• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Fuel Tank Pimples

PJA0916

Just got it firing!
GT Famiglia
I have a 2013 Griso with the black and silver paint and sticker job. Maybe people with older Griso's may have had this problem. What can be best described as pimples are showing up in the silver paint. They can barely be felt on the paint surface if at all. It would be as if circular flush rivets were used to assemble a metal tank and the edges of the rivet started showing through the paint. They are all circular, are showing up in random places and are increasing in number. I would try to post a photo, but they are very difficult to see in pictures because they only show up on the silver. And if this was not bad enough one of the black stickers is starting to bubble up and will not stay attached to the tank. My dealer has sent photo's and a description of the problem to the Piaggio group to see if they will replace the tank since the bike is still under warranty. I have looked at 2014 models and have not seen the problem, but it did take about a year for the defect to start showing up on my tank. And I thought after going through 6 tanks on my Ducati that I would escape fuel tank problems with this bike. So has anybody else experienced this on their Griso? Please, no jokes about my tank starting to look like the face of a teenager!

It is a tank issue. It has happened to others. If you search the forum you will see there have been other cases. It sounds like the dealer is doing what he should.

The dealer is doing a good job, my fear is that Moto Guzzi will not replace the tank. The dealer had similar problems with Aprilia fuel tanks and the Piaggio group would not authorize tank replacements in those cases. I wanted to see if anyone else was able to get a new tank.

My black 07 had them when I bought it. I personally think it's caused by ethinol in the fuel. I bought a new tank from F1 and now I won't run anything but non ethinol. They haven't reappeared in a year now. Knock on wood they won't again.

My black 07 (bought in 06, first one sold in Md) has no pimples and only runs on ethanol fuel.
General consensus is ethanol is to blame, but it is odd that yours would with some exposure to ethanol and mine, which due to Md law, always runs ethanol has no issues. Seems there are other factors involved beyond whether or not the fuel has ethanol in it.

A friend had a KTM 990 Adventure and the decals on the tank all bubbled and started some peeling, Consensus was ethanol. KTM said the next one will probably do it also if you don't coat the tank. He sold the bike but bought another KTM. Must be like owning a Guzzi.
A lot of people with vintage fiberglass tanks that the ethanol eats use Caswell tank sealer. A friend just used it to to seal a rusty tank on his TS185 and it worked great plus it is supposedly unaffected by ethanol.
http://www.caswellplating.com/restoration-aids/epoxy-gas-tank-sealer.html

I have a 2014 Griso (Black/Silver)... My bike is 17 months old with 10,000 miles on the clock. My tank is starting to develop "bumps" too. This sucks! I've experienced this "tank swelling" with Ducati's and MV's also.....what a nightmare! I have had a total of 3 tanks replaced by those manufacturers. MV actually has "new" tanks that don't swell... I guess Acerbes finally came up with a plastic formula that ethanol doesn't attack.

Anyway, was your problem resolved by Guzzi?

Back