• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Strange Thing Hapened while riding

mikefmoto

Tuned and Synch'ed
It was a nice evening last night, so I went for a ride. I decided to try the cruise control for the first time on a small 4 lane bypass around my town.

I had the night time light and driving lights on. When I activated the cruise control, the red Service Light went on and "Service" was displayed on the screen. The cruise control worked, by the way.

It was getting dusk and I didn't notice until I returned home that none of my lights were on and the dash light was out. I still had the service indication. So, I lost my lights. When the ignition was switched on, the dash lights would turn on for the normal 10 seconds but not stay on when the "night" driving lights were switched.

I got the manual out and looked into the fuses. I pulled the #1 15A fuse and accidentally dropped it down into the bike. So, I pulled the spare 15A fuse and plugged it in. I couldn't find the original fuse to confirm it was blown, but I will assume it was since the new fuse returned my lights.

All my lights work now, but I still have the red service light and the screen reads "service." I can't move through the menus because that function seems to be disabled; the only thing showing on the screen is the "service" message.

I guess I'll call the dealer to make an appointment to have it checked or reset. Is this going to happen every time a fuse blows or a light bulb goes out? We'll have to take the bike to the dealer to have the service message reset? Some of us live a long way from the dealer. Can't scroll through the menu to add the service code to clear the message like my previous Guzzi. Perhaps it is an indication of a larger issue and the blown fuse was the result. I'll find out, hopefully.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem?

Thanks!

Here's an update....

Got home from work and decided to start the bike to see if the problem was still there (I was kidding myself); I thought I would test the definition of insanity by doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result, yada yada....

I guess I'm not insane, the bike started with no "service" message or steady service light. The problem cleared itself.

So, it's been almost 24 hours. Does anyone know if there is timer for issues after they've been fixed (the fuse) and not manually cleared via the software? Does a cool bike perhaps have something to do with it?

Not sure if there's anything the dealer can do at this point, I'll just have to see if it happens again.

If anyone has any insight or a theory, for that matter, let me know because this has become a mystery.

Thanks!
Mike

Interesting.. thanks for the post. I'll pass this along to Tech Svcs and see what kind of reply I get. I should have my first Centurion-S Kit any day now, and I'll pass along on what it is capable of. Hopefully the service reset is one of them.
Post again if/when you visit the dealer or if the problem arrises again.

Thanks Todd, hopefully someone will have an idea.

With the fuse replaced, I decided to take the bike out for another ride and as soon as I started down the street, the service light and message went on again. I have confirmed #1 15A fuse is blowing, causing the alert light.

I bought extra fuses to troubleshoot. As soon as the ignition switch is switched to the "on" position, the fuse immediately blows; you can see the little spark as the circuit opens.

According to the manual, brake lights, night time lights, driving/fog lights are affected. I have the daytime LEDs, they don't seem to be on the circuit, even though the manual says they are. Not having brake lights is what really bothers me in having to take this to the dealer. The manual also lists the order of fuses opposite from the way they are arranged in my fuse box.

Obviously, something is shorting. This looks like a job for the dealer, so I'll give them a call to take it in. I wonder if the scan tool/ecu has the ability to identify the shorted component because this could be a potential mess to troubleshoot. I had a conversation with the dealer about locating the power plug for the gps when I purchased the bike , supposedly under the tank. They told me their techs couldn't find the plug, so they just ran power from the battery to the gps for someone. Having heard that story, my confidence is questionable with regard to them troubleshooting this short. I have an electrical engineering background and could probably troubleshoot this with a lot of time, but I don't have that kind of time on my hands and, besides, the bike is new and under warranty.

Has anyone heard of any similar stories with the Cali 1400?

Have you tried turning off the driving lights?
Could be one or both of those are shorted (could even be the switch) and flipping the fuse.
F14

Have you tried turning off the driving lights?
Could be one or both of those are shorted (could even be the switch) and flipping the fuse.
F14

Thanks for the suggestion...I did turn the driving lights off using the toggle switch and the fuse still blew. What do you mean by flipping the fuse F14? Where is F14 labeled?

Thanks.

"According to the manual, brake lights, night time lights, driving/fog lights are affected"

I would use elimination, ie pull the bulbs (or in the case of LED's then disconnect at harness connector closest to bulb or LED assembly) to find what is shorting.
Sorry, I use 'flipping' for a fuse when its really meant for a breaker.

A new and interesting update....

Even though I am more than capable of troubleshooting the circuits feeding the fuse that keeps blowing, I figured the bike is one month old and under warranty, so I'm going to have it fixed by the dealer.

On my way to drop it off at the dealer, which is about an hour drive, the speed started to indicate that I was traveling 247mph, not kmh. I noticed the throttle was becoming less responsive and then it finally just completely died. I coasted into an empty parking lot and called the dealer, now about 20min away, to let them know I was on my way to drop it off for my appointment and it died. They were great and came with their truck to pick it up and haul it back to the shop.

So, now it seems that there is more involved than just the circuit for the lights. I downloaded the complete wiring diagrams and spent about an hour looking at them. Practically everything on the bike is interconnected with the control unit and it's anyone's guess as to what is causing the new problem. It all started when I used the cruise control for the first time, as I mentioned in my first post. I'm very curious to find out what is causing this. Good thing the bike is bone stock, so I know I didn't introduce any problems with electrical mods.

We'll see........ It's just getting better : )

Is it just me, or does the 1400 have excessive amount of issues?
Yes I know its a new model but what I read should not be happening...
My 02 Cali is rock solid.

That being said I do love the bike...

MG Mike

MG Mike

I hear you. My wife and I were just talking tonight about this. I went with Guzzi in part because they have a reputation for being generally rock solid. We plan to go on trips with this bike and I am sure glad this happened at home because we would have been SOL if we were on a trip, especially with Guzzi's very thin dealer network.

ANOTHER ISSUE...
Hello all, both my fender mount tabs under the seat are broken. (another warranty issue)
My question is this...If you look where the fender is bolted down is there any type
of rubber grommet/washer? Mine was metal to plastic with no type of washer.

Thanks

Mike

MG Mike
I would not say excessive so far on mine but more than should be. More than any Japanese bike but I'll bet the '02 had some niggles new that were addressed and now it is fine. Why Guzzi can't deliver the bike with the niggles fixed is beyond me. The same half plastic half steel part number applies to the fuel filter. So years later they are still using a known problem part. Throw new electronics on top of that coupled with the same old problems and it is irritating. My 2007 Norge developed warped brake rotors and the front brake on my California 1400 are now pulsing. Why? It's not like saving a pound on a 750 pound bike is that important compared to customer satisfaction.
Do want a V7 and a Griso? Yes. But I love the reliability of my 2012 Suzuki V-Strom that has had tire changes and oil changes in the 1-1/2 years I have owned it. Farkle additions don't count. The Guzzi has the same amount of miles and much more unplanned work plus is due for the second valve adjustment. The V-Strom is due in 9,000 more miles. If only it had a shaft.

ANOTHER ISSUE...
Hello all, both my fender mount tabs under the seat are broken. (another warranty issue)
My question is this...If you look where the fender is bolted down is there any type
of rubber grommet/washer? Mine was metal to plastic with no type of washer.

Thanks

Mike

Hey Mike,

The problem is with the metal clips that hold the rear fender sub frame. They crack and then the fender vibrates breaking the tabs. I removed my clips after the dealer replaced fender and used a bolt and lock nut. 3500 miles and no issues.

Kelley

Broken Clips

WOW Thanks ALOT!!! I will pass on info to dealer and request he just do that while its apart.....

MG Mike.....

Thanks Kelley, I have noticed recently ($K miles) at low RPMs that my rear fender is rattling so much I think something is going to fall off the back of the bike (like the plate housing or something), but its just the rear fender vibrating.
I will implement your fix the next rainy day, hopefully the plastic tabs haven't broken yet.
Appreciate the pic !

F14

A new and interesting update....

Even though I am more than capable of troubleshooting the circuits feeding the fuse that keeps blowing, I figured the bike is one month old and under warranty, so I'm going to have it fixed by the dealer.

On my way to drop it off at the dealer, which is about an hour drive, the speed started to indicate that I was traveling 247mph, not kmh. I noticed the throttle was becoming less responsive and then it finally just completely died. I coasted into an empty parking lot and called the dealer, now about 20min away, to let them know I was on my way to drop it off for my appointment and it died. They were great and came with their truck to pick it up and haul it back to the shop.

So, now it seems that there is more involved than just the circuit for the lights. I downloaded the complete wiring diagrams and spent about an hour looking at them. Practically everything on the bike is interconnected with the control unit and it's anyone's guess as to what is causing the new problem. It all started when I used the cruise control for the first time, as I mentioned in my first post. I'm very curious to find out what is causing this. Good thing the bike is bone stock, so I know I didn't introduce any problems with electrical mods.

We'll see........ It's just getting better : )

I just realized I never posted what the problem was after my lengthy issue report. It turns out that the wiring or plug under the rear fender wasn't secured properly and was hanging and being rubbed by the tire. This caused an intermittent short to the fuse box. The dealer made the repair and I've had no problems since.

I did notice last week that the clear coat on the front left fork is bubbling and chipping off. That will be another trip back to the dealer. Sigh.

Mike

I just realized I never posted what the problem was after my lengthy issue report. It turns out that the wiring or plug under the rear fender wasn't secured properly and was hanging and being rubbed by the tire. This caused an intermittent short to the fuse box. The dealer made the repair and I've had no problems since.

I did notice last week that the clear coat on the front left fork is bubbling and chipping off. That will be another trip back to the dealer. Sigh.

Mike
Hi Mike, don't want to sound like the minister of gloom and doom but I'm beginning to think there's some crap quality control going on at planet Guzzi. Your wiring issue and the seat issue, if its due to poor assembly procedures, is inexcusable. Ive got a 2007 build California Classic that has been quite possibly one of the most unreliable motorcycles I've ever been cursed with. Just about every problem i can think of has plagued my bike: ECU failure (still not resolved), pulsing brakes, seat covering failure, poor paint finish on front guard, brake line blowing at 60kph, tacho failure, advanced alloy corrosion on both handlebar switch blocks, Guzzi eagle badges on gen cover and starter cover falling off, constant oil leaks from gearshift shaft and timing pickup, fuel pump failure, tacho and speedo lamps constantly blowing, 15amp fuse failures, final drive crown hub seal failure and a constant vibration from the tank which my mechanic just can't track down. a few of the things I've mentioned such as the seat, the ornaments, the paint and the tacho/speedo lamp failures were directly as a result of poor assembly. This bike is definitely theeee last Moto Guzzi I will ever buy. I would love to swap it for a boring yet ultra reliable large bore Jap machine but finances don't permit at this time. Just before I bought this bike I was tossing up between it and the Suzuki GSX1400- wish I'd bought one now but at the time I wasn't keen on chain drive. It's bitterly disappointing as the whole exercise in going for the California was based on the perception of longevity, reliability, simplicity and one of the lightest cruisers in the market, a perception that has been shattered and soured my belief in this company and its products. I've test ridden the Cali 1400 and was thrilled by it. I would buy one if someone from Italy could assure me it wasn't going to be rubbish like the one I own now but my experience has scared me off the Marque. I sincerely hope you have no further issues with your 1400.
Marc.

Hello,

Still waiting for subframe.....no further issues..(except still doesn't start easily when hot...usually have to hit starter about 3 seconds).
but motor is great....handles wonderfully....I have heard on the grapevine. MG has corrected the teething issues. I hope so because I absolutely love riding the bike and really should be experienced. Todd...I am still waiting for final starting issue to be corrected..then it time for some GTECH toys.....

Mike
Thanks for starting this thread 6 years ago. I wish I would have discovered this forum before I purchased a 2016 Eldorado 1400. I may have passed on the purchase otherwise. My hope is my issues can be worked out and I can enjoy the bike, which I do when running w/o issues. I have the service message you mentioned. When I purchased the bike, 5 days ago, lights and blinkers worked correctly. Yesterday I noticed the low beam was not working. There was an H3 bulb that came with the bike. Not in a blister pack, I wasn't sure it was good or not. Regardless, the process of replacing a bulb would be good so I proceeded to remove the light assembly and install the spare H3. Firing up the bike, the low beam was still non functional. My hope was that it was an old bulb and not an electrical issue. I went ahead and installed the original bulb and half-ass put the assembly together with the intent to ride the bike the next day to pick up an H3 bulb. Next day comes, I fire the bike up and set off to the automotive store. I notice the service message and warning light was no longer present. At some point during the ride home the service message and warning light came back on. Bummer. A few hours later I install the new H3 bulb and verify it works before reattaching the head light assembly. No low beam until I flip the throttle side day time/ night time headlight switch. Behold, the low beam works in night time mode. I proceed to reattach the headlight assembly, start the bike and verify the low beam work. It does. I also notice the service message and warning light is not on. So something to do with messing with the front headlight is clearing the message and warning light. At least until I take it for a spin in the following days. I did notice the wire loom going into the headlight assembly has some exposed wires. The rubber wire sleeve has cracked. I wrapped with electrical tape, the wire upon a quick look seemed ok and the headlight assembly, like a lot of other parts on this bike is plastic so a short there me thinks unlikely. We will see.

Now I need to address the "hanging throttle" issue. Again, if I would have found this forum prior to purchasing the Eldo, I probably would have saved my money. Cheers.

Back