• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Cal1400 Rectifier / Stator replacement

Michael N

Just got it firing!
Hi,
My 2014 California Custom 1400 has an electrical problem, which started when I replaced the horns (with Stebel). Even with 14V showing when the bike was running, the horns would only work occasionally. I thought it might be the battery and had one on order, but yesterday was on the freeway and wanted to test the horn - pressed the button, watched the voltage drop, and once it hit 12.7 the Urgent Service warning light came on (and now the battery is not getting charged.) I checked the fuses, but unfortunately that was not the problem.

I read other threads (and noted the recall), but wonder whether anyone here has replaced the rectifier on their Cal1400? How about the stator? Where is the rectifier located (so I can test it.)

Thanks!
Michael

I think the first move would be to replace the battery.
Thanks for the quick reply. I have a new battery coming Monday, but I don't think its the problem– the current one holds a charge (I trickle charged it and it reads 12.3V) I don't think there's any power going to it from the charging system, so I was hoping to find out where the rectifier is and put a voltmeter on it.

My memory is fading me, but I think the rectifier built into the generator. It's called a generator in the parts manual, possibly because if the rectifier wasn't included it would be called an alternator. Seems logical?

Unfortunately, I don't have any of my two Cali 1400 customs at home with me, and we are currently in Covid lockdown.

Wow! Your memory is good. The local dealer (in San Francisco, who unfortunately are not skillful) got back to me with parts availability, and mentioned that they searched and searched and couldn't find a rectifier in the microfiche. They said they could order a generator (which takes 2+ weeks), and it wasn't a ton of money, but in the meantime I'll try to test the power at the alternator connection... The fact that the MG manual shows an "alternator connection" to the engine is strange (insofar as its not technically an alternator, as you point out.)

It looks like the generator is between the two cylinders - has anyone here replaced one?

I'd just wait until the battery turns up. It might solve all of your issues.
Thanks Dave. From your mouth to G-ds, ears ;).
Unfortunately, I think the new battery is an unlikely solution. When the problem hit yesterday, the bike showed the battery was at 11.8V (instead of the usual 13.7-14V when the charging system is working.) I had to drive over 40 miles, watching the voltage drop as it powered the engine... I made it home with only 8.4V left (it was a miracle it ran - ABS and MGTC lights went on when the voltage dropped below 10. Last night I trickle charged the battery, and its hold a charge (back above 12V), so there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the battery system ;(.

Im just looking for illustrations of how to remove the tank... this forum had some conflicting instructions (including having to remove the eagle medallion, which seems weird.)

Thank you for your help!

Hi Michael. Welcome to the GT Forum. I will encourage you to read the two paragraphs in red above, use the search function and read. ALL of your questions are well answered here. This is a self help website, and many here actually professionally wrench Guzzis daily and are happy to help, but know it's not our job to assist you when the info has been already posted many times over.

I'll help you a little as a welcome... the voltage regulator lives on the back of the alternator, it's about $30. You do not need to pull the tank side panels to remove the tank.

Best to you on figuring it out, but do listen to what those who post say, including Dave above. Again, search and read... OR ignore me like many others do here. This is my website, and I have 20+ years in exclusively wrenching, racing and building Guzzis, including the custom BUILDs linked above. Enjoy. ;)

Thanks Dave. From your mouth to G-ds, ears ;).
Unfortunately, I think the new battery is an unlikely solution. When the problem hit yesterday, the bike showed the battery was at 11.8V (instead of the usual 13.7-14V when the charging system is working.) I had to drive over 40 miles, watching the voltage drop as it powered the engine... I made it home with only 8.4V left (it was a miracle it ran - ABS and MGTC lights went on when the voltage dropped below 10. Last night I trickle charged the battery, and its hold a charge (back above 12V), so there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the battery system ;(.

Im just looking for illustrations of how to remove the tank... this forum had some conflicting instructions (including having to remove the eagle medallion, which seems weird.)

Thank you for your help!

If it won't hold a higher voltage than that after a 24 charge (trickle or not), the battery has a problem. The charging system may have contributed, but if the battery won't recover, then... IMO of course. Good Luck with it...

Just an idea but have you disconnected the horn to see if problem goes away? You said it started after install, maybe the horn is the issue. Is it connected w/separate relay?

As was mentioned earlier the regulator,rectifier is mounted to the back of the alternator . It's sorta accessible with the
tank removed . At $30 bucks to replace it , it 's probably worth a try . But should it be the alternator , you've got one
significant job ahead of you . The voltage drops you experienced I doubt could be caused by the horns (unless you hard wired
them to the battery without a fuse and they shorted out ) . I don't know anything about the earlier 1400 wiring recall . Peter

I am not sure if things changed but every bike I have put on a stebel on I have to run a relay to it.

As was mentioned earlier the regulator,rectifier is mounted to the back of the alternator . It's sorta accessible with the
tank removed . At $30 bucks to replace it , it 's probably worth a try . But should it be the alternator , you've got one
significant job ahead of you . The voltage drops you experienced I doubt could be caused by the horns (unless you hard wired
them to the battery without a fuse and they shorted out ) . I don't know anything about the earlier 1400 wiring recall . Peter

Thanks. We pulled the rectifier and it seemed faulty (the diode showed current flow in both directions), but this may or may not be an accurate test. I think we sourced a new rectifier (MG says they are not replaceable, but they look like this one (which also works on tractors)-
amfindustrialusa.com/i-30508267-new-voltage-regulator-for-denso-alternators-in255.html

I got lucky and found a used Generator on eBay cheap that is arriving Thursday - I'll swap that rectifier with mine.
Fingers crossed it works - I do not want to have to drop the engine, etc. and the mechanics in my area are no more experienced than I am. I had been driving BMWs for a few decades, never with a problem! This is HD level nonsense (I had a shovel head in the 80s - this MG reminds me of that bike...)

Thank you for all the help

I am not sure if things changed but every bike I have put on a stebel on I have to run a relay to it.

Yes, when I reinstall everything, I will definitely be running a new lead to the horns (and use the relay). A few people on this forum had said it would work plug and play, but that hasn't been my experience.

^^ Ouch , I worked on HD at dealerships then , and I'm not sure this is that bad . But , it is
kinda ironic that Guzzi went for these rather inexpensive chinese alternators !

No joy. I installed a new battery and replaced the rectifier on the generator and it still doesn't work. I didn't install the horn or any accessories. The bike still shows the Hazard Triangle and SERVICE message. It seems weird that it did before I even fired up the bike - how would it know if the rectifier were still defective. I searched the forum for codes to reset the computer (I only saw the one for the wrench coupon.) I'll search the forum again and, more importantly, for any qualified mechanics in the SF Bay Area!

No joy. I installed a new battery and replaced the rectifier on the generator and it still doesn't work. I didn't install the horn or any accessories. The bike still shows the Hazard Triangle and SERVICE message. It seems weird that it did before I even fired up the bike - how would it know if the rectifier were still defective. I searched the forum for codes to reset the computer (I only saw the one for the wrench coupon.) I'll search the forum again and, more importantly, for any qualified mechanics in the SF Bay Area!

The fact that the horn was run without a relay it may have burnt up some wires somewhere along the line. Those horns do draw significantly more amperage than the stock horns.

Hi,
My 2014 California Custom 1400 has an electrical problem, which started when I replaced the horns (with Stebel). Even with 14V showing when the bike was running, the horns would only work occasionally. I thought it might be the battery and had one on order, but yesterday was on the freeway and wanted to test the horn - pressed the button, watched the voltage drop, and once it hit 12.7 the Urgent Service warning light came on (and now the battery is not getting charged.) I checked the fuses, but unfortunately that was not the problem.

I read other threads (and noted the recall), but wonder whether anyone here has replaced the rectifier on their Cal1400? How about the stator? Where is the rectifier located (so I can test it.)

Thanks!
Michael

Just a thought, what mileage has it done, could it possibly be a snapped alternator belt?

Hi. Yesterday we pulled it apart again, and
Just a thought, what mileage has it done, could it possibly be a snapped alternator belt?

Hi,
Interesting thought. When I tested it yesterday we measured the AC power from the generator (stator) - there was none ;(. I did see the shaft turning, so the alternator belt is likely not the culprit.

Today I'm calling shops in California to see if anyone is familiar with the bike. I am supremely bummed. My local dealer (Munroe Motors) had a mechanic (Brian) who was recommended to me, but he apparently quit last month to work for the post office.

Back