• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Edson to Yukon and back - July 2021

Brett

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Left Edson on July 1st in the sweltering heat. An hour later stopped in Whitecourt for a break and a wheel retorque when I discovered my other valve cover gasket was leaking (appears to be different than my spares). One hot shot from my eldest daughter and a parking lot repair later, back on the road and have arrived with my wife and son in Whitehorse many days later. Head out for a Tim’s run first morning here and what is the first bike I see in bombing around, a California 1400 (custom I believe). Hopefully will catch up with better images of the tour in time. Most pictures are stranded on the camera currently. Here are a few pictures including E430E311 6F52 4E34 B0A6 C6169C6BB6DE

B461A6D0 E192 4F32 8299 E4C53DEFE487 a picture of our view at 11pm.

Last edited:
Love it, super jealous of your tour! The heat wave kinda smushed my confidence in riding during my time off.... I can usually fix something if it goes wrong, but it would have taken time, time that I didn't want to spend in blistering 35 degree weather :(

Love it, super jealous of your tour! The heat wave kinda smushed my confidence in riding during my time off.... I can usually fix something if it goes wrong, but it would have taken time, time that I didn't want to spend in blistering 35 degree weather :(
It was nice by day 2 when we encountered cooler temps and a bit of rain. The first day was so so hot. As soon as you stopped anywhere you just started melting.

Day 1 - Edson to Peace River - 408 km

Apologies - these will be long entries and it will take awhile for me to catch up. I am now realizing there are some photos on my Wife's phone that I need to retrieve. I am really wishing I had done better in my English classes. I wanted to post these while we were on the tour but time did not permit as well as connectivity - I also was trying to immerse myself in the first true getaway we have had in two years.

Sitting on pins and needles watching all the Covid openings transpire and deciding weather or not to cancel our trip through BC and Yukon. Thankfully our vaccinations landed on the right times and would land us at 15 days fully vaccinated as we crossed the Yukon/BC border but our Son was not and that was going to be an issue with the Yukon government as they were requiring all people to be vaccinated. Most of the time my eager ambition loses out to immovable circumstance - but not this time. Mid June I was about to modify the trip to exclude the Yukon due to their vaccination requirements, thankfully the Yukon changed this rule to allow the ineligible to accompanied by fully vaccinated people!!!! Perfect, thank god I didn't change anything yet, now, what about BC? Rumor had it, they were going to lift restrictions for July 1st to include all Canadian visitors and allow them to cross the border from the east. Unfortunately they would not announce it until July 1st. Seeing as most other provinces had eased the restrictions, I decided to gamble our fate (which I don't do often because of my hereditary bad luck).
P7010083
Myself, my wife, Father-in-law and our youngest seeing us off. Not sure where my mother-in-law and son ventured off to. my eldest taking the photo at departure.

It was a reasonable start by our standards 10:07 am. Most of our trips start with an early afternoon launch due to a lack of prep the week before or last minute errands. We usually start late with far to much ground to cover in reasonable time - this time I feel great about or start time. This was only the second ride for my 10 year old son so after 94 km's, decided to have a break out of the beating sun at the circle K in Whitecourt. Keep in mind, his first ride was a 110 km's two weeks before. Weather was clear, sunny and hhhhhoooooottttttt. Given our resistance to riding without our protective pants and jackets, as soon as we stop all the gear needs to come off before the river of sweat starts and we can always look forward to putting it back on which seems to eat the minutes. We take our jackets off, leave the riding pants on and head in to dewater. Coming back out I decide that there seems to be a circle of wet oil under the bike that wasn't there before. Nonsense Brett, you are being foolish, you have been riding this to work off and on for a month and you would have seen this before now. Plus you had just fixed the poorly installed valve cover gasket on the right side 3 months prior to this trip that the shit mechanic at Echo Cycle had installed some years ago and looked the bike over at that time and found no additional leaks or issues and very specifically had looked at the left side valve cover and it appeared fine (voice in my head had been screaming "just do it" but I managed to overpower it). Looking closer, well F@@k, yup, that's oil from the valve cover gasket on the left now. Pause, deep breath, curse out the old Moto Guzzi dealership of Echo cycle, praise that they are no longer selling the bikes because they are not worthy and enter into deep thoughts. Option 1 - ride home the hour, fix, then flip around. arrival time would be really late in Peace. Option 2 - have eldest daughter hot shot part I know is sitting in the motorcycle parts drawer in my garage, flange scrapper just in case and some addition 10W60. Yes indeed, Option 2, that is the way, that way I can have it ready for reinstall when she arrives (Just happened to fine tune the tools and carry everything required to repair most things on the bike......yes, including a torque wrench). A special thanks to the mechanic that did come by from a local company and ask if I required any assistance or tools. wish I remembered the company name. As annoyed as I was, thankfully this did not happen on the Cassiar. She was there in an hour and 10 minutes, everything was going back together within 10 minutes of that and what I imagine to be John Zibell's voice running through my head on guidance I had read from a previous thread going through my mind for the second time this year on valve cover fastener torque - "Tee handle - hand tight is enough". Each fastener reaching the proper torque in my mind (click ) 2 hours after the call was made, we had hugged and said our farewells and watch Kaitlyn drive off back to Edson. Crisis averted! Thanks kid!
IMG 8350
you can see where on both sides the gasket was squished out of the way allowing oil out and possible contaminants in.

64685731675  0980E3AC B10B 4BC9 AC38 060D2CD0C94C Awaiting parts. Eating a quick snack before heading inside to wash the valve cover in the sink to remove gasket bits. I ensured the sink was clean and oil free when complete.

APC 0004
Hot shot has arrived!

P7010088
Parts in hand and going back together - I see the light......

We were back on the road by shortly after 1:00 pm. Stopped at Tim's in Valleyview - This was the first time we have went into a restaurant since the restrictions were lifted.........why do I feel strange here........oh right, I am still wearing my mask (which we all chose to due as we new the Yukon still had the mandatory mask - and I am quite happy not having been sick for 17 months now). Temperature - unbearable when not moving, thankfully I have no windscreen and get great wind exposure. Confirm repair is not leaking. Fill up both bikes while my travel companions hide in the Tim's AC. Gear up and back on the road. Time is............weird, this is starting to feel like vacation!

Left Valleyview and made Peace River in one push. Arrived at 5:30 pm at the Best Western. Not bad given it was the first day and had to complete a road side repair. Should have stayed downtown were there was more choices for food. Found one restaurant near by and walked to it, as we approached it became apparent that it had succumb to Covid as well (a trend we would see repeated throughout our trip). Turned around and looked at the Freson Brother IGA - my wife and I would have been more than happy there as they had an amazing deli and seating area, but the young man did not see anything that tempted his pallet (later realizing he did not see the mashed potatoes and gravy). Mr. Mikes it is. Seated and yet again a weird feeling to be in a restaurant with everyone mask less. What was wrong with me!? Why do I feel so dirty? Why do I feel compelled to wash my hands every 10 minutes (I resist)? Has Covid turn me into a germaphobe? The three of us talk about this during supper and decide it is time to commit to this and stop feeling weird, be cautious, be mindful, wash our hands when possible and wear a mask (it will keep us from catching a flu/cold and will help not pass it along to our unvaccinated son in addition to screwing with the people around us who think us all unvaccinated!). The food was less than inspiring, large portions (need to control the overeating as exercise is no so easy when riding). Why do people like Mr. Mikes so much? Maybe it is just the novelty of eating out again after being restricted for so long. We decide we will not be back any time soon (no offence Mr. Mikes, but it isn't our cup of tea). We leave our son in the room for some tele, he was a great copilot day one of his first major ride, he earned some wind down. My wife and I go for an evening walk.

P7010091
Arrived and checked in. Yet to move into the room.

Like every trip, something will need to be done with our bags, need to access things in a more orderly fashion. I decide I will do a bit each day until it is a well oiled machine. I am not a neat freak or overly organized, unless we are speaking about Motorcycles or Back country camping, then a weird OCD comes over me. Everything has its place on the bike, I just need to fine tune it for ease. That evening I start educating my Son on how everything has its place, it should be returned to its place so that you can always find it and can see when it is missing and will not leave it or lose it. He listens attentively and shows me he understands by showing my his camera pocket and ear plug pocket. Good boy.

Tomorrows forecast looks to be slightly cooler - high twenties, sunny and clouding up later in the day as we progress (high seventies, lower eighties)

Lights out by about 11:00pm

Day 2 - Peace River to Buffalo Inn (Pink Mountain BC) - 408 km

Where has the time went?! I have decided to finally catch up. Life apparently caught up and stole my time (excuses I know). Left Peace River via hwy. 64 over to Fort St. John. Came across the End of Steel Museum which had just opened due to restrictions. we were the only people there for most of our time. Some of the photos are out of focus as my then 10 year old was the photographer. APC 0005 P7020098 P7020111 P7020115 P7020119

P7020152
I think my Mother still has this bike.........

APC 0009
The life of a biker, you have to sleep when you have to sleep.

P7020180
Getting a bit of off roading in.

P7030191
Oasis in the remote wilderness......or something like that. Drizzle set in as we arrived. Tomorrows forecast is less promising.

Day 3 - Buffalo Inn (Pink Mountain BC) to Tetsa River Lodge - 342 km

Drizzling rain this morning. Not unpleasant. By Fort Nelson the cold had saturated us so opted for a well timed Tim's break. Anytime we stopped there was no traffic. This day we had stopped for over 20 minutes at one point and not a single vehicle went by. It was good timing to cross into BC right as the restrictions had lifted. Nobody was travelling yet.

APC 0014
Time for a road side snack break.

P7030193
Getting the photographer into position!

APC 0015
Time for a reprieve from the rain with a hot coffee and some low sugar snacks.......

APC 0019
Very warm and cozy cabin.

P7040208
Looking forward to Cinnamon bun breakfast. Had made it just before closing time. Had fresh soup, bread and butter for supper. My son fell in love with Jiggs dinner soup. Had great conversation with Gail while Ben was busy in the kitchen. Apparently there is no picture of inside, we must have been famished.

Day 4 - Tetsa River Lodge to Northern Rockies Lodge (Muncho Lake) - 136 km

Short day on the bikes today. Have some hiking and swimming planned. This was one of the first trips that we managed to take gear for all eventualities and still close the lids without a compactor required. Repairs are hanging in there. APC 0025
Oh the stories the north could tell. The years have been unkind to so many businesses.

P7040221
Hiking from Summit lake up to Flower Springs Lake, almost there.

APC 0021
Flower Springs Lake

IMG 8357 jpg 2
Picnic Table along the way was handy for us to feed ourselves as well as the Mosquitos

P7040225
Late Lunch at Toad River. It is becoming obvious that I need some sort of small tripod, it is impossible to get a good photo of all of us together without help. In 2013 we came through here and ate at the old restaurant that was here prior to the upgraded building being built in its place. Sad that they did not keep the menu, in 2013 the burger was hand made and cooked well. This time it was a frozen burger that had any potential mad cow disease cooked out of it. I was so looking forward to recreating the enjoyment I took eating the food in 2013, but it was not to be. Change is good right.........

P7050229
Our Destination. Amazing place with a price tag to match its appearance.

P7050232
AGIP was there.

Last edited:
Day 5 - Northern Rockies Lodge (Muncho Lake) to Watson Lake - 265 km

Another high mileage day.........Things to see, more flowers to smell, buffalo road apples to dodge.

P7050247
They sure are big. My son was completely taken by these wild animals roaming.

Need to soothe our bodies in the Liard Hot Springs due to all these long days.......
P7050233
The walk in

P7050234 P7050243
The reward

APC 0027
Need to stop for the border photo as it was my Son's first time up here.

P7050258
P7050259
Found strawberries while stretching, better pick them as you never know where the next meal will be.

APC 0029
P7050260
Made it to Watson. God Bless Michael and the Air Force Lodge. No other place to stay. The lodge is an old Air Force accommodations that Michael fixed up many years ago. Camp style rooms with one or two singles or a king bed. We opted for the king and a roll away cot which my son slept on. Community sitting area with microwave, kettle and some warm and cold beverages available. Community toilets and shower rooms. All of which is spotless. Michael is a joy to speak with, he is a wealth of knowledge, history and entertainment.

P7060262
Unfortunately the Northern Lights Centre was not open on the day we were here. But look at all these signs.
P7060268 P7060266
Near my wife's old stomping grounds.

P7060272
Wow, the current stomping grounds are even here!

P7060263
I can't imagine building the Alaska Highway and the Canol Pipeline and Roads with this type of equipment.

Day 6, 7, 8 - Watson Lake to Whitehorse - 437 km

Made our way to Whitehorse for a few down days and exploration

P7060281
A quick hike for some water fall observing

APC 0035
Stopped at Teslin for fuel and poutine of course. We will be making our way back on our way out and spend the night.

APC 0038
P7060293
Made it! Long days of light. Home for a few days.

P7070295 P7070309
Checked out the historic local transportation. Incredible what humans can achieve.

P7070323
A visit to the MacBride Museum. Far more talent than I am capable of.

P7070369
Can't visit the Yukon without some gold panning. Unfortunately I will have to keep working as the flakes they planted were not worth enough for my liking.

P7080407
Yukon Beringia Interpretive Centre. Who knew!

P7080417
P7080424 P7080426
Yukon Transportation Museum. Pretty interesting.

P7070386
Lumel studios. Can't say enough. Just kind of stumbled across it while walking. We were standing back not sure what was happening and the owner Luann just called us in and grabbed my son to come and try his hand. She is amazing. He made his "Dragon Spit" glass paper weight.

IMG 0262
Needed to prove I wasn't getting too old to my Son

IMG 8361 2 Due to the flooding we were urged to go see the dam. We were not disappointed. Oh what a roar.

IMG 0266
This was actually on our way out the next day. Miles canyon. Amazing that the paddle wheelers were pulled through here.

Day 9 - Whitehorse to Teslin - 177 km

Started a bit late after breakfast and our walk at Miles Canyon.

APC 0052
Stopped at Johnsons Crossing for a coffee and a nibble. Great view of the bridge. There is a lot of history in this area. Best Cinnamon bun on the Alaska Highway. I believe it is better than the Tetsa River "Cinnamon bun centre of the Galactic universe" (That one is still good though)

IMG 0268
DSC 3601
Road trip birthday at Teslin. Very cute town. Took a walk around after the celebrations and spoke to multiple friendly people.

Day 10 - Teslin to Jade City (Vines and Puppies) - 368 km

Just a drive it day and enjoy the road, and it is a good road with lots of twisties. My son and I had to jump ahead and take the road at the speed limit as it twisted and turned ahead of us. I could almost feel his smile radiating on the back of my head.....

Do you think there are berries in here?

IMG 0278

DSC 3608 DSC 3606
We are fans of the show. It was great to see it in person. Recognized some people at the store but the main people were at the mine.

IMG 0290 IMG 0279
Vines and Puppies Hideaway B&B. This was the hidden jem on the trip. Located on the Dease Lake highway. Came with hot supper that was already in the oven when we arrived as well as breakfast.

P7100432
Loft room.

P7100435
Extremely tasty supper.

DSC 3612
Will it hold us.......

DSC 3613 DSC 3622
I "WILL" get up this creek!

DSC 3614
Some water sports in the evening. Thank the gods above for bug jackets.

DSC 3619
Here fishy fishy!! Dad, If you hand me the rod and I will show you how it is done!

Last edited:
Day 11 - Jade City (Vines and puppies) to Stewart BC - 497 km

While booking the trip it was difficult to find places to stay due to mines doing shutdowns and some hydro projects in the area. I am certain Covid did not help as well. Turned out to be a blessing as it forced me to look far and wide for accommodations. I had spoke to many people around me that would not travel the Dease Lake highway. I am fortunate I did not listen as it is one of my favorite places to travel now .

IMG 0287
Worlds best shower with a great view! Yes, it had hot running water in the shower. Shower curtain optional!

IMG 0286
Breakfast of champions. Leftover steak, fresh eggs and some "fresh" swedish raspberries. I found some chive in the yard and helped myself to a few stalks for the eggs.

IMG 0289
Getting ready to depart.

Seem to be missing a few photos in here. I recommend the Dease Lake highway though. amazingly beautiful.

IMG 0292
Dease Lake. Amazing flowers

DSC 3625
On the way into Stewart. Maybe you can get it to skip.......

IMG 0300 DSC 3627
Home for the night. What an amazing place. Should have booked for a few nights. Still recovering from Covid, not much open, good thing the room had a kitchenette.

IMG 0293
More abandoned equipment.

IMG 0303
Funky mainstream.

IMG 0298
Time for a walk through the Estuary Boardwalk.

Last edited:
Day 12 - Stewart to Prince Rupert - 454 km

DSC 3630
Gitwangak Battle Hill National Historic Site - what a major undertaking that must have been. The photo does not do it justice.

APC 0063
Made it to Prince Rupert. Another nice room.

IMG 8377
Had to find fish and chips - Bob's on the Rocks it is! Some of the local wildlife was bird dogging for leftover fries.

IMG 8376
I like the boats. This one might be in my price range.

IMG 8379
Better go for a walk to earn our calories for the day. I was not popular when I suggested where my son could walk if he wanted.......

IMG 8380
Found berries

IMG 8381
Need something to wash the salty chips and berries down.

IMG 8383
Great sunset.

Day 13 - Rupert down day, really really down.

Enjoyed our room with a bit of a sleep in. Took a call around 11 am from my hysterical father-in-law. My Mother-in-law had passed away at our house while my Father-in-law was watering the garden and my youngest was upstairs playing. Gutting. We are extremely far from home at this time. I spend the morning calling for a rental vehicle and found a place to store the bikes. Unfortunately thanks to Covid and all the work in the area, there isn't a vehicle or U-Haul van to rent between Rupert and Edson. Stress and sorrow.

IMG 8389

After exhausting all efforts to find a vehicle, one of the gentlemen my wife spoke to suggest hiking up to Mt. Hays to pay tribute to my mother-in-law. Far better than sitting around the hotel that day. By the end of the day, my wife had decided she could safely drive home. She is the strongest woman I know. we decided to spend the night and depart for Rupert in the morning.

IMG 8398
Oh to be a kid again.

IMG 0310
Big tree.

IMG 0314
A smile through the pain.

IMG 8394
The view from the top

Last edited:
Day 14 - Prince Rupert to Prince George - 718 km

Thankfully made the miles.
IMG 8408
Little bugger was a trooper. His longest day by far, but needed a nap.

P7140438
Crazy smokey.

Day 15 - Prince George to Edson - 537 km

Stopped at the ancient forest and read the signs. Stopped in McBride for a coffee and a snack. Not much else. Made it home and allowed the family grieving to start. Life is short. Enjoy it while it lasts. Take care of yourself and treat others as you would want them to treat you.

IMG 0332

Great pictures and beautiful scenery! My nephew and I rode the Alaska Highway south on rental bikes in 2019 so I recognize some of the places. The sign forest in Watson Lake is incredible. The museums in Whitehorse are also worth the time. It is unfortunate that so many restaurants and other visitor/tourist support businesses were unable to survive the COVID lockdowns.

I am sorry for your family's loss and hope you have many good memories.

Back