• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Cal 1100 Hydraulic Lifter Recall Info

GTM®

Administrator
Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
Thought this was posted here, and has come up again:

Recalls involved the California models: Stone, Titanium, EV, and EV Touring.

California Titanium (USA): <ZGUKDD0074M133659
California EV Touring (USA): <ZGUKDD0024M112346
California Stone (USA): <ZGUKDD0164M111418

California Titanium: <ZGUKDC1203M133654
California EV and EV Touring: <ZGUKDC1203M112261
California Stone: <ZGUKDC4203M111687

Two different part #'s needed: One is the parts, and one is the special tools.

Pics below outline the visual differences.

Pre-recall visual:

StockHydraCam

Post recall visual (threaded adjusters with paint marks):

NewHydraCam

Thought this was posted here, and has come up again:

Recalls involved the California models: Stone, Titanium, EV, and EV Touring.

California Titanium (USA): <ZGUKDD0074M133659
California EV Touring (USA): <ZGUKDD0024M112346
California Stone (USA): <ZGUKDD0164M111418

California Titanium: <ZGUKDC1203M133654
California EV and EV Touring: <ZGUKDC1203M112261
California Stone: <ZGUKDC4203M111687

Two different part #'s needed: One is the parts, and one is the special tools.

Pics below outline the visual differences:
Could you explain to me why the Aluminium model isn't listed here? Is it a subset of Titanium?

I ask because I recently bought a super-nice 2003 Aluminium, with only 2869 untouched and unmolested miles. First owner only ran it 234 miles, and the second owner (his brother-in-law) sold it to me after owning it 10 years and not even riding it in the rain. Second owner told me that he took it to the local dealer when he received the recall notice, roughly in 2005. However, upon looking at the rockers, I can see that the recall was never done. The bike runs beautifully (after several tanks of fresh gas), but I know it's probably a time bomb. Piaggio tells me that there are "no recalls" for this bike, but that only means that they paid the dealer to do it and thus closed it out.

There's no exemption for the Aluminium, is there?

cookiemech,

I had a 2003 EV, but never got the recall installed. I ran mobile1 15W50 instead of the 10W40 the factory recommended. Never had any issue. I ran the bike over 40K miles when I sold it. The second owner had the recall performed. I talked with the mechanic after and he stated there was no evidence of wear or impending failure. The kits and tools to do the mod are available if you wish to perform the mod yourself. A friend of mine was able to get what he needed from MPH in Houston.

cookiemech,

I had a 2003 EV, but never got the recall installed. I ran mobile1 15W50 instead of the 10W40 the factory recommended. Never had any issue. I ran the bike over 40K miles when I sold it. The second owner had the recall performed. I talked with the mechanic after and he stated there was no evidence of wear or impending failure. The kits and tools to do the mod are available if you wish to perform the mod yourself. A friend of mine was able to get what he needed from MPH in Houston.
Your words are quite encouraging . . . I do have some inclination to do nothing other than to give this bike the sort of meticulous care that I give all my others (seven of them). As soon as I bought the bike, I changed all of its fluids (other than fork oil, which I'll do this winter). It looked to me as though no one had ever changed the original oil filter (fine with me, in this case). There were no slivers or pieces of metal in the pan, and none of the magnetic drain plugs had anything but the usual gray slime on them.

Sometimes it's better to "first do no harm". I'm running the 5W-40 Shell Rotella T6 synthetic oil, though I do run the Mobil 1 15W-50 in all of my other bikes (two Harleys, three older BMWs, new Ducati Monster 1200, and a KLR 650).

This is really just a "fair weather" bike for me, and I doubt I'd run it more than a couple of thousand miles a year. Maybe I'm OK as is, so long as I watch it?

I meant to convey that all isn't gloom and doom over this recall. If you have a good dealer nearby, and you still have the unmodified rockers, they may be able to prove to Guzzi that the recall wasn't performed and get it done. It is worth a try.

I meant to convey that all isn't gloom and doom over this recall. If you have a good dealer nearby, and you still have the unmodified rockers, they may be able to prove to Guzzi that the recall wasn't performed and get it done. It is worth a try.
Here's the problem: The local dealer is the one who "performed" the recall work. When I visited him recently (he's a long-time Guzzi dealer), he specifically denied having ever seen this bike before (and that was without me ever mentioning the recall, or the previous owner having said that he brought he bike there for recall work). I wouldn't let him touch my bike, ever. His reputation among other motorcycle dealers in the area is not good.

I've sent photos of my rockers to Piaggio Group and am hoping that my conversations with them will bear fruit. If not, I'll likely try to buy the kits myself and at least keep them on the shelf. I'm a competent mechanic and can do the work if necessary.

If you decide to do the work yourself, do it before any failure indications. There is a set of special tools to be able to do the modification without removing the cylinders. Those may help you as well. A guy local to me did it for his bike and if you want I can see if he will contact you.

If you decide to do the work yourself, do it before any failure indications. There is a set of special tools to be able to do the modification without removing the cylinders. Those may help you as well. A guy local to me did it for his bike and if you want I can see if he will contact you.

I do have the tool set if you need it. The job (if you can get the kit) is pretty easy and you could finish it in a weekend. Don't drink beer and you could do it in a day. I do recommend running the heavier oil as it seems to quiet the engine noise on a hot day.

Also, if you get an outsider sump spacer, you can loctite your pan and cover bolts and turn it into turnkey bike. My Titanium is one of the most reliable and easiest to service bikes I've ever owned

This is a very generous offer (loan of the tools) and I will take you up on it if I can find the kit at a reasonable price (and assuming that Piaggio will do nothing for me).

Thank you!

Piaggio USA has been more than nice to me! They will cover the recall, assuming that I take to a Moto Guzzi dealer. I have asked them if I can do it myself, and it seems unlikely (they are going to call me back).

Assuming that I have to take it somewhere (though that goes against my grain), can anyone wholeheartedly recommend someone? I live about 25 miles southeast of Pittsburgh, PA. I'd rather not have an overnight trip, but if necessary . . . I have a nice trailer and all that.

Who is your local dealer that you don't like?
There is a dealer on the south side of Harrisburg, Pa. that I have had do some work for me. They seem straight up, they are a vintage Porsche resto shop that also does a variety of other cars. Guzzi are the only motorcycle brand they do. They have switched mechanics since I had my work done there, so I have no direct experience with their current mechanic. But given the nature of the shop I would hope he is pretty good.

The local dealer is Westmoreland Moto Guzzi. I have strong reason to believe that this is the dealer that originally "did" the recall, based on what the previous owner told me (and Moto Guzzi confirms that a recall was "done", though of course won't identify the dealer).

Is anyone familiar with the dealer that's just north of Winchester, Virginia?

I have been using All Seasons in Wooster Ohio. When I had my Norge I wasn't impressed but I went there with the Cali 1400 Tour and they have switched service managers, the last one did not like Guzzi and told me so. They also have a new wrench who likes and rides Guzzi.
From Westmoreland it appears to be about 3 hours. It's a shame Speaker's isn't around. Closer to you and decent work. Shop always looked a disaster though.

I have been using All Seasons in Wooster Ohio. When I had my Norge I wasn't impressed but I went there with the Cali 1400 Tour and they have switched service managers, the last one did not like Guzzi and told me so. They also have a new wrench who likes and rides Guzzi.
From Westmoreland it appears to be about 3 hours. It's a shame Speaker's isn't around. Closer to you and decent work. Shop always looked a disaster though.
Thank you! I've been in and through Wooster many times, since I take the back roads (rather than the Turnpike) when I go to my father-in-law's in southern Michigan. I will seriously consider them to do the job. You're right, about three hours (I live close to I-70, so I-70 to Wheeling Island and up US 250).

Oh crap. I know for fact that my 2004 Stone has the valve arrangement in the first picture and VIN is way lower than the stated one for the USA model. Guess I'll have to call my favorite dealer and mere 200 miles away.

There's a happy ending to my story . . . after considerable research, I decided that Europa Macchina (the dealer near Harrisburg, PA) was the best one to do the job. Lori, the owner, really worked to have Piaggio pay for the update (apparently, the person with whom I originally spoke at Piaggio wasn't really authorized to tell me they'd pay). I trailered the bike out there in late October and picked it up early in February. The tech with whom I spoke said that mine was close to failure, as the camshaft hardfacing was just about worn through. I was thoroughly impressed with the way I was treated there and with the way the bike looks (I can't tell that anyone touched it, other than the edges of new gaskets). Can't wait until the salt and filth is off the local roads so I can try it out. The tech said that mine runs very well; he also replaced exhaust gaskets and reset the TPS.

I bought a Cali Stone 2003 with 23,000 miles, last year, which is a good runner. Since buying it I have been gradually learning about it, and since seeing this thread I took off one of the rocker covers to see if it had before or after rockers. As it quite clearly had the before, I went to the only dealer in Scotland to check if it was due a recall. I was told that it wasn't, although according to the info above and the VIN No. ZGUKDC4203M111324, it would appear it should be. So, I contacted Piaggio, who said it wasn't due a recall. I then sent my info and have heard nothing since.
I realise that prevention of catastrophic failure is more cost effective than a cure after the event, so can anyone help or point me in the right direction so that Piaggio respond in a positive way.
Thanks in advance.

Davy

Davy,
Beside the letter, did you provide photographs of the rocker assembly? According to their records, a dealer may have stated the modification was performed, but photographs will prove that it wasn't.

Thanks for the very quick reply, John.
I asked Piaggio through their recall enquiries on their website, to which they responded saying no.
I tried again showing the info above, telling them that I'd taken a rocker cover off which revealed the same as the before picture.
The impression I'm getting is that, they're big and I'm little, they're right and I'm wrong, and if they don't respond is it worth sending more info and pestering them into submission.

Thanks for the very quick reply, John.
I asked Piaggio through their recall enquiries on their website, to which they responded saying no.
I tried again showing the info above, telling them that I'd taken a rocker cover off which revealed the same as the before picture.
The impression I'm getting is that, they're big and I'm little, they're right and I'm wrong, and if they don't respond is it worth sending more info and pestering them into submission.
Give it a couple more tries. If all else fails an attorney letter may get you some action. Good luck.

Back