• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

I say burn the thing!

Jacob

Just got it firing!
Any suggestions why my '12 Stelvio won't idle cold and lately hot either? Valves are set 0.15 and 0.2
Tb's are balanced and Tps reset.
I regret buying this piece of crap.

Any suggestions why my '12 Stelvio won't idle cold and lately hot either? Valves are set 0.15 and 0.2
Oh, I also have the error light on but no errors listed. I just love my heap of metal and plastic..

Dit you read the error codes?

If you think its crap, go buy a GS....:lipssealed:
Stelvio's are great, just like womans, some have an aditude...

Did you do anything else on your bike?
Chek the actual data and see if something wrong, ( sparkplug/ boot?)

Did the idle get worse bit by bit, or just once?
Maby your idle stepper get stuck, or dirt in it, vacuumhose leak.
Check your sparkplugs, and coil wires.

I am guessing the bike is not happy about this either. It would probably prefer that someone took good care of it.
You also might not want to start out posting by saying stupid things.
Perhaps some more info on your situation would help.
How old is the bike?
Did you buy it new or used?
Did it used to work fine?
What may have changed to cause it to run poorly?
Has anyone messed with it?
Do you know what the "sacred screw" is?
Has the SS been fiddled with?
How old is the gas?
When you say 0.15 and 0.2, I assume you mean millimeters?

First you need to take a deep breath and relax a little. It is most likely a simple thing. When you break it down it is not an overly complicated bike a very reliable once the bugs are worked out.

When you say won't idle, is that idles rough, or stalls?

When you increase the RPMs does the problem go away. Could be the stepper motor, but more likely the sparkplug boots are shorting out. Know problem. Pull the boot and look for white marks and possibly a hole. If so, replace them with NGK boots. Do a search and you will find them. If this is the problem, you can wrap some electrical tape on it to see if the problem goes away.

As for the error light, which errors did you look for on the menu. There are both ECU errors and Dash Errors. On the Dashboard errors are they any Memo's or actives.

You said you balanced the TB. What software did you use. If you used Centurion, you should be able to access any errors. Also, check the status of the O2 sensors. A fouled sensor can cause the same problem. Centurion will check this for you.

Did you happen to try and change the maps with Guzzidiag. Have seen that go wrong and cause issues.

Can also try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and try again to see what happens. Have seen the ECU hickup before and a reboot cleans it up.

Engine runs fine anywhere over idle. Some popping and light backfiring on deceleration. Fuel is good and new. Valves are meticulously set. No errors show on system, dash or otherwise. Throttle balance done on 3000 rpm. Sacred screw is still sacred. Engine will idle at some traffic light stops whilst suddenly stalling at the next. 2012 model bought new in 2014. No tampering or changing of mapping ever done. Checked stepper tubing, all looks good. Cold the lady refuses to purr. Initially had coil earth error. Cleaned all ground connections and applied some dielectric grease. Using centurion diagnostic. 5900km on clock.

Stupid question and not being sarcastic, did you scroll to the other pages on the ECU and Dash errors. If there are no errors, did you try to delete the errors on the dash. If the light is still on, disconnect the battery and see what happens.

What did you do to fix the coil earth error. The plug to the coil does have a habit of coming off or being loose. I have tie wrapped mine in place so it does not move.

O2 sensors can account for your problem. The bike only uses them at idle and off idle. Once you increase the RPM's significantly it goes into open circuit and bypasses the sensors. Centurion has a Lambda probe output. Is it stable for both probes? Don't remember what the voltage reading should be off hand, but if it is idling rough and it is the O2 sensor it would look obvious. Also double check those spark plug boots. WIth only 5900km on the bike I would not think this to be the problem but have seen it before.

T
Stupid question and not being sarcastic, did you scroll to the other pages on the ECU and Dash errors. If there are no errors, did you try to delete the errors on the dash. If the light is still on, disconnect the battery and see what happens.

What did you do to fix the coil earth error. The plug to the coil does have a habit of coming off or being loose. I have tie wrapped mine in place so it does not move.

O2 sensors can account for your problem. The bike only uses them at idle and off idle. Once you increase the RPM's significantly it goes into open circuit and bypasses the sensors. Centurion has a Lambda probe output. Is it stable for both probes? Don't remember what the voltage reading should be off hand, but if it is idling rough and it is the O2 sensor it would look obvious. Also double check those spark plug boots. WIth only 5900km on the bike I would not think this to be the problem but have seen it before.
Thanks Canuck I'll go over everything once the dark disappears this side. I'm maybe not the guru of tuning but have enough experience to not be clueless. I'll retrace my steps and the system in total. Somewhere something ain't happy. I've owned heaps of bikes and this one is taking up too much of my time or so it seems. Try and try again I suppose.

Hi Jacob, I had an o2 sensor go down on mine which gave a similar issue to your description and was a pain to track down as it came and went when it pleased in the end I ran it with the sensors disconnected, the problem went away and the bike ran the best it had ever run, replaced both sensor and no more problem, this can cause cat failure if you are running standard exhaust.

Hi Jacob, I had an o2 sensor go down on mine which gave a similar issue to your description and was a pain to track down as it came and went when it pleased in the end I ran it with the sensors disconnected, the problem went away and the bike ran the best it had ever run, replaced both sensor and no more problem, this can cause cat failure if you are running standard exhaust.
Thanks mrcanns, will check that too.

As already stated/implied, if you can get it to the dealer and/or purchase the diagnostic software; https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/tr-centurion-diagnostics/ -- you will uncover what is wrong. Likely the bike is trying to tell you. Another issue might be a clogged injector if the bike has sat at all, and in the Service Manual, it is strongly recommended to remove and clean the throttle bodies, which is almost NEVER done. If you can't find it in the simple things, you may have to spend a little more money and dig a little deeper... as the bike is nearly 3 years old. Nothing is perfect, easy, cheap or free in the world of two wheels, or make that any where. ;)

My Breva would hunt and stall when coming to a stop, I read a guzzi bulletin and cleaned the throttle bodies. It fixed the problem, I have since re routed the engine breather, instead of going into the top of the air box and depositing oil mist into the air box and the throttle bodies, it now goes into a separate small sealed container under the seat which I clean out every 10,000Kms. 50,000Kms happy motoring.

I would first change the sparkplugs.
Check the sparkplugboot, you can spray some water over it while its running, if its getting worse you have a isolation problem, some sparkplugboots are known for that.

Throttle body should be clean whit only 5900 km. But it doesnt hurt to chek ;)
If you have one O2 sensor, chek the wiring route, it may rub against the center stand.
Does it run wel for a short time after you reset the ecu?

Good luck, and keep us posted.

My Breva would hunt and stall when coming to a stop, I read a guzzi bulletin and cleaned the throttle bodies. It fixed the problem, I have since re routed the engine breather, instead of going into the top of the air box and depositing oil mist into the air box and the throttle bodies, it now goes into a separate small sealed container under the seat which I clean out every 10,000Kms. 50,000Kms happy motoring.
Why does oil mist in the throttle body cause idle problems Kevin?
Alan NZ

Back