• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Early Norge oil pump FAILURE

GTM®

Administrator
Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
This thread documents early Norge 1200-2V oil pump failures. See pic below.

The build date is on the plate just under the front of the tank, looked at from above when you pull the tank up & back a bit. Almost all red Norges built 10-11/06, with VIN #s ending between 112208 and 112309 have been problematic... However, not every bike between those numbers have been bad. Edit: Some earlier production dates have had issues as well... read on below.

1E38DD6A 2784 45A5 8CE2 C1032A9A48CD

Yes, the VIN number please to establish the build date, as all known failures except one have a build date of 10-11/06-which is the early 07 model year.

I have had my Norge for a couple of years now and did have the oil pressure sensor problem initially replaced under warranty; however the warning triangle did continue to come on now and then. However late last year, just before the snow hit Scotland, the oil can came on a couple of times; very briefly before going out without revving the engine. Following the stories of pump failure on the forum I went and had the pump checked and sure enough the outer rotor was in four pieces.

Bike has done just under 12,000 miles. First registered in May '07. Not sure when it was built but the VIN finishes 0196M111418. 3 of the breaks are where I might expect them to occur at the change in cross section between lobe and connecting piece. The change is quite sharp and will act as a stress raiser. 1 break though was across the middle of a joining piece. Breaks haven't worn much and appear tensile and ductile in nature but I hope to have someone more knowledgeable than me to look over the failure. The failed pump has punch marks on the outside of the lobes on both rotors. I wasn't sure what these could be for other than marking which way the rotors went into the pump?

I have tried to attach a couple of photos as well but not sure if done properly. If not I will need some advice on how to do so.

Not back on the road yet although the replacement pump arrived fairly quickly. MG/Piaggio not interested in helping; and now out of warranty. But I would like to know that the new pump wont fail in the same way.

Greg

GT N12 FailedOilPump2 GT N12 FailedOilPump1

Last edited by a moderator:
Could the problem lie in the relief valve not opening on startup, sticking shut then pressure buildup splitting the rotor?

ghj_sco said:
First registered in May '07. Not sure when it was built but the VIN finishes 0196M111418. helping; and now out of warranty. But I would like to know that the new pump wont fail in the same way.

Greg

The build date is on the plate just under the front of the tank, looked at from above when you pull the tank up & back a bit. Please take a look & report back. This number is much earlier than the vast bulk of the known failures that were almost all built 10-11/06, with Vin #s ending between 112208 and 112309-meaning they all but one fall between those numbers, not that all those numbers are bad. So this would have to be very early '06 build or even '05. Anybody have a current workable link to the VIN registry here that lists all the CARC bikes registered here, my link doesn't work anymore since the last very recent move of the board. Yours showed the common symptoms, meaning repeated triangle, then the oil can. Glad you dug in there before disaster struck.

Bike is still in Dealers at present but I will check the plate as soon as I can.

Greg

ghj_sco said:
But I would like to know that the new pump wont fail in the same way.

Greg

Never seen any report of a repeat failure on a replaced failed oil pump-consistent with theory that all failures go back to a bad batch installed almost exclusively late '06.

I take it that means that Guzzi didn't step up to cover at least the pump?

Bill Hagan said:
I have been told that a friend whose pump failed is about to file suit in small-claims court. We shall see how that plays out. ;)

Bill
There should be a valid claim under UK law, but only if you have had it from new. It's unlikely to help anyone who bought a pre-owned model.
Of course the claim is against the dealer who sold it, not Guzzi, which doesn't seem fair really.

I have an 07 Norge, first one sold in the US. MPH sold and also replaced the failure prone Polish bearing that the first run Norges came with. I have 31,300 miles on her, and run Agig 10W60 oil exclusivly, with a UFI filter. Oil changed every 6,200 miles, along with all the other fluids. Recently, and intermittently, when I start her the triangle of death will light for about 1 second, then go out. The oil level is halfway up the stick, which seems to be her happy place. Does this sound like an immenent albeit slowly failing oil pump?

Last edited:
Very interesting reads on the oil pump issue.Just completed a ride from Winfield,Ks.around the National parks in Utah.Approx 2500 miles.On return side of trip,descending the Continental divide,triangle warning icon and soon to follow Oil Can icon appear.No where to immediately pullover and investigate,so it's off to the exit ramp.Upon stopping check oil level,good,look for any wire amiss that I can see or feel with engine hot.No obvious defect noted.No engine soon to seize death rattle.My thoughts turn to oil pressure sensor gone T.U.Call the dealership service manager and he also thinks about sending unit.Decide you only live once and I'm not field stripping this thing in the freezing Rocky mountain rain,so I blast off for Kansas at normal cruise speed of 75-85 mph thinking I will set this thing on fire in the ditch if I survive the catrostrophic engine failure and I'm not runover by local traffic when the seizure occurs.End story I made it to home base with no engine failure and immediately ordered oil pressure sensor.Original oil pressure sensor passes the intial self test function when key is turned to on.Warning icons show up 15 miles down the road at full operating temperature.You all have me thinking I best inspect the oil pump along with replacing the sending unit.The unit is 2012 Norge 8vGT, S/N ZGULPT000CM111913.This bike is a known pain in my ass since delivery with a long list of warranty issues.I am a slow learner and refuse to accept that any machine regardless of what it is cannot be made to function as designed.I appreciate your posts as you have reinforced me taking the next more in depth step of investigating the root cause of this issue.

You seem to have the symtoms P.odono lets hope all is well with the pump or there will be a whole heap of unhappy/worried people here

There has been no reported issues with the 8V oil pumps... so I'd say more likely a failed sensor (which seems to be more common on even the 2V-ers). Do keep us posted.

Looking at all the failed pumps the all look cracked/broken apart. Did Luigi decide to make a pizza in the heat treating oven instead of turning it up and heat treating oil pumps? :)

Back