• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Spark Plug replacement frequency

AlanNZ

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Do others religiously change their stock plugs at 10,000 km (6,000 miles)? I have been - but they always look good and are performing well when I change them. I'm wondering if I should stretch replacement intervals out?
The Stelvio plugs (standard NGKs) are a bit more expensive than my other Guzzis.
Alan NZ

I would recommend inspecting the plugs at that interval. Check the gap then adjust if necessary. I've run plugs over 40 K miles with no issues.

On my Griso 1100 there are two different plugs. The outer plugs are a normal plug and I change them at normal plug intervals, I go more than 6,000 miles but if you want to throw plugs at it you can. The inner plugs are high dollar platinum plugs and they should be good for a very long time, perhaps you may never need to change them. I still change them, but I did not change the inner plugs until around 50,000 miles. That was probably too soon but I had things apart and figured while I was in there.....

On the '00-05 bikes using the 15M ECU, recommended plug replacement was every 3k miles. The bikes idled better and had better throttle response with new plugs at that interval, no matter what they visually looked like.
The newer bikes seem to do a great deal better, so I usually replace them at either 6 or 10k depending on your chosen service intervals; Mine are every 5k miles, so I change them every other or every 10k miles. The 8V's have an extended life plug, so I'll probably stick to the recommended service interval. Also worthy of note, I spoke with NGK this week, and they said they strongly do not recommend any other of their plugs in place of the PMR8B on the 8V.

......The 8V's have an extended life plug, so I'll probably stick to the recommended service interval. Also worthy of note, I spoke with NGK this week, and they said they strongly do not recommend any other of their plugs in place of the PMR8B on the 8V.
I have been using NGK CR8EKB in my '13 NTX which is what is quoted in the manual. Is the PMR8B a replacement for this plug?
Regards
Alan NZ

THe CR8EKB is the recommended plug (Stock) for the MY11+ NTX (ie. newer model). The PMR8B is was the stock plug on the older NTX's. The CR8 is a dual electrode plug so it cannot be gapped (at least not accurately). The PMR8B is a single electrode plug. I change mine every 10K Km. They are not that expensive, at least not here.

I changed the ones in my 09 at around 23,000 miles. I am around 46,000 miles now. The plugs looked great on the first change and likely could do a lot more miles.
I of course inspect and gap them if needed at every valve adjustment/inspection, which I do around 10,000 miles.

My older 2 valve Californias I would inspect and often change at the valve adjustment, also near the 10,000 mile mark.

BUT, I had forgotten to change them out once on my hydraulic lifter EV. I had about 30,000 miles on the plugs when I notice the bike was getting hard to start. It turns out that the electrode was a good bit eroded.

Of course the unobtainium metals used in the Stelvio spark plug SHOULD last a good bit longer than 30,000 miles.

On the '00-05 bikes using the 15M ECU, recommended plug replacement was every 3k miles. The bikes idled better and had better throttle response with new plugs at that interval, no matter what they visually looked like.
The newer bikes seem to do a great deal better, so I usually replace them at either 6 or 10k depending on your chosen service intervals; Mine are every 5k miles, so I change them every other or every 10k miles. The 8V's have an extended life plug, so I'll probably stick to the recommended service interval. Also worthy of note, I spoke with NGK this week, and they said they strongly do not recommend any other of their plugs in place of the PMR8B on the 8V.
Todd. The workshop manual for the later Stelvio states the plugs are long life but it also states replace them at 10,000 km. The owners handbook states the same. 10,000 km replacement does not seem to be long life to me? I wonder what NGK recommend?
Regards
Alan NZ

I have been using NGK CR8EKB in my '13 NTX which is what is quoted in the manual. Is the PMR8B a replacement for this plug?
Regards
Alan NZ

I went to cycle gear for new plugs for my 13 Stelvio and was told the NGK CR8EK without the B at the end was they carried and that it was the same..I bought them and compared and they them to my stock plugs and see no difference. any ideas what the B stands for?

I thought the only difference was the screw on connector on top vs a fixed connector?
Alan NZ

I had no idea and neither did the cycle gear guy but that makes sense, luckily I had some new NGK plugs from my dirtbike that had the tops and was able to use them for my Guzzi. Am I right to assume these come pre gapped?

A bad plug can sneak up on you!

I've outlined this earlier on this website.

At about 20,000 miles, my Stelvio developed an annoying stumble at about 3000 rpm when the engine was under labor. I checked everything- valve lash, fueling, throttle synch, you name it. I had looked at the spark plugs and they looked like new. Steve had left Riders Hill but Ian checked it out and found nothing.

As a last ditch effort, I replaced the spark plugs and the problem was immediately cleared up! Despite looking fine, there must have been a problem internal to one of the original plugs.

A bad plug can sneak up on you!

I've outlined this earlier on this website.

At about 20,000 miles, my Stelvio developed an annoying stumble at about 3000 rpm when the engine was under labor. I checked everything- valve lash, fueling, throttle synch, you name it. I had looked at the spark plugs and they looked like new. Steve had left Riders Hill but Ian checked it out and found nothing.

As a last ditch effort, I replaced the spark plugs and the problem was immediately cleared up! Despite looking fine, there must have been a problem internal to one of the original plugs.
We're the plugs 20,000 miles old when it happened? That's much more than the recommended 6,000 miles replacement in the manual -which seems excessive to me.

We're the plugs 20,000 miles old when it happened? That's much more than the recommended 6,000 miles replacement in the manual -which seems excessive to me.

Yes, yes but I thought I knew better than the manual! lol

That's my point.

I still can't imagine modern spark plugs having to be changed every 6000 miles. The plugs in automobiles often go for 100,000 miles, plus.

I think I just had a defective plug.

For what it's worth, I sold my spark plug cleaner.
I used to do frequent "plug chops" on vintage stuff just to check the mixture.
Plugs are cheap enough that it's not worth the effort cleaning them, and the possibility for abrasive residue was too great.

Leafman, perhaps with a two cyl cycle a weak plug is more noticeable. You might have one weak plug in a 4-6-8 cyl auto and never notice. I recently had the plugs changed in my 6 cyl sedan. Didn't notice a change, but I felt better. I asked for the old plugs back (they had 60k) and actually they looked fine.

So...I've got no answers.

Back