• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Error ECU00: Caused by new oil ? Washing bike ?

ett

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
My 2010 Griso 8V has begun intermittently displaying the exclamation mark inside of red triangle along with SERVICE in bold letters on dash display.

It began immediately after partially switching from Motul 7100 10w60 to Redline 10w60.
ie. That particular oil change had a 50/50 mix of Motul and Redline.
I decided to switch to Redline because:

A) Motul reduced the ZDDP content in their oil.
B) Redline's 10w60 oil has a higher ZDDP content and viscosity index.
(At least according to a UOA of virgin samples of each.)
C) Since the Griso has a dry clutch and separate transmission/gearbox. In theory; it should not be harmed; and may actually benefit; by using an Energy Conserving motor oil.
D) The warranty period for the Griso has ended. So I feel safe using Redline's 10w60. Which although not labeled as SG; it does meet the SG standard.

But that SERVICE error only occurred briefly a few times during the first mile of my commute the morning after the oil change the night before.

That is until this past weekend. I gave the Griso a good washing that included using engine degreaser to remove a lot of road grime that had built up on the bike.
Such on on the motor, the CARC, the bottom of the air box, etc ..
On the very next ride and every ride since. (Although it has been less 300 miles.) That SERVICE has been occurring regularly; but not continuously.
It appears to coincide with stop-n-go traffic or when coming to a stop after riding on interstate.

This morning I managed to catch the error code. It's ECU00. Which the service manual describes as "Not recognized Error".
What the hell does that mean ?!

Between the the above mentioned 50/50 oil change and a few days before the above mentioned washing.
I had done another oil change that was completely Redline 10w60.
Here's the time line between them:

74,712 - 7/13/2014 - first Redline oil use - 50/50 mix of Motul and Redline.
- first SERVICE error occurrence was very next morning. But had not occurred again until 8/29/2014.
77,148 - 8/8/2014 - Alt belt changed .
77,966 - 8/24/2014 - 2nd Redline oil use. Completely Redline oil. - Noticed mid exhaust bracket broken at this time. So safety wired it until I get the replacement parts.
79,600 - 8/29/2014 - Washed Griso using engine degreaser.
- SERVICE error now occurring regularly.

Anyone know what ECU00 truly means ?
And how could it be caused by using Redline 10w60 or the washing ?

Thanks;
--ET

Did the speedo not function when you were getting the Service error? If so, it would be related to the rear wheel speedo sensor getting wet, yes.

ECU00 is a generic error that throws, and not sure why, nor has anyone more informed then I been able to say why either.

Did the speedo not function when you were getting the Service error? If so, it would be related to the rear wheel speedo sensor getting wet, yes.

ECU00 is a generic error that throws, and not sure why, nor has anyone more informed then I been able to say why either.

Thanks for the reply.
But speedometer keeps functioning properly whenever the SERVICE error occurs.

Since starting this thread. I've come across this thread:

https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/griso-8v-going-nuts.6695/

in which the op reports having a cracked exhaust.

I'm now wondering if my broken bracket for the mid exhaust is the true culprit.
And the oil change and washing are coincidence and/or are exasperating the condition.
Lambda probe sensing change in emissions ?

--ET

Thanks for the reply.I'm now wondering if my broken bracket for the mid exhaust is the true culprit. Lambda probe sensing change in emissions ?--ET
Absolutely it is. Fix the leak, and your problem will likely go away. Do you have any of the diagnostic tools yet to tell you what code is being thrown, or pull it from the dash/ECU memory and post.

Absolutely it is. Fix the leak, and your problem will likely go away. Do you have any of the diagnostic tools yet to tell you what code is being thrown, or pull it from the dash/ECU memory and post.

I have the Techno Research product for the Griso.
I used it over the weekend; found no errors.
The only error I found was the ECU00 via the diagnostics menu on the dash this morning on the way to work.

I checked for possible leaks as best I could.
And all I found was the previously mentioned broken bracket.
Here's a photo of it I took a couple weeks ago:
P8140002.JPG

I am fairly certain it was not broken when these errors first started appearing.
BUT I am probably mistaken.

Anyway; I guess I know where the holiday pay I earned by working today is going to be spent. :)

Thanks for your help !

Bummer; it's not a leaking exhaust.
Only got the error once going home from work on Monday.
It did not occur at all yesterday.
BUT this morning the red triangle and SERVICE are permanently lit, the Griso will not start or even fire, and the error reported in the diagnostics menu is ECU54. :sweating:

The PDF manual I have states that ECU error 54 is RPM Sensor error.
And the diagnostics tool I have displays the following:
ecu54.jpg

Now to find where this RPM Sensor is located.
Currently working. I got permission to work at home. So hopefully I can look into this deeper after work.

Anyone know where this RPM Sensor is located ?

Last edited:
OK. Replaced the RPM sensor.
Griso started right up. No dash or ecu errors displayed.
So went for a ride. With in 10 miles; the random SERVICE error started flashing again.
After about 50 miles it started to display more frequently.
Never did manage to catch the actual error code; but I'm assuming the same as before -- ECU00 (aka Unknown Error).

So rode to several dealers looking for Motul 7100 10w60.
None to be found. So settled for ENI's AGIP/I-Ride 10w60.

Did an oil change; replacing the Redline 10w60 with the AGIP 10w60.
Went for another ride. Nearly 100 miles later and never got the SERVICE error display.

Well this morning on the way to work. The SERVICE error display has reappeared.
It flashed over a dozen times. But never lasted long enough for me to get into the Diagnostics menu and catch the error code.
It's only been a few hundred miles since replacing the RPM sensor.

Starting to get very worried about this Griso. :(

It should seem rather unlikely that a brand of oil is going to through an error.
If it is an actual error there should be an error code stored in the ECU. Being active or not does not matter, once the code is tripped it should stay until cleared. If it does not have an error code associated with it perhaps there is something else wrong. I have seen the service message displayed for a variety of non-critical issues, like the speedo sensor (you said the speedo still works during the error message so that is not it) and a failed turn signal. Another occasional issue is the oil pressure sensor, if you get water in it or it is otherwise failing it can trip a false oil pressure warning, but that will throw a code.

I was checking out the wiring diagram and it seems like it is linked somewhat with the start-up relay, that may explain as to why you couldn't get it running. Maybe an intermittent wiring problem. (ECU #1 and #17 pin) A loose wire may be causing all this mess. My guess is that if ECU loses signal, it would display an error code.

Just a thought.

Last edited:
Only 1 quick flash of the SERVICE error today.
Hope to check all electrical connectors this or next weekend.
And also order the mid-exhaust.

(The money spent on that RPM sensor was suppose to be spent on the mid-exhaust.)

Ok it's been over 1 month, a little over 5k miles, two oil changes (from Redline to AGIP. And then from AGIP back to Motul), 1 valve adjustment, spark plug change, through both cold and warm weather, through both dry and wet weather, and I still haven't been able to replace the mid exhaust.

Shortly after my last post; I checked as many electrical connectors as I could find. And none of them were corroded.

And the SERVICE error has not flashed since my last post.

Go figure. :wondering:

My 2010 Griso 8V has begun intermittently displaying the exclamation mark inside of red triangle along with SERVICE in bold letters on dash display.

It began immediately after partially switching from Motul 7100 10w60 to Redline 10w60.
ie. That particular oil change had a 50/50 mix of Motul and Redline.
I decided to switch to Redline because:

A) Motul reduced the ZDDP content in their oil.
B) Redline's 10w60 oil has a higher ZDDP content and viscosity index.
(At least according to a UOA of virgin samples of each.)
C) Since the Griso has a dry clutch and separate transmission/gearbox. In theory; it should not be harmed; and may actually benefit; by using an Energy Conserving motor oil.
D) The warranty period for the Griso has ended. So I feel safe using Redline's 10w60. Which although not labeled as SG; it does meet the SG standard.

But that SERVICE error only occurred briefly a few times during the first mile of my commute the morning after the oil change the night before.

That is until this past weekend. I gave the Griso a good washing that included using engine degreaser to remove a lot of road grime that had built up on the bike.
Such on on the motor, the CARC, the bottom of the air box, etc ..
On the very next ride and every ride since. (Although it has been less 300 miles.) That SERVICE has been occurring regularly; but not continuously.
It appears to coincide with stop-n-go traffic or when coming to a stop after riding on interstate.

This morning I managed to catch the error code. It's ECU00. Which the service manual describes as "Not recognized Error".
What the hell does that mean ?!

Between the the above mentioned 50/50 oil change and a few days before the above mentioned washing.
I had done another oil change that was completely Redline 10w60.
Here's the time line between them:

74,712 - 7/13/2014 - first Redline oil use - 50/50 mix of Motul and Redline.
- first SERVICE error occurrence was very next morning. But had not occurred again until 8/29/2014.
77,148 - 8/8/2014 - Alt belt changed .
77,966 - 8/24/2014 - 2nd Redline oil use. Completely Redline oil. - Noticed mid exhaust bracket broken at this time. So safety wired it until I get the replacement parts.
79,600 - 8/29/2014 - Washed Griso using engine degreaser.
- SERVICE error now occurring regularly.

Anyone know what ECU00 truly means ?
And how could it be caused by using Redline 10w60 or the washing ?

Thanks;
--ET

Zinc is extremely important to the bike industry. I believe in high zinc, a bearing saver. As for the oil weight, I have never used the 10/60 in my Griso & I never had any engine issues. Don't be led astray by listening to, but viscosity really matters. No it really doesn't except on a high mileage engine or the older air cools units. My Griso & Ducati I use 10/40 racing oil. I won't state brand unless asked. We have tested so many different oils & this is one that really stood out as did one other that hails from Switzerland. Testing was done on several bikes, dirt, street & old air cooled.
Dirt bike, & three street. tested the first in synthetics (in the US) the Cast___, Moto__, Mot__, RP, Yama____, red___, Silk_____ , Luc__ & Bel-___. After a weekend on the track with the dirt bike the worst was Luc__. Moto__ was excellent reused it, RP, great reused it this two we reused for several weekends. On a Kawasaki ZX6 Dyno runs, with imidiate drains, only one came out of the engine flat. The rest were foamy. Not a good thing inside an engine with a tranny involved. I can go on but I won't. There will always be an argument or more like denile's. Testing is the only true way to find your oil, you like.

OP here,

This ECU error #00 has developed into more issues.

On April 23, 2015 while riding to work. In addition to the random red triangle along with SERVICE in bold letters on dash display.
The oil pressure light came on and an oil leak developed.
I had the bike towed home and trouble shot the leak the following day, could not find the source of the leak, so scheduled an appointment with local dealer (earliest time was May 7th). I also trouble shot the leak last weekend.
I was unable to replicate the leak. But it appeared to be the oil pressure sensor.

In addition to the oil leak and oil pressure. I also received an error about the lambda sensor not working.
And after trouble shooting the oil leak. I was unable to get the gas tank back on. It appeared to have grown in length.

On May 7 the dealer confirmed the leak was the oil pressure sensor, that the lambda sensor had gone bad, and that the gas tank had stretched slightly, however they claim to have gotten the tank back on.

BUT they were unable to determine the cause of the ECU error #00.
So they called Guzzi/Piaggio.

Piaggio's response. "We don't know what could be causing that. So just ignore it."

WHAT ?!!!

How are you suppose to ignore big, flashing warnings lights on your dash ?
And if you do ignore them; how are you going to realize other warnings ??

These issues are in addition to the broken central exhaust bracket for which Guzzi has no replacement parts; and will not pass inspection.
And that the alternator is going bad. (Did I mention that in this thread or another ?)

I think this is my first and last Guzzi.

--ET

Back