• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

California 1400 fuel tank capacity & MPG question

abbienormal

High Miler
GT Famiglia
The manual says 5.41 +/-0.13 U.S. gallons or 20.5 +/-0.5 liter. I just checked that as I thought it was 5.3gallon and 20 liter. For those of you in the UK it shows 4.51 +/-0.11 gallon. Supposedly 1.3 gallons U.S. (5 l) is for reserve.
Has anybody run one out of fuel to see what they will actually hold?
I have stopped for gas with just over 40 miles on reserve showing and only put 4.5 gallons in it. Since my mileage normally runs close to 40mpg +/-2mpg I figure 70 miles or more on reserve but I am in no hurry to find out. I've thought about going for a ride with some spare fuel on board but figure it is easier if somebody else has found out by accident or on purpose. I am not sure how well the fuel pump will empty the tank.
Normal cruising on a trip my reserve comes on between 140 to 150 miles.

My input on the few tankfuls I've run through, is that even with ~40+ miles on the count up odometer once the fuel light illuminates, I rarely have squeezed in ~3.5-.7 gallons. Like all of the other Guzzi fuel gauges, they are obviously set up for you never to run out of fuel. I'll be watching for other feedback myself.

My input on the few tankfuls I've run through, is that even with ~40+ miles on the count up odometer once the fuel light illuminates, I rarely have squeezed in ~3.5-.7 gallons. Like all of the other Guzzi fuel gauges, they are obviously set up for you never to run out of fuel. I'll be watching for other feedback myself.
I picked a Cali this October and have been on several trips. After the fuel light comes on, I put on another 20 - 30 miles before refueling. ( I'm getting about 42 mpg average). I've topped it off but it still only takes around 3.5 gallons. I'm curious how far I can go on a tank full but don't want to push it.

I took my tank apart to change the fuel filter (don't do it unless you have a lot of miles or crap fuel). Let me tell you the inside of that tank is as convoluted as they get. I can see nowhere the fuel will hide and the center part drops down to a nice opening where the fuel pump sits. I am thinking it will pump out almost all of the fuel except for however far from the bottom the fuel pickup is in the pump. It does not look very far, maybe 10mm would be my guess. There is a screen around the base so I can't see the pickup. Where you look in the tank you are looking at that low point so you can judge a little.

Since the fuel light appears to be premature (ain't they all?), perhaps a better way would be to compare distances on a tankful. The furthest I have made it is 185 miles, and I possibly had nearly a litre left as the fill up was 19.6 litres, if the figures can be believed.

I reckon I can make over 200 miles on one tank with the warmer weather currently prevailing in Kiwi land.

" I've thought about going for a ride with some spare fuel on board ..."

That is going to be about the only way to know on YOUR bike with YOUR style of riding. I've done it with all but one bike. Whether the fuel pump empties the tank or not is not relevant. When there is no more "go", note your mileage on the trip meter, put in the spare fuel you have with you and then fill up ASAP. Then you'll KNOW.

I just changed out my fuel filter, primarily because I was worried it was the half plastic unit but it was not, and I drained the tank down as far as I could before doing this. After I installed the filter and had the tank back on I started the engine out of curiosity. It ran so I took a long screwdriver and used it as a dipstick. There is about 3/4" (19mm) of gas in there and it still runs. I'd love to take it to a station and fill it right now to see what it takes but it is 31F (-1C) (a warm front) out and the front wheel is leaning against the bench while MG decides if they are going to warranty the brake rotors.

Warped. Nice pulse in my front brake lever. Funny. All the bikes I have owned with disk brakes and I have only ever had warped rotors on my 2 Guzzis. I have blued a dual disk CBX setup on my CB650 (much younger + stoppies) and wore grooves in one set on a PC800.

Warped. Nice pulse in my front brake lever. Funny. All the bikes I have owned with disk brakes and I have only ever had warped rotors on my 2 Guzzis. I have blued a dual disk CBX setup on my CB650 (much younger + stoppies) and wore grooves in one set on a PC800.
I'm also getting a pulsating action when I apply the front brakes. My bike is pretty new (3 mos. plus 1,600 miles) and I'm taking it back to the dealer. Not really sure the rotors are warped since others have suggested that the pads may be making contact below the rotors along the spline. Anyway, this shouldn't happen on a new bike. Good luck with yours!

I just changed out my fuel filter, primarily because I was worried it was the half plastic unit but it was not, and I drained the tank down as far as I could before doing this. After I installed the filter and had the tank back on I started the engine out of curiosity. It ran so I took a long screwdriver and used it as a dipstick. There is about 3/4" (19mm) of gas in there and it still runs. I'd love to take it to a station and fill it right now to see what it takes but it is 31F (-1C) (a warm front) out and the front wheel is leaning against the bench while MG decides if they are going to warranty the brake rotors.
I finally got a chance to go to the gas station about 1 mile from my house. Just for safety I put a quart of gas in before leaving so 0.25 gallon there. At the station, carefully filling it just a bit into the neck I fit 4.67 gallons. So that is only about 5 gallons. If what was left in the tank was another 4 tenths then it was more than I thought. I will be operating on the thought that if I ever put 5.1 gallons in it was luck I made it to the station.

Finished a 2000km trip in the northwest, did average 43 MPG compared to 25 MPG in the city. Did notice best fuel consumption speed 105 -110 KM/HR.

I've gotten anywhere from 32 to 40 mpg on a tank full and at 8888 mi am still trying to sort it out.

The other day I did a run of about 100 miles and clocked about 43mpg--mostly freeway. My usual combined is around 35mpg. On another run on back roads at about 60mph (with some significant long climbs) I clocked 46mpg filling up after about 150 miles (that's the best I've ever noted).

My 2017 California 1400 is still relatively new and I am hoping that over time the engine break-in period will increase my KPL at I am currently averaging about 14 KM/LTR which would work out to about 280 KM on a 20 ltr tank of gas I am using 94 Octane non ethanol fuel, see fuel tracker attached:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-21 at 23.51.52.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-10-21 at 23.51.52.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
My 2017 California 1400 is still relatively new and I am hoping that over time the engine break-in period will increase my KPL at I am currently averaging about 14 KM/Ltr which would work out to about 280 KM on a 20 qtr tank of gas I am using 94 Octane non ethanol fuel, see fuel tracker attached:

They do improve as they loosen up, filled mine today at 295kms, about 30kms after fuel light came on, took 17.11ltrs or 5.8ltr/100kms. 40,000kms up and still running standard pipes etc. 95 octane non ethanol.

I've increased the size of the vent hole in the neck of mine, helps to squeeze that last litre in when touring. Looks a bit rough but I did it very slowly with a hand drill and lots of grease, thought that might be a better option than using an electric one.

Attachments

• eldo tank.jpg
    eldo tank.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 34
I've increased the size of the vent hole in the neck of mine, helps to squeeze that last litre in when touring. Looks a bit rough but I did it very slowly with a hand drill and lots of grease, thought that might be a better option than using an electric one.

Did it work?

Did it work?

It allows the air to escape easier from the top part of the tank once the fuel reaches the bottom of the neck so you can squeeze in an extra litre or so. I suppose some will say you shouldn't fill it hat much but sometimes especially in Oz that litre can be useful.

Back