• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

OEM 50L Top Case

roadventure

GT Reference
My California arrived this morning and I have been reading the owner's manual trying to learn all the switches for the speedo gauge. Along the way I tried to remove the OEM 50L Accessory Top Case. The key lock clearly notes "CLOSE", "OPEN", "REMOVE".

I have owned other bikes and have used the 50L GIVI top case (which this one sure appears to be) and they easily popped off the mounting plate. Not so with the Moto Guzzi Top Case.

Is there a "trick" to getting the case to release from the mount plate?

Here is what I have tried:

1. insert key
  2. rotate CW to "OPEN"
  3. push IN and the handle pops up
  4. squeeze the top latch release and lift the top open.
  5. close the lid, stow the pop up handle
  6. rotate the key CW to the "RELEASE" position
  7. Push in...........nothing
  8. lift up on the case handle..........nothing
There must be more to it then I know. The thing just does not seem to release.

Any tips?

I think I see what you missed:

Insert key
Turn to Release position
Press key in
Handle pops up
And here I think is the part you missed...
Pull down on the little panel (the one the key goes into) below the handle
There is a little lock release lever to the right
Flip it with your finger
Pull up on the handle to release the top box from the mounting plate

I dislike this mechanism so much that I never take the case off the bike. Great case, lousy lock.

I seem to recall the Mono-Key GIVI case I had in the past was much simpler. I noticed that the panel with the key lock on it seemed to move, but I thought that was something breaking maybe. Turns out it just seems to be a bad design. Thanks. I'll give it a try tomorrow after work.

Your next question will probably be "How do I reattach this thing?".

Turn key to Release position
Press key inward
Handle releases
Position the top box on the mounting plate (i.e. front hooks of box in slots on plate)
Press down (you SHOULD hear it click into place)
Close handle
Turn key to Close position

Finally -- AND I CAN'T EMPHASIZE THE ENOUGH -- grab the box from below and pull up to make sure it is actually locked to the plate. I had a couple of instances where I thought the box was locked on but it wasn't. I hate to think what would have happened if I had ridden away without checking.

I agree with you on the superiority of Givi's locking system. My wife had a Givi Monokey box on her last bike. It went on and off easily with no problems and no special procedure.

I agree with Longrider on the no case removal. The Givi's are a cinch and this thing is hard to remove and install plus it feels cheap. My handle no longer latches down and I am trying to get it warranted as it is almost a year old. I have had several Givi's with no problems. $560 for a trunk made by Shad when the bike is Italian and they won't use Givi. :banghead:
Always make sure it latches. I must have accidentally unlatched the Givi 52 on my PC800 because I had not removed it recently. I noticed it when I got to where I was going. Riding back I never found it. Besides the case there was a $165 pair of Perrins gloves (wish they still made them), intercom cords and I forget what else. Just a lot of money disappeared.

Since Shad makes the 50L case, does anyone know if the mounting plate is the same as the Shad SH50 50L case? I can get the black Shad case for much less than the Guzzi case and it comes with the mounting plate and backrest. It looks like there are four holes on the Guzzi luggage rack from the pics; are they the mounting holes for the mounting plate? If so, I would think it's easier to design one manufacturer part to fit Shad's mounting plate rather than Shad modifying their standard plate to fit one manufacturer rack. It's not like the cali 1400 rack is a mass market item. If the SH50 mounting plate fits the guzzi rack (it should), I might just get that instead. Does anyone know?

The mounting plate that comes with the Guzzi 50L top case has lots of holes in it (presumably to adapt to different bikes). Four of them line up with the bolt holes in the Guzzi luggage rack. Then there is a smooth cover that screws on top to make everything tidy. I have no idea if Shad makes the case for Guzzi, so make sure you can return the Shad if it doesn't fit. Also, the backrest on the Guzzi case is much nicer than anything I've seen on a Givi or Shad case.

Shad is molded into the inside of the trunk. Kind of a giveaway. :smirk: PP-TX20 is also molded on there if that means anything to anybody. It does bolt on with the 4 holes in the Guzzi rack and the mounting plate really looks like a universal fit item.
Oh yea. I forgot to say I agree the backrest is one of the nicest I have seen.

Thanks for the info, it's kind of what I was thinking. I do agree the Guzzi backrest looks nice from the pics. I'm going to have to see if I can find a pic of the Shad backrest to compare. Thanks again!

Thanks Longrider! That's what I needed to see. I've been on that page in the past but forgot about it. I appreciate you posting the URL.

I don't think the Stock backrest is bad, but it doesn't look as nice as the Guzzi backrest. The Shad case is available in gloss black, which will match my cali (close). I'll have the weigh the savings vs. overall features. Hmmm...

On the SHAD website ( http://www.shadonline.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=D0B50KL )they show a brake light kit. Does anyone know if this will fit with the Moto Guzzi version of the SH50 top case?

D0B50KL-2.jpg

Mikefmoto and Roadventure,

Guzzi's OEM case may be a version of Shad's SH50 but it isn't exactly the same. You can see differences (e.g. ribs around the perimeter of the Shad) comparing pictures of the cases. Likewise, Roadventure's picture of Shad's mounting plate differs from Guzzi's (which does not have that big rectangular opening). I'm not saying that Shad's stuff won't work on a 1400 luggage rack -- it looks like it will -- but the first person to try will be a guinea pig for the rest of us.

Guzzi's OEM case may be a version of Shad's SH50 but it isn't exactly the same. You can see differences (e.g. ribs around the perimeter of the Shad) comparing pictures of the cases. Likewise, Roadventure's picture of Shad's mounting plate differs from Guzzi's (which does not have that big rectangular opening). I'm not saying that Shad's stuff won't work on a 1400 luggage rack -- it looks like it will -- but the first person to try will be a guinea pig for the rest of us.

I need MORE light at the back of the California. Those clear lense LEDS are notorious for being invisible in daylight. I might be saying "oink, oink". :eek:

I need MORE light at the back of the California. Those clear lense LEDS are notorious for being invisible in daylight. I might be saying "oink, oink". :eek:

I might have to squeal like a Guinea Pig.

Attachments

• IMG_5275.JPG
    IMG_5275.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 35
Thanks to all for the info on the 50L MG top case. After assurances here that I WAS heading in the right direction on case removal I tried it and found it is quite easy to remove and replace it. It DOES feel though like you are doing something wrong when taking the top case off the mount plate.

Back