• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

agip 10w60

duc

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Famiglia
Not wanting to start the ugly oil thread,just a simple question.
Does anyone know or have in writing the actual zinc phos content of agip 4t 10w60 or Iride as it is called now?

There is MSDS data sheet available here in an Excel file:

MSDS - RACING SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL, SAE 10W-60.xls

CHEMICAL INGREDIENT COMPOSITION %(w/w)

1-Decene, Homopolymer, Hydrogenated & Polymer of Octene, 51.5
Decene, and Dodecene, Hydrogenated
1-Decene, Tetramer and Trimer, Hydrogenated 17.3
C8, C12 Olefin Polymer, Hydrogenated 0
Zinc Alkyldithiophosphate (as ZnDDP) 2.6
(as Zn) 0.12
Other Misc. Additives Components: includes VI Polymers 28.6
(Ethylene/Propylene Copolymer), Polyisobutenyl Succinic (0.05 as Mg)
Anhydride Based Disperant Mg-Alkylaryl Detergent, Ca-Long- (0.206 as Ca)
Chain Alkylaryl Sulphonate (Detergent), and Mineral Oil.

Steve,thanks for the info had seen this on agips web sight but
maybe i am a little dense.Can't equate this to the usual standard
of parts per million so cannot compare to other oils like mobil 1,or redline.
Thanks much
Mell/duc

Well, the amounts are listed as percentages, so if you can figure the millions of parts per litre, then you will have your answer. :ugeek:

Thanks Steve I think maybe the decimal point may be in the wrong place but looks like zddp total 2600ppm zinc alone possibly 1200 ppm.
Thanks Mell/Duc

For those interested I had a virgin sample agip 10w60 tested at polaris labs in Duluth Ga.Zinc1234ppm not too bad Phos a little low at 1004ppm.Had 4ppm of alum.Not sure this is a good thing.
Will try to post complete report soon.
Mell/Duc

Hey guys, I been looking into this subject because Agip is hard to get here, and I know a lot of modern oils have been reducing levels of zddp and phosphorus because of catalytic converters.
I read somewhere that Agip is around 1200ppm, and the absolute reccommended minimum level for good protection is 1000ppm.
There's an american website I've looked at 'bob is the oil guy' that has a lot of information on this.

Well since already discussing oil, I live in the Rust Belt/Great lakes region so my bike hibernates 6-7 months out of the year.
So bike only runs at 50f degrees and higher weather wise. Would using 20w-60 oil be acceptable?

it is not a 100% pao based group 4 oil, it is a highly refined group3 which is allowed to be advertised as synth in the USA only. it does perform better than standard cracked dinos, but it does not have the heat tolerance of true group 4. (mobil made this chage quietly a few years back) only the 8v motors really need the group 4 oils but they do need them, they run generally cool but have some nasty hot spots. (very very hot at the exhaust valves, and the plug temps are sky high with factory fueling) I have been watching head temps a while on 3 8v motors before the stelvio crapped the clutch, but still watching the griso and sport. Not saying agip is best I do not use it all the time, but the mobil 20w-50 is subpar for the 8v. there are plenty that meet all specs. that are group4

it is not a 100% pao based group 4 oil, it is a highly refined group3 which is allowed to be advertised as synth in the USA only. it does perform better than standard cracked dinos, but it does not have the heat tolerance of true group 4. (mobil made this chage quietly a few years back) only the 8v motors really need the group 4 oils but they do need them, they run generally cool but have some nasty hot spots. (very very hot at the exhaust valves, and the plug temps are sky high with factory fueling) I have been watching head temps a while on 3 8v motors before the stelvio crapped the clutch, but still watching the griso and sport. Not saying agip is best I do not use it all the time, but the mobil 20w-50 is subpar for the 8v. there are plenty that meet all specs. that are group4

Very interesting that they can call it fully synthetic in the US, but not elsewhere. Good information to have.

I believe Castrol was the one who sued to call their Syntec oil a synthetic though it also is from Dino. Not positive on this but I remember reading something about it. I also live in the rust belt, NE Ohio, and am debating going to the Amsoil 20-50 I ran in the Norge with no problem or staying with the 10-60.

I believe Castrol was the one who sued to call their Syntec oil a synthetic though it also is from Dino. Not positive on this but I remember reading something about it. I also live in the rust belt, NE Ohio, and am debating going to the Amsoil 20-50 I ran in the Norge with no problem or staying with the 10-60.

I believe it was actually Mobile who sued Castrol.
Castrol introduced a Group III oil that was refined through a hydrogen catalyst.
So Castrol called, labeled, marketed this oil as Synthetic.
Since Group III oils come from crude petroleum and are not made in a lab; Mobile sued Castrol.
The Federal Trade Commission sided with Castrol. So in the USA; many Group III oils are now being labeled as synthetic.

Back