• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Norge ABS stays lit

Hit Man

Tuned and Synch'ed
A friend of mine has a Norge with an ABS light that stays lit. I think he understands the cancellation function on the menu, has checked the fuses and battery connections.

Battery was drained flat once, and the ABS lead to the battery was disconnected. It has been reconnected (it goes on the positive terminal, right?).

If the battery has low voltage, is it possible for the the engine to start and operate normally yet still be too low to allow proper ABS function?

Any other ideas appreciated.

No, I don't think that's possible. There's minimal voltage under which the engine won't even try to start, but once it runs all electronics are powered off the alternator. Has he checked for errors on the dashboard (in the diagnostics menu)?

Aren't there 2 leads to the battery, a red on the + and a black on the - ?

Your friend is lucky his battery is still alive: these AGMs don't appreciate at all to be drained flat!

Part number 13 Is the ABS sensor and 11 is the Sensor ring. If the sensor is bad or the connector end is not seated right or corroded then the ABS light will never go out, other possibility is a bad ABS computer.

abs.jpg

Low voltage is also possible as you asked. There may be enough voltage to start and run the bike, but the voltage may dip enough during a start cycle to trigger an ABS fault. Once tripped it stays active. I see this all the time with BMW ABS systems. I haven't seen it with a Guzzi yet, but it is possible. What year is the Norge and how old is the battery?

John - not saying you're wrong, but what you're describing doesn't really make sense (i.e. I'd call it a bug in the ABS firmware)! On our Guzzis, ABS is activated only after the bike has travelled a certain distance, at a speed over 5km/h if memory serves me well. With the engine running. This would be a perfect way to filter out voltage dips — and given the importance of the device, a clever engineer would have added buffering against transient voltage dips too!

Hello;

I had this problem... It is a poor connection at the battery.. The ABS is very voltage sensitive, if the battery is at all low, it will not activate. In my case it was simple corrosion. I cleaned the terminals, and the ring connectors at the battery. As long as they are clean and shiny the ABS is ok... As soon as I get a solid light I know it't time to clean the terminals..

RJVB said:
John - not saying you're wrong, but what you're describing doesn't really make sense (i.e. I'd call it a bug in the ABS firmware)! On our Guzzis, ABS is activated only after the bike has travelled a certain distance, at a speed over 5km/h if memory serves me well. With the engine running. This would be a perfect way to filter out voltage dips — and given the importance of the device, a clever engineer would have added buffering against transient voltage dips too!

Same with the BMW system. You have to go a certain distance. Low battery will cause the BMW system to fault and the bike runs just fine.

John, It's a 2008, original battery, only 1,300 miles.

All -Thanks for the other ideas; it starts and otherwise runs like a top.

Can someone confirm what there are for ABS connections that go directly to the battery?

Hit Man said:
John, It's a 2008, original battery, only 1,300 miles.

All -Thanks for the other ideas; it starts and otherwise runs like a top.

Can someone confirm what there are for ABS connections that go directly to the battery?

Since it hasn't been used much the battery could be in a weakened condition. I would not take that off my list of possible faults until you have eliminated any less than ideal wiring connections.

I'll ask my question a different way.

In addition to the cables that connect to the battery, are there some leads with ring terminals that are ABS related that connect directly to the battery posts? Just one additional to the + on post, or is there also an ABS lead that connects to the - post?

Hit Man said:
I'll ask my question a different way.

In addition to the cables that connect to the battery, are there some leads with ring terminals that are ABS related that connect directly to the battery posts? Just one additional to the + on post, or is there also an ABS lead that connects to the - post?

Look at the schematic here. https://www.guzzitech.com/guzzi007/s ... ge_ABS.gif 26 is the battery. 64 is the ABS controller. There are two fused circuits from the power lead on the battery to the ABS units. Identify these fuses and start tracing the wires on your bike.

Ah... there is another thing to check.... The "fuse blocks" that are used are really Rubber holders that connect the bladed fuses to the wire connector directly. So they have a problem, and that is when you push the fuse in, it can push the wire out the bottom, or really only "touch" not connect... So, re-check the connection between the fuse and the wire connector, make sure they are really seated correctly and tightly... I found mine had backed off a bit!

Back