• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Shifting Problems on 2012 Norge

roofus

Tuned and Synch'ed
I have some shifting issues on my 2012 Norge. The bike is new this spring with approx 2,000 miles on it. I have some shifting issues:

1. Down-shifting from 2nd to first and back up is very easy if moving slowly in urban areas, parking lots side streets etc.

2. However, it is very difficult to downshift into 1st when coming from the higher gears. For example when I come to a stop street on a highway after driving for some time at 55-60mpg, I generally cannot get the bike to go into 1st even when blipping the throttle and going down 1 gear at a time. The bike almost always is stuck in 2nd. The engine has lots of torque so taking off in 2nd is not a problem if I slip the clutch and rev the engine a bit higher than I would in 1st. If I take off in 2nd, and go a short distance I can then downshift into 1st fairly easily.

3. Sometimes Neutral is hard to find at a red light or stop sign.

4. Sometimes when the bike is in neutral, the green light does not illuminate, or it flickers.

5. I thought this problem would improve as the bike broke in but it hasn't changed.

Any thoughts or recommendations appreciated. :?:

my first thought is that the gear lever might be touching or adjusted incorrectly.
maybe oil? has the bike always been this way.
also is the clutch dragging? is the clutch free play ok

regards VIncenzo

Maybe I am setting off a wild rabbit here, but it sounds like either a badly adjusted clutch or the wrong oil in the gearbox. True, as others have said, the gear linkages may be not quite setup properly and would be the first place to look. This is easy as you need to remove the gearchange lever and rotate clock wise (looking at the lever) one notch.

What oil went into the gearbox? Did any oil go in? Did you check the oil level?

Drain and refill the gear & CARC boxes with Redline Shockproof Gear Oil. You should see an improvement. Otherwise rack up some miles and get things bedded-in. I'm close to 24K miles on my gearbox and shifting is excellent; finding neutral is never an issue. I'm also chasing an intermittent fault in the gear neutral safety switch and even removed the fuel tank and airbox to sort it out. Never found the switch, but the problem has gone away mysteriously for now. The gear neutral indicator is only a real issue with the sidestand down anyway, doesn't otherwise affect rideability (at least if you can find neutral by foot feel). Good luck!

My stelvio did all those things for a bit when I first got it. Got better after the first service and was completely gone by 2000 km or so. I still do on occasion when I get lazy on the shift get a netural light going off when I shift to 1st but still in netural.

Also make sure that your shifter is returning to the neutral position before shifting down again. Take you foot completely off the shifter and try again. If that works, need to adjust your shifter.

I hope that is the solution. My wife's 2009 Norge acted in a similar way. She couldn't get it to downshift past third. I rode the bike and accidentally found that if I tapped the shift lever in with my foot, it would shift. I would have to tap it every time I wanted to downshift in the bottom 3 gears. Up shifting wasn't a problem. Since the bike was under warranty (brand new at the time) we took it to a dealer. He "fixed" it and we were told the gearbox was replaced. Now she has a recurring problem where neither she or I can get the bike into neutral while the engine is running. It works when the motor is off. We've had it to a mechanic (not a guzzi mechanic) who did help it somewhat by adjusting linkages but overall she has just learned to live with it.
I'd be ecstatic if it were as simple as changing the oil

I know this is an old thread but ....

The flickering neutral light is likely just a loose connection of the wire to the neutral witch. It's hard to access but, if you can get something to it and make just the connector is affixed good, your problem will likely be fixed.

the dealer fixed it . . . i forgot to ask what he did but I suspect it was what leafman60 said

also worth checking the clutch master cylinder detent pin - if this is loose could also be a suspect. NOt required for this particular post but worth knowing anyway.

Back