• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New tires for my 2009 Stelvio HELP!

superbike

Just got it firing!
So I need new tries. Not because mine are excessively worn, but lately the rear end steps out AGGRESSIVELY in moderate corners long after they should be sufficiently warm. I've spent many years road racing and the rear end slip is enough to spook the S*%t out of me. And don't get me started on the wife's reaction... :fubar: Any suggestions? My Stelvio is mostly an touring/urban assault vehicle, with only a rare (easy) fire road mixed in. I do not ride it like my sportbike, fast but not at all silly. Open to all suggestions except the ones about where to stick my old tires... :)
IMG 3835

Tire selection as a matched pair is pretty tough with the 5.5 x 17 rear & 2.75 x 19 front. If you don't care about a matched set, I recommend the Dunlop Roadsmart II. If you want a matched set, I think Michelin might be your only option. Hope that helps.

Michelin Pilot road 3 or 4. My buddy runs the 3 on his 2010 and I run the 4 trails on my 2012. They will be fine on fire roads as long as you don't finds mud or sand.

Greetings! Thanks all, looks like the Pirelli Scorpion Trail Dual Sport would be a nice fit - (thanks bikerdar) and pretty reasonable. Any other feedback? Any recommendations on OC locations to have them installed? Cheers!

Greetings! Thanks all, looks like the Pirelli Scorpion Trail Dual Sport would be a nice fit - (thanks bikerdar) and pretty reasonable. Any other feedback? Any recommendations on OC locations to have them installed? Cheers!
The Scorpion Trails are horrible IMO. Terrible wear and mediocre grip. Don't you have Scorps on it now?
Order them up and send them to me, and ride up and I'll put them on for you. Static mount & balance by an ex-Dunlop Pro Racing Installer. ;)

That was the OE. Pirelli's seem so, I don't know italian! Good point on wear the bike has only 5000 miles and they have zero grip. They seemed much better new. I honestly don't care as much about wear as I do about it being sticky and suitable for a variety of road conditions...

I'll look some more! Thanks!

I replaced my scorpion trail with Metzler tourance extra and find them well up to the job considering at times I do still think I am riding my Tuono

Heidenau K60 Scouts, 8000 miles on the rear, front looks like it will see out another rear. Used on road and on road, wet and dry. Popular on those big german bikes

So it looks like the Dunlop Trailmax TR91 would fit both front an rear. If I choose not to match front and rear and use the Dunlop Raodsmart 2, what other front tire would I use? :shake:

Thanks Brooksy, It's not on the Dunlop USA site, at least that I can find. I'll check with a couple of dealers...
Dunlop USA

Bill, the TR91 isn't available in a 180/55, nor is the RSII in a 19" in the U.S. (don't ask why). Michelin is your only solid option outside of the Scorps. Worthy of noting to those posting, Bill isn't interested in knobbies I can probably wager.

You are correct about the knobbies...:D I think this tire size is what has me baffled, that and I'm not that smart to begin with. I think the tires on my Stelvio are front 110/80/19 and the rear are 150/70/17 at least that what they say on the side wall. Is this a rim width deal? Beacuse these sizes are available in lots of tires. Lost in Lake Fores....

Bill, did you swap the rim to a 4.5"? All '09s come with a 5.5". If you have the narrow rim, then you're all set on any you listed above.

If I could read my life would be so much easier... The rear is a 180/55/17. WOW is my face red...:blush:

Michelin Pilot road 3 or 4. My buddy runs the 3 on his 2010 and I run the 4 trails on my 2012. They will be fine on fire roads as long as you don't finds mud or sand.
I agree with canuck1969 the miches pilot road 3 and 4 are excellent- (in wet and dry) did not take much time to scrub them up either.

I am currently using Dunlop TR91 Trailmax. I have found them to grip well in all on roadconditions, but mileage is about 5k when I change them. They were ok on easy trails in the Dolomite mountains.
I haven't been too impressed with the OE Pirellis, they're ok but didn't instil confidence as much as the Dunlops. On my first Stelvio I used Continental Road Attak after the OE Pirellis, then when they wore out I used Dunlop Roadsmart. Again the road biased Dunlops felt more secure both in the wet and the dry. I usually get rid of rear tyres around 5k as they are usually squaring off and the tread is getting near to the legal limit. I haven't tried Michelins yet.

Back