• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Griso, observations so far

sidrat

Just got it firing!
New to me Griso with 2300 miles on the clock. Its just had an engine rebuild to fix the heads and also needed a new crank and crankcase, i have now done 600 miles over the weekend, from running it in to giving it some grief.

I love the bike, and boy does it fly! this is what i have found

1/ The fuel injection surges at slower constant speeds.
2/ Very hard mainly rear suspension, this is the biggest problem it kicks me out of the seat. handles well on smooth roads, can get to the edge of the tyres without a problem
3/ Its a bit slow steering, but i can live with that as the bars are wide enough to muscle it around and i would like to keep the ground clearance,
4/ nice amount of adjustability to fit me well now, stuck on a second hand screen to help wind resistance.
5/ The fuel consumption doesn't change at all. I ran it in and get 42 mpg (UK gallon), sat at a steady 75-80 mph for 2 hours and got 41 mpg, gave it some grief chasing friends on a fireblade and aprilia rsv and still got 42mpg. I think the fuelling has been setup for higher revs (and it loves them!) so keeping it out of the power band (on a guzzi!!) below 5500 rpm means its not running well see 1 above, need to investigate.
6/ The average fuel read out on the instrument panel is very pessimistic anywhere from 5 to 8 mpg behind what it actually gets.
7/ what a great bike :), need to sort the rear suspension though then it would be incredible

Glad you are enjoying the bike. I am in the same position of getting used to mine. I totally agree about the rear suspension, mine seems to not enjoy the road with any type of bumps and has been throwing me around a bit. I am looking around at settings at the moment to try and change things and also considering taking the bike somewhere to get it set up for me.

Like you, I have been surprised at how well it handles and the speed, it does like to be pushed on a bit!

The FI surging is inherent. You can improve it by keeping TPS spot on and cables correctly adjusted so there is minimal slack. But best solution is probably a ECU reflash & other goodies available here: https://www.guzzitech.com/store/category/fueling/

Stock suspension set up is notoriously dreadful but it can be improved and of course your bike might have been set up for the weight of previous rider. The steering / turn in is better with the forks raised thru' the yokes. I'd suggest 3 rings showing above yokes as a starting point.

MPG should improve with mileage. Yours with 2300 on the clock is like new (ie not run in). You should begin to see an improvement is MPG with more miles. Mine continued to get better & finally seemed reach a plateau & bed down at about 10,000 miles.

Glad you are enjoying the bike. I am in the same position of getting used to mine. I totally agree about the rear suspension, mine seems to not enjoy the road with any type of bumps and has been throwing me around a bit. I am looking around at settings at the moment to try and change things and also considering taking the bike somewhere to get it set up for me.

Like you, I have been surprised at how well it handles and the speed, it does like to be pushed on a bit!

I was in oxford at the weekend when i was pushing it on a bit, but i will sort out the rear suspension and post what i find. I need a way to remove the suspension and play with the shock. I see there is a schrader valve under the seat that i have no idea what its use is??

The FI surging is inherent. You can improve it by keeping TPS spot on and cables correctly adjusted so there is minimal slack. But best solution is probably a ECU reflash & other goodies available here: https://www.guzzitech.com/store/category/fueling/

Stock suspension set up is notoriously dreadful but it can be improved and of course your bike might have been set up for the weight of previous rider. The steering / turn in is better with the forks raised thru' the yokes. I'd suggest 3 rings showing above yokes as a starting point.

MPG should improve with mileage. Yours with 2300 on the clock is like new (ie not run in). You should begin to see an improvement is MPG with more miles. Mine continued to get better & finally seemed reach a plateau & bed down at about 10,000 miles.

I can probably live with the surging, i have read on this site about reflashes and as you say other goodies, but it is low on the list. Nice to know the MPG improves with age, i was just surprised it did the same MPG however i rode it. The suspension had been played with and was setup harder than stock!, so i have gone back to stock settings and will go from there. I already have 3 rings showing above the yokes and wouldn't want to lose the ground clearance in return for quicker steering, so will keep that part as it is for now, thanks for the advice!

My best economy on 1200 sport 2v. is at about 120Klm/h. and is always better in hotter conditions (20 - 25 C) I thought economy would be better in colder condition as the engine would be getting cooler air ??? Can anyone explain this ?

I was in oxford at the weekend when i was pushing it on a bit, but i will sort out the rear suspension and post what i find. I need a way to remove the suspension and play with the shock. I see there is a schrader valve under the seat that i have no idea what its use is??

If that is attached to a long braided line, it should be the clutch slave cylinder bleeder.

For suspension set-up see thread started here by "double-d", but in reality the best bet is don't waste time and money with the standard gear. Buy a Matris R or equivalent.

My best economy on 1200 sport 2v. is at about 120Klm/h. and is always better in hotter conditions (20 - 25 C) I thought economy would be better in colder condition as the engine would be getting cooler air ??? Can anyone explain this ?

I think there are lots of thermal efficiency issues other than the larger volume of oxygen from the cooler weather, engines generally run at a specific temperature and fuel needs to be warm to atomise etc etc. There are people on here with greater knowledge than i :)

If that is attached to a long braided line, it should be the clutch slave cylinder bleeder.

For suspension set-up see thread started here by "double-d", but in reality the best bet is don't waste time and money with the standard gear. Buy a Matris R or equivalent.

Ah, that explains the schrader valve, thanks! it seems a shame you have to replace the suspension on a new bike these days to get it to work properly, i will persevere until i can afford something better, many thanks

It seems a shame you have to replace the suspension on a new bike these days to get it to work properly, i will persevere until i can afford something better, many thanks
This comes up often... OEM's have to target a very specific weight range and type of riding they think their average buyer will use the bike for. As such, they're hardly ever close on either. The Griso is set up for mostly ultra-smooth roads/track, and a basic weight range of 155-170 lbs/70-77 kgs. - and on top of that, they have to meet very low price-points and high durability, not performance. Probably the best money you can spend on your machine, is to have the suspension built for your weight and riding style.
The more miles you get under you, the less you can tolerate stock suspension parts if you really enjoy want to the machine, as opposed to commuting duties or the like.
Happy to chat further via direct email if you'd like; Todd at GuzziTech.com

This comes up often... OEM's have to target a very specific weight range and type of riding they think their average buyer will use the bike for. As such, they're hardly ever close on either. The Griso is set up for mostly ultra-smooth roads/track, and a basic weight range of 155-170 lbs/70-77 kgs. - and on top of that, they have to meet very low price-points and high durability, not performance. Probably the best money you can spend on your machine, is to have the suspension built for your weight and riding style.. It does
The more miles you get under you, the less you can tolerate stock suspension parts if you really enjoy want to the machine, as opposed to commuting duties or the like.
Happy to chat further via direct email if you'd like; Todd at GuzziTech.com

Hi Todd, i agree with you, i will persevere with what i have for the rest of this season and look next year. It feels as though the rising rate is too steep but i dont have the facilities to test, will keep in touch, cheers for your help

Thank you from me too. I have found that my bike has a PCV fitted so that is good and the fueling I am happy with albeit I do not know what map it is set to.

Regarding the rear suspension unit - the cost of a replacement seems to be out of reach at the moment. The Stelvio unit is longer is that another option?

Thank you from me too. I have found that my bike has a PCV fitted so that is good and the fueling I am happy with albeit I do not know what map it is set to.

Regarding the rear suspension unit - the cost of a replacement seems to be out of reach at the moment. The Stelvio unit is longer is that another option?

That would be a good call, more ground clearance and faster steering :)

An alternative also I have found in research is to fit the Ohlins 01092 800 lb spring to the the existing shock. I was going to take my bike to MHracing in Wiltshire anyway to get the suspension looked at. The spring on its own is not too pricey and seems like a good way forward? I am going to contact them for some advice.

OK, let me know how you get on. I was looking at reducing the pre-load first of all but without introducing too much sag. It does feel however that the rising rate increases too much on larger bumps. I am 13st 7lb to give you an idea.

Cheers, Keith

OK Keith, will do.

I am a stone heavier than you at 14.7 and also want to allow for some pillion travel. My other half is just under 9st. Like you, i have started making some minor adjustments but its all gravy to me. I am not at all factual, just know what does not feel right. This is heightened by coming off a Versys as my last bike, which had mahoosive travel in the rear shock and was a lot lighter.

I will let you know my findings.

Cheers,

Ian.

From experience, having played with the standard shock, then upgrading (?) to a Griso shock on the Bellagio. Then re-springing & re-valving the Griso shock was all a waste of time and money. Main problem, is the internal valving design cannot be made to work successfully. Stelvio wont be any different. What you feel as a rising rate problem is just compression damping suffering from hydraulic lock.

Find the happy ground (if that is possible) with the stock spring & adjusters, while saving up as fast as you can and buy a top quality unit.

My weight is 80kg, I'm satisfied with these sttings as found on this forum:

Front
Lowered by 10mm = 4 rings from top, was 2 rings
compression: 1/4 T (stock: 1 T)
rebound: 2 1/4 T (stock: 1.5 T)
preload: 5th mark (stock: 4th)

Rear
compression: 1/4 T (stock: 1.5 T)
rebound: 40 clicks (stock: 17)

Give it a try...

Back