• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oil Cooler Thermostats

leafman60

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Apparently there is doubt about whether the Guzzi 8V Motors have a thermostat in the oil cooler circuit.

derale.com/products/coolers/accessories/fluid-control-thermostats

These are sold through several race product and automotive supply outlets, about $60.

summitracing.com/parts/DER-13011/

They keep your oil temps to 180 degrees minimum. The screw-in connector points allow elbows and fittings to aid in location of the thermostat.

Der 13011

A couple of past Harley Davidson parts that are discontinued but can still be found at some dealers and on Ebay. Any dealer can give you a nationwide search to locate obsolete parts still in stock at dealers.

H-D 62678-99

001 1

H-D 62824-97 (an old Lockhart part)

HD 62824 97

Improved Racing with ratings up to 215 degrees-
improvedracing.com/oiling-system/thermostats-c-3_34.html

Also from England-
Mocal
mocal.co.uk/products.html#thermostats

Other options also exist.

According the manual the Stelvio has already one..

Chek page 172 Workshop manual.

Grts

I haven't heard from anyone who actually had one stock on their Guzzi. Maybe they are there, but I would have to see it to believe it. They certainly act like they do not have one. They are notorious for mayonnaise in the oil when run in cool damp climates.
We used to run them on our Ducati race bikes, the thermostats. They work well and are a great idea for any oil cooled bike. You wouldn't normally run a water cooled bike without a thermostat (unless it is a TZ250 or other such), why would you run an oil cooled motor that way?

Au contraire mon ami.

You cannot trust the factory manuals. They didn't update the pages to show that these 8V motors do not have the thermostat that was featured on preceding engines.

I don't understand the engineers reasoning but no thermostats on the later 8V motors.

The 1100/1200 engines that preceded the 8V show the thermostat on the parts fiche.
Item # 5, part number GU01163500

The 8V motors show no thermostat, only the cover (item 8 ) that went over it

The oil cooler circuit of the 8V motor also shows no thermostat in the circuit or in the cooler

Last edited:
Over simplification I'm sure but cover 8 seal 7 appear to be the same perhaps the 1100/1200 stat would fit?

That went through my mind too. But it would be a brave person to fit one without determining what the thermostat would be controlling/restricting.

FWIW, the California 1400 motor doesn't appear to have a thermostat fitted either. But it appears to have two temperature sensors (excluding the air temperature sensor). One is shown on the wiring diagram (887421 Temp. Sensor) and the other at the bottom of the crankcase (B063461 Thermometric switch). The latter one is interesting as it is immersed in the oil. But what is it's purpose, as I cannot see any system where the ECU can control the flow to the oil cooler? Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

Giving this some more thought earlier motor cooler is there for the lubricating oil and cooling in the normal air cooled sense it may be very difficult to devise a system to bring the lab oil up to temp and keep the high flow cooling oil cool?

I've fitted an R+R thermometer dipstick to my 8v Sport, and on a hundred mile ride out today, in ambient temperatures of between 7 and 10 degrees C, was interested to find oil temp of 100 C. In fact , having warmed the engine up for five mins and then gone a mile to juice up, the temp was already at 40. The bike is bog stock. I've still got a stat on order to plumb in at some point.

I made and fitted a Thermostat unit to my '09 Stelvio around 3000 miles ago.

Thermo2 2

ThermoCircuit1

It uses a standard Wax-Stat unit, set to begin opening at 93°C
Below that, the vast majority of the Oil flows directly to the Heads (a very small % still flows through the Cooler all the time).

It warms up much quicker now, and settles at around 110-115°C.

The Stelvio Engine is over-cooled when it comes to the Oil.
Fully Synthetic Oils should run at around 110-120°C ideally.
The Oil in mine would struggle to get much above 75-80°C during the cooler months (ambient temps of 12°C or less), or in Rain.
I was getting a lot of 'Mayo' (emulsified Oil deposits) in the Rocker Covers.

Not any more . . .

Imagine the fuss if a manufacturer offered a water-cooled Engine with no Thermostat?

Back