• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New Norge 8V owner here. Concern about flat tappets!

Old.Baldy

Just got it firing!
Hi All

I've been searching but not found the answer yet, to the question I have.....is there a VIN serial number that indicates when they switched to roller tappets from the flats, on the Norge 8v?

I ask because I finally bought a Moto Guzzi after decades of promising myself I'd own one (have owned multiple Ducatis, Triumps, Suzukis etc but never a MG), and come to find out that there is is huge potential issue with the flat tappet versions.

I am still waiting for delivery of the 2012 Norge 8V that I bought while RVinf across the country, and so don;t know if I am in the clear with a roller bearing version or flat tappets. Is it possible to know from the VIN number? The VIN says it is a 2012 manfuacture, but the only other thing that seems to factor in is the serial number, which is in the 111nnn range.

Any ideas?
Also, I have no service history on the bike and so if I need to do the conversion, I guess I'm out of luck with regards dealer history. Has anyone had luck in similar circumstances when trying to get the parts from the manufacturer under goodwill claim?

Thanks all!!!!

Barry.

Hello Barry,

Welcome!

SEARCH function above is your friend. So is reading! Read the whole post below and you will have all your answers.

It’s not a potential problem. It’s very real and it will happen sooner or later.

https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/th...-tappet-failure-but-were-afraid-to-ask.17282/

You will never get a goodwill claim 10 years later as a subsequent owner. Don’t even try.

Did you buy the white bike in Texas?

If so, we just had a conversation about that bike right here in this very forum. In fact, it was the most recent topic before you posted in the very same forum.

https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/looking-at-a-2012-norge-advice-requested.21922/

Last edited:
Hello Barry,

Welcome!

SEARCH function above is your friend. So is reading! Read the whole post below and you will have all your answers.

It’s not a potential problem. It’s very real and it will happen sooner or later.

https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/th...-tappet-failure-but-were-afraid-to-ask.17282/

You will never get a goodwill claim 10 years later as a subsequent owner. Don’t even try.

Did you buy the white bike in Texas?

If so, we just had a conversation about that bike right here in this very forum. In fact, it was the most recent topic before you posted in the very same forum.

https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/looking-at-a-2012-norge-advice-requested.21922/

Thank you for the reply, with the link, Scott!

I will study that carefully, but am starting to ready myself for a kit outlay. Am REALLY happy that they're still available here!
I am very mechanically minded and used to do all my own servicing, lapping valves, setting squish, setting cam timing etc on my Ducati Desmo bikes, so am quite happy to get my hands dirty with the roller kit if that is needed. I just have to hide the cost of the kit from the wife, else she will forever be the "winner" in any discussions about wasting money haha.

No, the bike I bought was a black 2012 sold by Eurotek-OKC in Oklahoma City. I thought I got it for a very good price but now think that they may have known about the issue, but as I paid very little for it, I'm OK with having to do the kit. Just hope the motor is not trashed. It sounded fine, with no weird mechanical noises, but had a bad throttle response right off idel. The techs I spoke with said it rode well but was very cold-blooded until fully warmed up. I can see a number of upgrades in the future, but have yet to ride the thing. I will not ride it until I have checked and fixed any tappet issues.

Thanks again!

O.B.

My 2012 was one of the first built with roller tappets. Build date May 2012. Vin# ZGULPT005CM112216.
I was lucky as I did not know of the issue before I bought it.
I highly recommend Todd's full fueling kit available here by going to the store link at the top of this page. These bikes were tuned very, very lean to meet Euro 4 standards. By altering the fueling the bike is transformed into a totally different machine.

My 2012 was one of the first built with roller tappets. Build date May 2012. Vin# ZGULPT005CM112216.
I was lucky as I did not know of the issue before I bought it.
I highly recommend Todd's full fueling kit available here by going to the store link at the top of this page. These bikes were tuned very, very lean to meet Euro 4 standards. My altering the fueling the bike is transformed into a totally different machine.
I also didn;t know of the issue. Unfortunately, it appears that mine is before the cutover to the factory rollers, according to the TSB info that Scott posted above. Oh well, it's only money....and you can't take it with you, eh! :)

Actually, I'll use it as a fast way to get to know some of the bike, when I install the kit! haha!!!!

So, it looks like ALL of the Norge flat tappet bikes need the "A" kit. Hope I got that right. I guess I'll be ordering a kit as soon as my bike is delivered from OKC to Yuma, and I can 100% confirm that it has the flat tappets.

You'll love your Norge. I know I'll never sell mine no matter what else ends up in my stable.

I think I will too!

The Moto Guzzi Le Mans Mk1 was the very first "big bike" I ever rode, back in the late 70s. I always said I'd own a MG one day, after that ride. I just didn't think I'd have to spend $$$ to get the motor reliable before even riding it - but am used to that kind of thing with the similar Ducati Desmoquattro valve follower issues, so this won't be the first time I've had to deal with something like this!

Howdy, welcome, and congrats.

First, apropos your "I just have to hide the cost of the kit from the wife, else she will forever be the "winner" in any discussions about wasting money." I often think that had I not been more in the DA side of things in my professional life, my experience since with moto-money management demonstrates that I might have done well money-laundering on "the other side." ;)

Second, if you think that the motor "sounded fine, with no weird mechanical noises," are you sure you bought a Moto Guzzi? I had a fellow run over to me at a gas station once when I pulled up to refuel my Griso -- same 8v engine as in your Norge -- screaming "SHUT IT DOWN! SHUT IT DOWN! I'M A MOTORCYCLE MECHANIC; IT'S GOING TO BLOW UP!" :eek:

I told him that's the way it always sounded. He left shaking his head and muttering. :giggle:

Best,

Bill

haha
Howdy, welcome, and congrats.

First, apropos your "I just have to hide the cost of the kit from the wife, else she will forever be the "winner" in any discussions about wasting money." I often think that had I not been more in the DA side of things in my professional life, my experience since with moto-money management demonstrates that I might have done well money-laundering on "the other side." ;)

Second, if you think that the motor "sounded fine, with no weird mechanical noises," are you sure you bought a Moto Guzzi? I had a fellow run over to me at a gas station once when I pulled up to refuel my Griso -- same 8v engine as in your Norge -- screaming "SHUT IT DOWN! SHUT IT DOWN! I'M A MOTORCYCLE MECHANIC; IT'S GOING TO BLOW UP!" :eek:

I told him that's the way it always sounded. He left shaking his head and muttering. :giggle:

Best,

Bill

Haha!!! That's funny! :)

Year and years of Ducati open clutch noise probably makes EVERYTHING ELSE sound sweet and melodious to my injured ears! :)

Back