• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Moto Guzzi 850 T 5 Rotor issue

Runner130

Just got it firing!
Hi guys,
I have 2 alternators damaged by rotor. Is it possible that shaft on which rotor is screwed has some free play?
I try to move it by my hand, and I think I can feel something like 1mm free move.
I ordered a new stator and rotor but afraid that it could happen again. Is it possible to test it somehow?
1668032871619 1668032893713

That would be the crankshaft. For in frame check you would have to pull starter off & measure the ring gear back and forth movement.
New main bearings are available. I'd get the service manual which is just a supplement to the SP/G5 1000cc book.
How many miles on the T5?

The front main can be replaced without removing the engine. It would be a good opportunity to replace the chain and install a bow type chain adjuster.

If you can actually feel 1 mm ,up and down on the crank , you definitely have a problem . The crank
fit in the front support bearing is less than .005" or less than a tenth of what you feel . Hard to tell from
your picture of the rotor about the actual contact . Peter

I thought of for & aft play cause I never seen a front main loose enough to do as he's saying. That would make a deep noise, I would think.
Maybe the tapered end is bent, that I have seen. Had to check mine after the wreck.

If you can actually feel 1 mm ,up and down on the crank , you definitely have a problem . The crank
fit in the front support bearing is less than .005" or less than a tenth of what you feel . Hard to tell from
your picture of the rotor about the actual contact

That would be the crankshaft. For in frame check you would have to pull starter off & measure the ring gear back and forth movement.
New main bearings are available. I'd get the service manual which is just a supplement to the SP/G5 1000cc book.
How many miles on the T5?
Hi Steve,
It is more than 100000km. I was afraid of that news, before one month my red lamp of ignition went on a dash, I opened an alternator cover and saw that alternator and stator had contact, bought a new alternator rode it for few km red light still on opened an alternator cover the new alternator again damaged. Is it possible in any combinations that rotor bit maybe over shaped? I bought a new set rotor and alternator but afraid to place to the bike until I rule out the camshaft free movement....How I think that it has free movement I just move rotor with my hand, maybe I move whole bike and it looks like it has movement...I mean I hope all this just to rule out crankshaft :) What is the right procedure to test this? Bike can start but how to test it?

I thought of for & aft play cause I never seen a front main loose enough to do as he's saying. That would make a deep noise, I would think.
Maybe the tapered end is bent, that I have seen. Had to check mine after the wreck.

You think tapered end is where rotor screws on crankshaft? I am still having trouble getting stator from rotor waiting for that special tool , a screw.

Some more pics and video, appreciate all the help!

Attachments

• VID-20221110-WA0005.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 6
I think this is the link to follow John?
If you read the banners at the top of the pages, external links are prohibited and I have removed the link. I looked at it and it doesn't tell you how to replace the front main. If you get the service manual for the bike that would be best. I'll briefly give the steps for you here but I'll skip alternator removal since you already have it off.

1. Support the bike by blocking the engine at the oil pan.
2. Remove one exhaust header so you can remove the through bolt at the front engine cover.
3. remove through bolt at the front cover.
4. Remove front engine cover.
5. Align timing marks on the cam gear and crank gear.
6. Remove cam gear, crank gear, and oil pump gear together with the timing chain. Remove old timing chain adjuster.
7. Remove front main.

Assemble in reverse order with new gasket, timing chain, and timing chain adjuster.

If you read the banners at the top of the pages, external links are prohibited and I have removed the link. I looked at it and it doesn't tell you how to replace the front main. If you get the service manual for the bike that would be best. I'll briefly give the steps for you here but I'll skip alternator removal since you already have it off.

1. Support the bike by blocking the engine at the oil pan.
2. Remove one exhaust header so you can remove the through bolt at the front engine cover.
3. remove through bolt at the front cover.
4. Remove front engine cover.
5. Align timing marks on the cam gear and crank gear.
6. Remove cam gear, crank gear, and oil pump gear together with the timing chain. Remove old timing chain adjuster.
7. Remove front main.

Assemble in reverse order with new gasket, timing chain, and timing chain adjuster.
Hi John,
Thanks
I tried to look for the front main bearing but on site you can order same part with extension from 0.2 to 0.6mm not sure which one to pick? And what it is about? You maybe know better? 1668097195517

You have to measure the crankshaft to determine if you need an oversized bearing. Usually oversize bearings are used when the crankshaft is turned on a lathe to smooth it out. Dimensions of the crankshaft and bearings should be in the service manual.

Hi Runner, sorry you are having problems with your bike. It sounds like the front main bearing is worn out. It will be very difficult to accurately measure the crankshaft front journal diameter with the crankshaft still in the bike. Too difficult to get in there with a micrometer. With that much wear on the front, it would be prudent to measure all of the crankshaft diameters anyway.

Hi Runner, sorry you are having problems with your bike. It sounds like the front main bearing is worn out. It will be very difficult to accurately measure the crankshaft front journal diameter with the crankshaft still in the bike. Too difficult to get in there with a micrometer. With that much wear on the front, it would be prudent to measure all of the crankshaft diameters
Not sure what to do? Would really avoid to have to open the engine

Not sure what to do? Would really avoid to have to open the engine

The most important thing about motorcycle maintenance and repair, is to be honest with yourself about your true skills and tools.

I’ve been watching this thread and honestly, this clearly appears to me to be outside your abilities.

You have a motorcycle with 100,000+ km on her.

Your crankshaft is seriously worn and you have destroyed 2 rotors/stators. The video you posted, the rotor is jumping all over the place. The crankshaft is shot.

I know you are seriously fighting this but…

Time for a tear down and rebuild. This is the cold, hard, truth.

Last edited:
Back