimes has problems idling, but works fine most of the time.

__Jason

Erratic Idling is a symptom of IAT sensor issues on vehicles. IAT Sensor on our bikes is the Oil Temp Sensor (I think after reading the service manual) . I likely got the CEL because of a few hard starts (also a symptom of IAT issues). I really think you should test out the sensor. Confirm its running as expected.

As Stated in the Service Station Manual:
Function indicates the engine temperature to the control unit so as to optimise carburetion and idle control

JW, that is exactly what my 2020 started doing somewhere about 7-10,000 miles. But, only on cold start up. Once 20-30 seconds pass it settles into a normal idle and it never does it hot!
Let us know what you find out.

One interesting thing... the dealer was originally going to give me a different bike, but issued me a different VIN the day before I was going to pick up because the first one had some problems. Turns out... it was the same exact problem. The one they were going to give me exhibited the problem on their test ride, and the one they did give me did not show the problem, so they thought it was good. However, I started noticing the problem on the "replacement" bike shortly after bringing it home.

__Jason

Jason, reading more on this; The ECU is built into the throttle body, which mean intake air sensor is within the ECU. It uses both the Oil Temp Sensor (aka Head/Engine Temp Sensor) & the Ambient Temperature (guessing the sensor in the instrument cluster)

Have you also checked the Ambient Temp Sensor? Is it reading the right temp on your dash?

Here is the details from the doc:

Idle speed management: The ECU manages idle speed completely automatically. To allow idle speed management, the throttle body has a throttle valve by-pass duct controlled by a stepper motor. The ECU defines a target idle speed in relation to operating conditions (engine temperature, ambient temperature etc.), and actuates the stepper motor accordingly to maintain the idle speed at this target value. The idle speed is therefore calculated by the ECU and cannot be modified.

I've put about 300 km after the Temp Sensor was replaced. Bike is riding beautifully - I am starting to experience the charm of owning an MG. Looking forward to my Agostini silencers :rock:

Back