• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Disabling Traction Control question

Farilpieno57

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
On my new V7 850 Stone I noticed when traction control is disabled, the warning icon flashes quickly and MGCT DISABLED is the default "mode" display. Hitting the mode button will bring up the display mode I'm in and allow me to change modes, but after about 5 seconds it defaults back to showing MGCT DISABLED. The manual doesn't clearly state this is what happens when you turn MGCT off, but it does strongly advise to only disable MGCT in situations like starting off in mud, gravel, or snow.

So is what I'm experiencing normal? And does MGCT affect throttle response in normal riding? If it doesn't affect throttle response in normal riding I'll probably just leave it at 1 just to be able to keep displaying the mode I'm in without it defaulting back to MGCT DISABLED.

ABS and Traction Control do NOTHING to the operation of the motorcycle.

They only engage when the wheel speed sensors both front and aft register differing speeds.

Otherwise they do nothing.

Thanks guys - that's what I thought. But one of the moto journalist reviewers recommended turning it off for maximum throttle response because TC probably wasn't necessary anyway, so I thought perhaps the MGCT system was different than the traction control on my Connie.

As has been said, unless you can put up with the warning when the TC is turned off, it’s simpler to leave it on setting 1 because if you disable it you’ll have to continue to do so each time the ignition is turned off, whereas setting 1 is a hard reset.To be fair the handbook says that position 1 is for normal riding conditions anyway, so it’s probably the more appropriate active setting. On setting 1 mine has never done anything except on a couple of occasions when it has momentarily caused the activation warning light to flash. These were well within my capability of not worrying anyway. Overall, I feel that setting 1 is not intrusive.
I believe that the latest ecu map resolved any issues with the TC upsetting the running (my brother’s V9 was almost unrideable unless TC was disabled) but an UpMap remap certainly sorts it out. (My V7 850 Special does not have the latest OEM map because I remapped it myself, so I have no first-hand experience of the effectiveness of the latest OEM remap but have read that it works better than the earlier ones).

As has been said, unless you can put up with the warning when the TC is turned off, it’s simpler to leave it on setting 1 because if you disable it you’ll have to continue to do so each time the ignition is turned off, whereas setting 1 is a hard reset.To be fair the handbook says that position 1 is for normal riding conditions anyway, so it’s probably the more appropriate active setting. On setting 1 mine has never done anything except on a couple of occasions when it has momentarily caused the activation warning light to flash. These were well within my capability of not worrying anyway. Overall, I feel that setting 1 is not intrusive.
I believe that the latest ecu map resolved any issues with the TC upsetting the running (my brother’s V9 was almost unrideable unless TC was disabled) but an UpMap remap certainly sorts it out. (My V7 850 Special does not have the latest OEM map because I remapped it myself, so I have no first-hand experience of the effectiveness of the latest OEM remap but have read that it works better than the earlier ones).
Thanks, yes leaving in on 1 makes sense anyway since some of my local roads have some pretty sketchy tarmac.

Any "moto journalist" that advocates disabling the safety systems on a modern motorcycle, is a certified idiot.

You cannot brake faster than an ABS computer, nor can you adjust the engine as rapidly and efficiently to restore traction in a loss of traction situation.

I get so sick of these morons who write crap like that.

Your motorcycle has sophisticated engineering which has ben specifically designed and implemented to protect you. Why in the hell would you voluntarily disable that?

Any "moto journalist" that advocates disabling the safety systems on a modern motorcycle, is a certified idiot.

You cannot brake faster than an ABS computer, nor can you adjust the engine as rapidly and efficiently to restore traction in a loss of traction situation.

I get so sick of these morons who write crap like that.

Your motorcycle has sophisticated engineering which has ben specifically designed and implemented to protect you. Why in the hell would you voluntarily disable that?
Very good point. This guy's logic was the bike doesn't have sufficient power to warrant TC, but that does sound like a limited understanding of what TC can do.

Very good point. This guy's logic was the bike doesn't have sufficient power to warrant TC, but that does sound like a limited understanding of what TC can do.

Again, an idiot motojournalist...

I can easily break loose my 39 hp Ural at the drop of a hat, even in 2WD. You don't need 100+ hp in order to benefit from these safety systems. That is a complete fallacy.

FWIW - ABS is REQUIRED in Europe (EU countries). on all motorcycles at or over 125cc. The TSC is just another enhancement of the ABS system, and designed to provide you with additional safety.

op.europa.eu/en/publication-detail/-/publication/c8718514-cc89-11ea-adf7-01aa75ed71a1

"Examination of the mandatory fitting of an anti-lock brake system and a supplemental combined brake system at the choice of the manufacturer to L3e-A1 subcategory motorcycles"

"Under Regulation (EU) No 168/2013, motorcycles in the L3e-A1 subcategory must be fitted with an advanced braking system consisting of either an anti-lock braking system (ABS) or a combined braking system (CBS) or both at the discretion of the manufacturer. Article 79 of Regulation (EU) No. 168/2013 requires the European Commission to produce a report to the European Parliament and Council that notably examines the potential of making the fitment of ABS mandatory for motorcycles in subcategory L3e-A1. Motorcycle casualty data from the EU was extrapolated for the period 2022 – 2032 and indicates that over that ten-year period there are likely to be over a million collisions involving L3e-A1 motorcycles, resulting in 6,467 fatalities, 212,080 serious injuries and 838,162 slight injuries. Cases from the Road Accident In Depth Study (RAIDS) database were used to estimate the proportion of collisions that could be avoided or mitigated by the fitment of ABS to motorcycles in L3e-A1. 87 collisions involving motorcycles in L3e-A1 were reviewed of which 22 were found to have been caused completely or partially by the locking of one or both wheels. Of those, 10 were caused by the motorcycle losing control under braking or while negotiating a bend in the road. In seven cases, either the front or both wheels locked. In another four the rear wheel locked, and in the remaining 11 cases it was known that wheel locking had occurred, but it was unknown whether the front, rear or both was involved. These data were extrapolated to generate predictions for the likely consequences of mandating ABS for all new motorcycles in L3e-A1 for a ten-year period beginning in 2022. A cost benefit analysis was conducted to ascertain whether the mandating of ABS for motorcycles in L3e-A1 would be economically beneficial for the European Union. A range of scenarios were tested based on historical market data, current information about the rate of voluntary fitment of ABS, and effectiveness estimates based on the RAIDS data analysed as part of this study. In the main run of this model, which used only the RAIDS collisions in which the front or both wheels were known to have locked, the cost benefit analysis showed a benefit to cost ratio of 22.79, with a predicted saving of 1.4 billion Euros by 2032 and a predicted cost of 60.7 million Euros. A sensitivity analysis was conducted as part of the cost benefit study which showed a range of benefit to cost ratios between 18.23 and 77.12 depending on the levels of effectiveness and system cost chosen. Given the relatively low cost of mandating the fitment of ABS to all motorcycles in L3e-A1 from 2022 on, and the high cost associated with even slight injuries resulting from motorcycle collisions, a neutral benefit-cost ratio would result from the prevention of only around 1,500 slight injury collisions, less than 0.15% of the total collisions for the ten years between 2022 and 2032."

The only time I've triggered the TC on my V9 was pulling hard up a bumpy 1:4 hill.
I took the warning, rolled off the throttle a tad and normal service was resumed
It does intrigue me when people turn off the safety aids. If that's a big issue just buy a bike from the 1980s and be done with them all.
Secondly I like it that the rules Scott cited allow combined braking, which my 1995 Cali had way back when!

They have it cause they can AND everyone else has it & more. Not needed on anything under 100hp

I understand your position.

I just know that it is an excellent safety feature, designed into the motorcycle, and that your position is in opposition to not only the empirical evidence, but the conclusions of the entire EU and established law.

It is a fact though that I can break traction on anything from a 125 dirt bike to a 200+ hp Ducati. I do not need 100hp.

Therefore I know that the TSC is capable of engaging as designed. I think this is good.

We agree to disagree. 👌👍

Last edited:
As for TC, I've mentioned it here numerous times; On the V7/V9 it's borderline infuriating, and almost put me over the bars once. I turn it off immediately on every one I ride. About the only thing it is good for, IMO, is to let you know if your tire pressures are low. The ABS on the other hand is top notch. I never felt the need to disable it, even on paved or dirt/gravel roads.

The V85TT is probably a little different, but I have never had TC get in the way of riding on pavement (as long as the tire size calibration procedure had been run somewhat recently), but I must disable it on washboard gravel/dirt roads because it cuts power completely. It is also useful to disable ABS under certain off road riding conditions.

Back