• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Save the Racers Tail

Hi everyone,

I owe the stylists at Guzzi an apology. I've just come to realize that the number plates on the the very first iteration of the V7 Racer actually 'were' white. If you've read through this thread, you know that I faulted them for the black number plates (don't even get me started on the silvered ones), because aesthetically they added too much mass to the back of the bike that already has a very large black fender and black rims. As you know, I made mine white to solve the problem

Actually, as I look purposefully at this bikes evolution, or rather, stylistic de-evolution, all balance (in the formal sense of aesthetics) has been progressively abandoned in aid of pretending improvement when none was really forthcoming. Now, with the type II, and its technical upgrades, improvement is an actuality (at least on paper). The new style packages are also quite interesting; especially the military khaki version with the leather bags.

So now I find must condemn the stylists for abandoning their aesthetic ethics. To fail your vocational expertise, just to distract the public from being frustrated by the companies failure to invest mechanical and technical upgrades in their styling adventure sooner, is...unprofessional; though not uncommon. Restauranteurs change their menus to the same end, and disrespect their clients enthusiasm for something that works. Most restaurants close within two years of opening.

Timothy St. John

I imagine the stylists were frustrated having to compromise as well. Still, in all, the bike strikes a good balance....I suppose the pretended improvement is simply a business model for today. One that works at the expense of perfection...

Enjoyed reading this thread having a 2011 V7R. My only modification so far was to change the mirrors with bar end Rizoma's. With much chatter in the past I looked at removing the rear cowl, but you know what, I like it. I had the "opportunity" to change a few parts recently after having to put it down, taking out one of the exhaust pipes, but you know what, I like them too and replaced them with stock.

Hello,

I love the cowl, and I like the shape of the stock cans the best too, I just wasn't convinced that I could live with the soprano squawk of Guzzi engine clatter, without the capable accompaniment of an authoritative baritone exhaust note. Who knows, after I've ridden this bike, I may find that I prefer the music the stock cans make while I'm in the saddle over the Zard Racing slip-ons; which I'm sure will sound better from a spectators perspective.

I bought the Zards because I'd heard the Agostini, Mistral, and Arrow's and not very impressed. On the other hand, what few sound bites I found of the Zard's seem to offer more promise. We'll see. As much as I recongnize a certain responsibility to the general public to excite (or irritate, depending on their politics) their curiosity and enthusiasm as I ride by, the sound in the saddle is the music I will be riding to. If I have to chose between one or the other, I'll chose...well, we'll see.

In philosophy, I teach that the one person in life that we are not responsible for, is ourselves. Because, living as we do, in a collective, we look to others for confirmation that what we are doing is acceptable. That being the case, we have to concern ourselves with what other people think, if we wish to win profit of their support, approval, admiration; all of which determine our success, status, and power within the community; which effects our self-esteem and self-confidence.

Timothy St. John

P.S. After looking at some more vintage race photos, I changed the font on my custom number plate to one more reminiscent of the 60-70's style: larger, and non italicized.

P.P.S. Thanks for joining the fray.

I too always wanted the plates with the White background and black 7's, rather than the U.S. standard reversed colors ( also I don't like the new '15 silver one's ). So until I find someone who would prefer mine than his earlier model 2011 - 2012 plates I'll just keep mine on. I actually somehow feel that the " 7 " is somewhat being lucky for me riding these 24 hour city roads here in LasVegas..!!

Hello,

I simply print the plates up in a word document, using either 8.5 X 11 Avery removable self-adhesive white label paper, or Papilio removable self-adhesive white vinyl, with artist clear UV/waterproof sprayed over top of the sticker (before application). You can print any image, graphic or logo you want for any occasion. As you know from this post, I use my bike's production number, but I can foresee at least the font changing over time (I haven't even taken this bike out yet and I've changed the size and font twice already from what was posted). If anyone is interested I can post the dimensions with a how-to, to save you the wastage in trial. Actually, I can probably even attach it as a simple document, then all you would have to do is change the number. It peels straight off if you don't like it, and what has it cost you relative to the refreshment it offers your ride?

Timothy St. John

Hello,

I simply print the plates up in a word document, using either 8.5 X 11 Avery removable self-adhesive white label paper, or Papilio removable self-adhesive white vinyl, with artist clear UV/waterproof sprayed over top of the sticker (before application). You can print any image, graphic or logo you want for any occasion. As you know from this post, I use my bike's production number, but I can foresee at least the font changing over time. If anyone is interested I can post the dimensions with a how-to, to save you the wastage in trial. Actually, I can probably even attach it as a simple document, then all you would have to do is change the number. It peels straight off if you don't like it, and what has it cost you relative to the refreshment it offers your ride?

Timothy St. John
Hi Timothy,
I do not use the side plates but would appreciate if you already know the front dimensions? Not sure if you have gotten that far yet?
Best Regards,

Hi Bob,

I do have the front plate too, but it's on another computer because I printed that up on a larger format printer, but you don't need it. I'll get it when I can.

Timothy St. John

Last edited:
Just getting in on the end of the tail Timothy if you don't mind. I think like I mentioned somewhere in a previous post, I prefer to keep the rear cowl simply because it is a seat for one. Should I decide later down the road that I want to take someone for a spin then I will put out for the dual seat and passenger pegs kit. Sometimes I find myself thinking about it and to be honest it is only due to the fact that I would like to pick up stuff sometimes when I am out riding , or take along food or drinks / additional accessories. I'd like to note here that I am creeping up to sixty years of age pretty soon and am not the type to wear a backpack or shoulder type bag. I DO however really like the chrome rear luggage rack and the side bags. Problem solved right ....??? Oh no..then it really is not a racer anymore, and DEFINATELY not the V7 Racer methinks.. Whenever I ride I never think about what people are thinking about those " 7 " plates, moreover that they are probably admiring the chrome tank and red frame.
That is the beauty of being human is it not Timothy, that we think differently from each awakening day..!!?? Anyway love your thoughts / ramblings along with everyone else's here on the forum. Oh and I almost forgot to add.. I DO dislike the cheapness of the rear black plastic fender / light and turn signal setup, but I am sure this was only done as a weight saving cost factor. That being said I'll probably never put on the chrome rear fender or remove the one that is on. So for the present..my tail is here to stay...until I can try it out with a black 7 on a white background.!! ( Same up front.. )
Look forward to your next upcoming post, ride safely.

Hello friend,

I think putting the M.A.S. 'chrome' rear fender on my bike really lightened up the appearance of the back end. I had also thought to post that it is not actually 'chromed' as the merchandising information suggests, it is polished stainless steel, and therefore not nearly as resistant to scratching as chrome would be.

Before I changed my number plates to white, and replaced the seven with something 'ugly' enough to suggest practical purpose (my production number is 1351) no one ever mentioned them. So, I would have agreed with you about people's response to the 'top notes' of the bike (that which people notice first) until that time, but its the numbers that create the pseudo race theme, and thats what seems to anchor it in peoples mind in my neighborhood now.

Once their purpose is explained, people say the numbers make it look...'right'. Real racers may take issue with the pretence they propose, but everything about this bike is an hommage to past 'racing' tradition, not just to past motorcycling. I think it excites discussion amongst prospective young hobbyists who would not have noticed otherwise.

Timothy St. John

PS I almost bought my bike in Vegas, with the intent to ride it back to Canada, but the dealer was...indifferent. I've still never made the trip.

View attachment 8110 View attachment 8111 View attachment 8112

Hi Timothy,

The cans on my bike are Hyde Harrier from England and the rear seat section is from MAS Engineering. I hope this helps...
WOW, that is one good looking Thruxton, I owned the first year 2004 black with the white checkers. Presently own a 2007 Bonneville black and then a 2013 V7, they complement each other very well. The V7 is lighter and you can throw it around more then the Bonneville. If you can find a way to hold onto that Thruxton that is how I would do it anyway.

The number plates are a bit too passé for me (as a AMA Pro ex-racer), and it's pretty laughable for anyone, including Guzzi, to present the V7 as a "Racer" at all really. The number plates are the first thing I pulled off my RentAGuzzi V7R. That said, the appeal of the chrome tank and red frame draws a crowd at every stop, no doubt.

I'm at an age now where I've been around the block a few times, and for me, dressing up is something I just won't entertain. The retro helmets aren't for me, but if you can pull it off, I say go for it. ;)

I am working on having some GuzziTech oval stickers made to cover the number plates with a plain black and red and/or chrome trim stripe around the perimeter... which I'll offer up here for anyone interested(?).
I'm certainly interested in the stickers but only for the front fairing "7". I've taken off the rear cowling.
Chers

I just like the bike as it is….retro looking, love the seat cowling and numbers, love the longer fender on the back, pure unadulterated bling…mix it with some confidence, a sense of humor and the Guzzi can be loved to be ridden straight.

I bought the Racer over the other models for two reasons:
1. The price difference between a Stone and a Racer was about $1200 and between a Special and a Racer was $600. The upgrades on the Racer were worth well more than that alone.
2. It looks awesome. The Stone and Special are only differentiated by their mag or spoke wheels and the color of their tanks. The Racer looks drastically different. It might not be everyone's idea of better but definitely different.

I was de-stickering it last week (I've had it two weeks) and a guy was driving by, slammed on his brakes, did a U-turn, and came back to talk to me about it. It's a bike that stands out. The question is if you're into that. Every little piece of bling you take off of it makes it look a little more like a regular old bike. Personally, I like the bling. I saw a de-blinged Racer at the shop getting worked done and I thought it looked pretty crummy.

Me? I'm adding bling. So far the mirrors have come off and Rizoma Spy-R bar end mirrors have been added. By the way, they're tiny and they still work way better than the original mirrors. Next up is a set of pipes with the db killers taken out and thrown in the trash. After that a set of adjustable handlebar levers which a) look pimp in some audacious color and b) would be handy since they're adjustable.

Also the other day, a couple of teenagers in a car at a stop sign going from my left to right slow rolled the sign to stare at the bike. One gave me a thumbs up and the other almost crashed head on into the car going the other way. If you don't want a bike to turn heads, go buy another bike. Like anything made in Japan. Except the Grom. That turns heads too.

Pimp that ride, brutha I'm with you. One thing I'm happy I didn't do is hack my Arrow exhaust up. If you do go with some removable baffles I'd keep them around, you may want them later.

Back