• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Fractured clavicle healing

Rafael

GT Reference
Here's something I've learned from my little mishap last summer and I hope no one else needs it but here it is anyway.

1) A 'non dislocated fracture' doesn't mean it won't move after the x-ray.

2) ER Docs or step-down ward docs don't give orthopedic advice. They just want you to live and not come back because of a related complication, such as pneumonia.

3) Before your first follow up with an orthopedic doc, 3rd week after injury, you should mind your posture and sleep on a rolled up towel centered on your spine to help roll your shoulder back to keep the bone fracture aligned. By the 3rd week the bone start fusing and is in a 'taffy state'. This fracture tends to make you slump your shoulders forward to reduce the pain.

4) An offset bone will still function okay. Something like 85-90 % percent of non operated fractures heal just fine or good enough.

I think that a more closely aligned bone will allow a range of motion closer to before because the burl that develops might interfere with the mechanics A well aligned bone gets a burl too but has a better chance of smoothing out over time. I'm not there yet so I'll report back later. I'm almost able to hang from gymnastic rings now, it's sorta like a medieval torture. :sweating: :)

Happy New Year Y'all!

Ride safe!

Rafael, thanks for the post. Simple I'm now half full of plates, screws and titanium rods, I second your words.
Physical Therapy, while seemingly paid torture, is the key. I'm 95%+ these days because of it (knock wood).

Rafael, I had a similar experience with broken ribs (4 of them). They were in alignment, but the ER doc said nothing about how to sleep. First night when I tried to get out of bed, loud snap when they went out of alignment. From then on, stayed in a recliner to sleep. Didn't heal in line, but with ribs it doesn't much matter.

Ribs tend to heal pretty well....had 7 busted in late summer 2014 on the track. the clavicle is bit tougher.....mine was just fractured and didn't need surgery but still not 100% 5 months later (I am 53)....probably will need to go back to the ortho. Sleeping sitting up in a recliner or propped up in bed is the ticket early on. I did pick up a Helite airbag vest.......with any luck won't need to find out how well it works.

Get it screwed!
This was mine two years ago... and you're right, lots of physio. Don't accept anything less than hard work and pain in aiming to get 100% full movement back.
Busted Fixed

Agreed - hard work and pain. But, typically, at least in the US, Docs won't screw you back together unless the fracture is like yours, in multiple pieces. My orthopedic doc said that a plated clavicle allows you to get to PT sooner. The meaning of 'Dislocated' becomes clear with your pic.

When I get a little dissatisfied with my progress, I think back on the nights in the recliner. The first time I tried to get out of bed, it took me, what felt like 15 minutes, I had to use my wife to pull my self up. But it wasn't how you'd imagine. It looked like a weird game of Twister, with excessive vocalizations indicating PAIN.

Still using the gymnastics rings. Great tool. make the whole thing easinger. With weight on my feet I'm able to load my arms and stretch by bending my knees. Also do a circular motion, so I look like a slow vertical jump rope.

Took a bad fall during Aikido class. Broke clavicle but didn't know it. I didn't find out till a few years later when it showed up on an xray for an unrelated complaint.

Back