• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Using the oil pan to jack the V7

timothy st.john

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Hi everyone,

It has been casually suggested to me that the oil pan on the V7 is structurally strong enough to support the V7. As I have never removed the pan, I haven't had a chance to evaluate its construction.

I don't know if the kind individual who replied previously (I've forgotten who it was) meant to imply that it was 'okay', as in the case of an emergency, or whether it was completely suitable and sound.

I have nowhere to store a resource of specialized equipment in my parking garage, so I have to get creative about my means and methods of servicing this bike.

Timothy St. John

I've raised the bike by the oil pan, using a block of wood to distribute the weight.

I didn't like doing it. Not at all. It went well, but I felt like I narrowly avoided problems.
I ended up getting a centerstand, and it's a much better fix.

Thanks for posting!

Yeah, that's my gut feeling too. But I wonder if thats just the ancient voice of my father in my head chastising the juvenile me for pursuing short-cuts instead of doing the job properly.

Given the lack of jack points, I would think a capable designer might have anticipated the value in casting a pan with just this convenience in mind. On the other hand, it is Italian, as opposed to Japanese.

Lets see what else is offered here. Maybe none of us need to fear for this practice. I'll see what the factory has to say.

Timothy St. John

All Guzzis have been lifted by their pans from as far back as I can remember. The motor/trans are the bulk of the weight, and the frame is bolted to it, so without running calculations on why it would be OK, I'd say you are more then safe. I too use a block of wood to soften and distribute the load.

There was person on Wildgoose who had a machinist friend design and build a workshop stand that lifted the bike by the frame cross member wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=56037.0
There have been other designs that correctly lift the Guzzi using this same cross member and an adapter that fits a standard Sears hydraulic lift. One nice design was the Dunwell adapter wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=44352.msg663367#msg663367

Thanks for posting! I'm now resolved to designing a compact, stable, easy-lift system for the V7 that automatically centres itself and distributes the weight evenly over the pan. I'll post the design when I've finished drawing it up to get additional feedback.

Pitbull makes a stand for the V7R, which I suspect would work on any of the modern V7 variants.

https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/pitbull-v7-rear-stand/

Having said that, I just use a lift under the pan with a block of wood, like everyone else.

I wouldn't count on the Putbull stand working on other recent V7 models. The manufacturer makes no such claims and wouldn't guarantee that it will. The exhaust pipes might be closer together than on the Racer. Also, I've read postings complaining that if the Pitbull lift isn't positioned exactly correctly, it can mangle the side stand hardware.

Last fall I purchased a scissors jack for my '13 V7 Stone on ebay About $55 shipped:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/13097265994...iewitem=&sspagename=ADME:L:OC:US:3160&vxp=mtr
The jack has two adjustable nonscratch-coated supports that beautifully fit against the rear engine cradle cross member. The lift has been keeping the rear wheel off the floor all winter (I use a wheel chuck for the front wheel), so far, so good.

Also, I've read postings complaining that if the Pitbull lift isn't positioned exactly correctly, it can mangle the side stand hardware.... Last fall I purchased a scissors jack for my '13 V7 Stone
Much like all other stands, carefully watching everything for the first few times you use it is mandatory. PitBull is one of the best in the Industry, so I'm sure with a little care/attention, it would work very well.
For the record, nearly all times I use my motorcycle lift/front wheel vice and scissor jack like linked above. In a pinch, I use my Condor front wheel chock, and scissor jack for floor service. Super stable for sure.

I wouldn't count on the Putbull stand working on other recent V7 models. The manufacturer makes no such claims and wouldn't guarantee that it will. The exhaust pipes might be closer together than on the Racer. Also, I've read postings complaining that if the Pitbull lift isn't positioned exactly correctly, it can mangle the side stand hardware.

Last fall I purchased a scissors jack for my '13 V7 Stone on ebay About $55 shipped:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/13097265994...iewitem=&sspagename=ADME:L:OC:US:3160&vxp=mtr
The jack has two adjustable nonscratch-coated supports that beautifully fit against the rear engine cradle cross member. The lift has been keeping the rear wheel off the floor all winter (I use a wheel chuck for the front wheel), so far, so good.

How do you get this under the bike without the kickstand getting in the way? With the adjustable arms centered I can’t get it under the bike without hitting the kickstand. I tried sliding the adjustable arms all the way to the far side of the lift but then the non-centered weight causes the jack to sag to the side.

Back