• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Cal1400 7 months in..

mgmike

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Hello a few thoughts
on my Cali...
1st Moto Guzzi QC while may be better still needs to step up to another level.
a. pipes crack
b. fueling sucks
c. hard starting after warm
d. fender and gage issues.

2nd..The good stuff!!
a. Fantastic Motor
b. Great handling (for size bike)
c. suspension is Ok for my light weight 145 lbs
d. Warranty handled relatively quickly.
e. Brakes and electronics...very good and cool stuff.

3rd.
Aftermarket..
a. love my exhaust..Thanks Todd
b. MG mini windshield looks nice.
c. Soon refueling mods.....will post on results

4th
Overall
A. LOVE the BIKE..the more I ride it the move I enjoy.
B. I guess that's the bottom line..despite initial issues...

20141219 170604

After one year of ownership (9,500 miles) of the Touring model:
a. Pipes didn't crack (yet)
b. Fueling is off and lousy mileage. Need to save up for reflash and maybe pipes to go with it.
c. No starting problems on mine
d, motor is great
e. suspension is lousy, bouncing on any bump in turns. New suspension is on but weather keeping me off the road
f. Warranty issues handled slowly and only after I contacted the company myself via email was there any movement after over 2 months.
g. Front brake rotors warped by about 0.011". They finally ok'd the warranty but waiting on new rotors.
h. The 50L trunk handle latch failed 4 months after install. I did not contact them till 6 months as I figured it just needed lubed at first. Still awaiting a decision.
i. Water spots on the headlight reflector. The tail light water others have had has not been a problem.
j. MG saved a few pennies by not using any grease when installing my rear wheel. So I had to beat it off the bike for the first tire change.

Overall:
I still like the bike. I would probably buy it over again. I never owned a cruiser style before and the floor boards and I have still not come to terms but the bike is very comfortable on a trip. The ABS and traction control gives confidence while riding in crappy rainy conditions and changing road conditions. Tire life is horrible but that is not 100% the bike's fault. The second replacement set is on it now (Dunlop original, Metzlers now Avon). Can't wait to try it with real shocks and new fork springs. Finances did not allow for the whole cartridge kit this winter. Once again, this is like a standard upgrade on almost any new bike. I bought a 2010 BMW R1200GS and the rear shock was as bad or worse.
The bike is comfy 2-up. Rain mode has about the same power as my PC800. A larger fuel tank for the thirsty engine would be a plus.

I purchased one of the first Cali 1400 Customs in the USA, I believe (May 05, 2013).

My pipes broke at the crossover (and cracked on the other side). Brazed them up whilst awaiting warranty replacement which was honored. No issues with the new ones so far.

Fuel is great for me. I'm getting over over 50 mpg (UK), or 43 mpg (US) or 5.5 litres/100k on a trip. Better than I get on a 2v 1200 Sport. Strangely, the fuel consumption improves with (reasonable) active use of the throttle. Haven't been able to work that one out yet.

No starting problems for me, and I love that motor.

I have no issues with the suspension either. I reduced the preload on the rear, as it seemed to transfer small bumps on the road directly through, and the problem went away. No slouch in corners, I've managed to grind the hero pegs off after removing the plastic sliders under the floorboards. Being a little gentler on the second set of hero pegs.

Brakes are good and predictable for such a heavy bike. Not sure about the traction control; I set it to the minimum intervention, but get frustrated on gravel roads when it all but cuts the motor out. Must remember to switch it off on gravel.

My headlight gets water marks and insects inside. Used a business card to wipe clean.

Tried the full windscreen as on the Touring, but hated it. Small fly screen works just fine. Installed the Guzzi rear luggage rack (after waiting 3 months) and H&B C-bow mounts and panniers when required.

Frustrated with lack of storage under the seat, but can understand why it was designed that way.

Wheels are the best lookers ever! (but a pain to keep clean).

Would I buy another? In a heartbeat!

For me, it all comes down to this. After 56 years of owning motorcycles – British, American, German, Japanese and Italian including so many Moto Guzzis I lost count – the California 1400 is the most satisfying bike I ever owned.

It handles like a Griso and has more torque than anyone can use. And, in Touring trim, Sharon says it rivals our Gold Wing as a long distance traveler. Exceptional brakes too.

I have not had any of the issues many of you experienced. Well, except for the loose heat shield (promptly rectified by the dealer).

Advice from jbhotchkiss on this forum helped me set the suspension just right. Corners like a Griso, rides like a Wing.

Initially I hated the Touring windscreen, but adding factory accessory lowers eliminated the buffeting experienced without them.

What’s not to like? I wish the gas mileage was better, or that the gas tank was bigger. I wish the gear position indicator was larger and the instrument glass was non-reflective. I wish the cruise control had a simple resume feature. I wish Moto Guzzi had produced the accessory heated seat listed in the original product announcement.

That’s about it!

I also would have the heated seat if they made it. As for you liking the suspension remember the Custom has the better shocks with remote reservoirs.

Hello a few thoughts
on my Cali...
1st Moto Guzzi QC while may be better still needs to step up to another level.
a. pipes crack
b. fueling sucks
c. hard starting after warm
d. fender and gage issues.

2nd..The good stuff!!
a. Fantastic Motor
b. Great handling (for size bike)
c. suspension is Ok for my light weight 145 lbs
d. Warranty handled relatively quickly.
e. Brakes and electronics...very good and cool stuff.

3rd.
Aftermarket..
a. love my exhaust..Thanks Todd
b. MG mini windshield looks nice.
c. Soon refueling mods.....will post on results

4th
Overall
A. LOVE the BIKE..the more I ride it the move I enjoy.
B. I guess that's the bottom line..despite initial issues...

View attachment 7855

MG you will love the fueling mods, the pull from idel is clean and precise backed by intoxicating power over the whole power band.

In relation to a few comments above....esp longrider's...

When you say you modded a Custom to Touring specs - does that include the standard Guzzi Panniers etc (that look good on the bike) or aftermarket jobbies. I'd be interested in seeing a pic of your bike mate.

...When you say you modded a Custom to Touring specs - does that include the standard Guzzi Panniers etc (that look good on the bike) or aftermarket jobbies. I'd be interested in seeing a pic of your bike mate.
Yes, factory panniers and top case plus all the other factory Touring stuff except the handlebars. Here's a picture (see this forum's 1400 picture thread for more).

Thanks - did that work out cheaper than buying a Touring in the first place (and then just changing the bars)?
No problems fitting the panniers and retaining the remote reservoir shock that the Custom comes with?

Thanks - did that work out cheaper than buying a Touring in the first place (and then just changing the bars)?
No problems fitting the panniers and retaining the remote reservoir shock that the Custom comes with?

The Custom plus all Touring equipment was about the same as simply buying a Touring. And I installed everything myself. Had I paid dealer labor rates, I would have spent a lot more.

So why bother? I prefer the Custom’s remote reservoir shocks and mercury gray paint. I also prefer the Custom’s lower handle bars. (Actually, I installed accessory black chrome bars – same bend as Touring bars – and discovered that I was more comfortable with Custom bars. Sold the black chrome bars on eBay.)

If you’re thinking about doing this conversion, here are a couple of things to know:

It is widely believed, but NOT true, that the Custom’s remote reservoirs interfere with installation of factory saddlebags (panniers);

Another myth is that installing Touring bars requires new clutch, brake and throttle lines. Clutch and brake are no problem and the throttle cable can be rerouted above the triple clamp;

The saddlebags and top case are available in mercury gray, but that color code (last digit of the part number being 3) sometimes temporarily disappears from the dealer ordering system; and,

Factory installation instructions don’t tell you certain things that you will encounter. For example, the factory windscreen comes with a bottom bracket that is not needed if you also install factory driving lights. Similarly, a couple of the saddlebag brackets are replaced by other brackets that come with the saddlebag guards. If you want the rear luggage rack, install it first (before the saddlebags) or you’ll have to remove part of what you just installed.

I can post specific installation tips if you decide to proceed.

So why bother? I prefer the Custom’s remote reservoir shocks and mercury gray paint. I also prefer the Custom’s lower handle bars. (Actually, I installed accessory black chrome bars – same bend as Touring bars – and discovered that I was more comfortable with Custom bars. Sold the black chrome bars on eBay.)

Where. I searched but could not find them..........

The bars sold minutes after I listed on eBay. Sorry.

No worries, I can buy from MG if needed. I just got excited at the opportunity of maybe getting a set to hold IF I wanted to try them.

I really need to get some miles with the Custom handlebars first though. I may find, like you, that they fit me well and there will be no need to look anywhere else.

Wow most everyone's on the same page on most issues - at 3,000 mi om my Custom my feed back is.
- I installed the barn door touring windscreen and lowers and it's an improvement but I still get buffeting above 70 coming from under the windscreen and over the tank and cylinders. May try the Givi.
- I had a racing throttle with clutch in and in neutral a few times at altatude (8,000 ft). Just gut a ECU reflash that I hope corrects this. Otherwise no fueling issues
- ditto on instrument cluster improvements: anti glare glas and bigger gear indicator
- I came from 6 BMWs, all lighter. I wish it weighed 600 instead of 700 lbs.
- Great breaks
- Clunky gear box. Finding neutral from a stop is a hunt and peck operation. An occasional false nutral.
- I don't like the stock Doglaps. Can't wait to replace them which won't be much longer.
- I replaced the stock handlebars with the Touring and like them much better - no more pain between my shoulder blades.
- Wonderful motor, torque everywhere!
- Handlings is ok. It gets overwhelmed in bumpy corners which is all of Arizona as the State steals all they hwy funds to pay for prisons. Need to tweak the suspension.
- for such a big bike I can't understand why they couldn't find room under the seat for a storage compartment
- and the tool kit is a joke.
- it's a bargin!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 38
Corbin now offers a seat with a heated option!

For me, it all comes down to this. After 56 years of owning motorcycles – British, American, German, Japanese and Italian including so many Moto Guzzis I lost count – the California 1400 is the most satisfying bike I ever owned.

It handles like a Griso and has more torque than anyone can use. And, in Touring trim, Sharon says it rivals our Gold Wing as a long distance traveler. Exceptional brakes too.

I have not had any of the issues many of you experienced. Well, except for the loose heat shield (promptly rectified by the dealer).

Advice from jbhotchkiss on this forum helped me set the suspension just right. Corners like a Griso, rides like a Wing.

Initially I hated the Touring windscreen, but adding factory accessory lowers eliminated the buffeting experienced without them.

What’s not to like? I wish the gas mileage was better, or that the gas tank was bigger. I wish the gear position indicator was larger and the instrument glass was non-reflective. I wish the cruise control had a simple resume feature. I wish Moto Guzzi had produced the accessory heated seat listed in the original product announcement.

That’s about it!

I was very hesitant on buying a Moto guzzi having had over 50 different bike's and not ever having to take any of them in for warranty work I will be taking my new california custom with 200 miles in for a oil leak that seem's to be coming from the stainless hose coming from the oil cooler to the block or the front edge of the oil pan let's hope this is not the start of more issues

I was very hesitant on buying a Moto guzzi having had over 50 different bike's and not ever having to take any of them in for warranty work I will be taking my new california custom with 200 miles in for a oil leak that seem's to be coming from the stainless hose coming from the oil cooler to the block or the front edge of the oil pan let's hope this is not the start of more issues

Same issue on mine. 150 miles and noticed oil on left side by cylinder. I'm going to call AF1 today about it. Have you resolved the issue.

Back