• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Centurion TPS reset problem with V7 classic

ds99

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
ok, I've emailed Todd about this, but I thought I would post on here to see if anyone has this problem, or anything similar

The bike is a 2011 V7 classic, here in the UK.

Todd did a re-flash on the ECU, that seemed to improve the low-revs power delivery, made it smoother under 3,000 RPM.

I bought the Centurion software in order to reset the TPS

Firstly, on the V7 you have to choose "install older versions" in order for the software to work. After some time on the phone to technoresearch I got the software working.

The problem is the TPS reset does not work. The TPS figure reads 3.0, I do the reset, and it count downs from 10, it hangs at 1 for a few seconds, then says "ECU not responding", with "FAIL" at the bottom. I tried it a few times, tried resetting the computer etc.

Then I discover than if I advance the throttle slightly (using the 'choke' lever on the left hand side of the handlebars) so the TPS reads 4.2 then the TPS reset works fine.

Has anyone else had this problem? Or anything similar?

Last edited:
If your bike is using the 15RC ECU you need to be looking at the channel Alphalin_0. Use the pull downs to change TPS to Alphalin_0. The TPS reading won't change if you look at "TPS"

i am not corncered about the TPS number, the problem is the TPS reset procedure keeps failing unless I do it with the throttle slightly open.

Try reading it with a voltmeter instead. Perhaps the TPS has a dirty spot right where the idle setting is. This should show up on the voltmeter. Contact cleaner may help.

err, where exactly do i put the voltmeter?

do i put it on the throttle sensor? if so, where is that?

Across the TPS itself. There are three wires, one is +5v, one 0v (chassis) and the other is the variable voltage produced by the wiper position. If you can't identify which is which from the colour code and a wiring diagram, just try any two until you see the voltage changing.

I use sewing needles slipped down beside the wires as they enters the TPS itself to gain contact to these wires without removing any insulation. Others read the voltage where they connect to the ECU, but my clumsy fingers may cause damage if I start rooting around in this area.

Before you go through all of that, does the Cent-S show a steady increase in degrees starting from idle? If so, also check the fault codes on the ECU with Centurion. If it shows no errors, it's not an issue.

Before you go through all of that, does the Cent-S show a steady increase in degrees starting from idle? If so, also check the fault codes on the ECU with Centurion. If it shows no errors, it's not an issue.

That's why I'm suggesting the voltmeter, Todd. It seems that the Centurion is getting upset at the idle setting of the TPS, and might not give a reliable indication. The voltmeter should not be affected by this.

Just my $0.02c.

Dave, understood, but Centurion should flag a faulty reading at idle if that's the case.

I will check the software for any fault codes tomorrow

can someone tell me where exactly the TPS is, in case i need to check the voltage?

Just thinking aloud, can the TPS be reset with Centurion with this model? I ask because I found with the California Vintage with a IAW15RC ECU, Centurion will read the value but the reset has to be done manually by rotating the TPS after loosening its retaining screws.

Perhaps a 2001 V7 classic is the same? I thought the Breva 1100 in 2005 was the first bike that the TPS could be reset electronically.

I'm sure someone will tell me if I'm wrong!

TPS is on the top of the left side throttle body.

sorry all, typing error. it's a 2011 model V7

I am going to try setting the software to display the Alphalin_0 value when doing the TPS reset and see of that makes the reset procedure not result in a "FAIL".

Just thinking aloud, can the TPS be reset with Centurion with this model? I ask because I found with the California Vintage with a IAW15RC ECU, Centurion will read the value but the reset has to be done manually by rotating the TPS after loosening its retaining screws.

Perhaps a 2001 V7 classic is the same? I thought the Breva 1100 in 2005 was the first bike that the TPS could be reset electronically.

I'm sure someone will tell me if I'm wrong!

On the 750s, the TPS is fixed and cannot be moved.

ok, here's an update.

I open and closed the throttle when the engine was off, the TPS responded normally, no lags, or skips

I configured Centurion so that it displays Alfalin_0 - tried the TPS reset - it would still give me a "FAIL" until I opened the throttle very slightly, then I would get a "PASS"

Here are some screenshots. I've no idea where to go from here.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

ENGINE OFF - THROTTLE CLOSED:

Off throttle closed

ENGINE OFF - THROTTLE HALF OPEN:

Off throttle half

ENGINE OFF - THROTTLE FULLY OPEN:

Off throttle full

ENGINE RUNNING AT IDLE:

Idle

ENGINE RUNNING, THROTTLE INCREASED TO APPROX 3,600 RPM:

Idle 3600 rpm

Back