• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Brake Lever Contacts Exhaust

JasonC

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
I have a 2010 V7 Cafe with an Agostini exhaust system and V7 Racer rear-sets.

My problem is that the rear brake lever makes contact with the exhaust to the extent that I cannot lockup the rear wheel. It's kind of a poor-boy ABS for the rear wheel, but I don't like it. Has anyone else had a similar problem and if so, how did you correct it?

Jason

20210902 171133

It's only a suggestion, but can you reverse the bolt (by fitting the clamp 180°) so the excess thread sticks out on the outer side? Then perhaps cut a little bit off if necessary so the bolt doesn't interfere with the brake pedal.

It's only a suggestion, but can you reverse the bolt (by fitting the clamp 180°) so the excess thread sticks out on the outer side? Then perhaps cut a little bit off if necessary so the bolt doesn't interfere with the brake pedal.

Thank you for the suggestion. But the brake lever actually doesn't contact the clamp bolt. Instead, it makes contact with the corner of the swage on the muffler. The picture shows the brake lever at maximum travel. I think I'll just grind away some the aluminum where the brake lever contacts the muffler.

Jason

I'm not sure this is a possibility, but would a small adjustment in the brake lever solve the problem?
I've adjusted the brake rod out as far as I dare; it's got about one diameter of thread engagement.

I've filed a bit off the "corner"of the brake lever where it contacts the muffler and the lever now seems to make full engagement without contacting anything. Next I'm going to bleed the rear brake just to make sure I'm not giving up brake lever travel by compressing air.

20210903 101418

Jason

JasonC said:
Next I'm going to bleed the rear brake just to make sure I'm not giving up brake lever travel by compressing air.
This was going to be my next suggestion, You've got far too much movement in your brake lever.

Not sure if this is a solution:
Can a spacer be placed behind the lever itself to bring clear of the muffler? I realise it may entail someone with a lathe doing it but at least it would be a neat job.

Can a spacer be placed behind the lever itself to bring clear of the muffler? I realise it may entail someone with a lathe doing it but at least it would be a neat job.

Great idea!

I'll investigate further but suspect it will be quite a job. The complete brake assembly, not just the lever, will have to move out about an inch.

Jason

I'm not sure this is a possibility, but would a small adjustment in the brake lever solve the problem?

Agree, just make the rod longer and rotate the peg on the lever to teh lowest position. You are nearly at teh lowest for teh peg now so you can gain a little.

That would change the angle to the piston in the master cylinder. Might not be an issue, but then again it might.

I think the Agostini header pipe is not designed for a V7 Cafe with rear-sets installed from a V7 Racer.

Jason

I think the Agostini header pipe is not designed for a V7 Cafe with rear-sets installed from a V7 Racer.

Jason

Do you think? ;)

Although the default position usually presented here would be that Moto Guzzi and Piaggio both suck and are incompetent, and blah blah blah...:rolleyes:

Do you think? ;)

I bought the bike, 2010 V7 Cafe, second-hand and the first owner modified it quite a bit. Following are some of the modifications: 820cc big-bore kit; DynoJet Power Commander; O2 optimizer; oil sump extender; V7 Racer front fender; V7 Racer rear shocks; V7 Racer fuel filler surround; V7 Racer rear sets and Agostini Exhaust system.

I suspect that the Agostini exhaust was purchased based on a 2010 V7 Cafe application, which has no rear-sets. But then came the installation of the V7 Racer Rear-sets, which interfere slightly with the exhaust. I've managed to jigger the muffler around a bit, shave some material from the bottom of the brake lever, and crank the brake cylinder rod adjustment out as much as I dare. I can now chirp the tire with the rear brake!

On another note, I'm surprised by how well the single brake rotor and caliper work up front. Initially I was researching the installation of a twin caliper setup, but after riding the bike for a while I think the single caliper works just fine for my purposes.

On yet another note, I'm impressed by this bike's acceleration; I think it pulls harder than my old '75 Norton Commando, which was no slouch.

What's more, I think this is one of the best looking bikes I've ever owned; see pic. MyGuzziR

Jason

Last edited:
Back