• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Saddlebag leakage?

abbienormal, thanks for sharing your efforts in such detail. It is a really valuable contribution for the rest of us with leaking saddlebags!

The problem is that Hepko bags are ugly. If they were to produce an identical bag to the OEMs, which look superb, they would have many Custom owners knocking on their door.

I have them reassembled but the bike has been sitting backwards on my lift for over a month with the bags off for ease of strapping down while waiting to hear if MG will warranty my brake rotors. They called yesterday and finally said they would but now I have to wait for them to arrive. Remember, I live in Ohio. So it will be a while before I test them. It is up to 20F right now with ice on the roads. The bike is warm and comfy in my garage.

My Norge bags leaked and my California's leaks even more.

Same here. If it ever warms up I may get to ride and test my repair. I finally got the Norge bags to where it was just minor leaking and I could pack without plastic bags. I did use bag liners from Bagsforbikes. They fit and worked great. I have the Guzzi bags now for the Tour.

They're definitely not Hepco and Becker. I just bought the 30 litre leather Buffalo bags and c-bow mounting system.
And they are my suggestion as a high quality alternative.

Same here. If it ever warms up I may get to ride and test my repair. I finally got the Norge bags to where it was just minor leaking and I could pack without plastic bags. I did use bag liners from Bagsforbikes. They fit and worked great. I have the Guzzi bags now for the Tour.
abbienormal,
Did you get to test your repair?

Afraid not. Been working long hours and while off either the weather has been lousy or I have been out of town. I have put about 500 miles on the V-Strom so far because when the roads are gravel covered and wet with potholes I feel it os a bit more in it's element than the Tour. I have only put 20 miles on the Guzzi this year. It would be a good weekend this week but I promised the ladyfriend some time in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg and we are taking the truck for the 8-1-2 hour freeway jog there. My new floorboards for the passenger are not quite done. When they are I'll be selling my Guzzi passenger floorboards so at the moment it has no passenger boards.

Watertight cover can be a good alternative, i think.
Grtz Rudy
P1000265_zpsawu4c35r.jpg

P1000266_zpsdzjap6hn.jpg

P1000267_zpsg5s2nnl7.jpg

I just returned from a 1,700 mile trip where amazingly I only hit off and on rain on the last two days. Yesterday was about a few short rains followed by a 45 minute ride to Hawk's Nest State Park in WV in a steady rain. Today I rode in a few short rains and a couple short downpours. Also the last 1/2 hour or so coming home was pouring at times. I checked the bags last night and I emptied the bags when I got home, They were dry inside. I am so happy.
Also, for those of you who think the seals on the lids are leaking, apparently mine are not, I was speaking to Phil the service rep from Guzzi and he said there is an Aprilia part number for a new lid seal that is supposedly better. He said if the dealer was unaware of the number then they can contact the rep and he will tell them. The stock seals are only $4.64 each. I told my dealer id the new ones are priced the same or close, order me some. When I wash the bike will show if the seals are leaking.

I should say I put a new o-ring material in one groove but it was a smaller cross section than the OEM seal. So on both sides, while wearing Nitrile gloves, I put the silicone in the groove then inserted the o-ring. I had to cut it to get it to contour in a place or two just like Guzzi had initially. Then I filled the groove again above the o-ring and screwed the cases together. I then wiped off any extruded silicone which was less than I thought would be. I gave it several days to set before install. I just hope it continues to work.

I washed the bike today. :clap: I know, it happens, The bags are still dry and they never were before after a washing. I sprayed them fairly good to try and get a leak. I now feel safe packing my clothes in them. I have the Guzzi bag liners and I figure even if they do leak it will be so little that it will not soak through. As for now they are dry. :party:

Okay, it's been some months and a summer of riding opportunities. Are your saddlebags still keeping the water out as they SHOULD?

Also a few questions as I will also likely be trying to make my bags watertight when I put the California to bed for the winter.

1. has the Loctite silicone you used held up?
  2. when you applied the silicone sealer between the bag halves, did you leave the OEM rubber seal in place?
  3. do you have any "lessons learned" to pass along regarding disassembly and reassembly of the bag halves?
  4. after testing the new ability to be watertight, did you discover any additional leakage from the lid gasket?
Thank you in advance for your response.

1. The silicone appears to e holding up well. I see no deterioration but then I also cannot see the silicone as I cleaned off any that oozed out on assembly.
2. On the left bag I tried installing a different seal. I used a piece of rubber that is for gluing together to make your own o-rings. In my opinion that is not the thing to do the original is not round. I removed the originals, which were in a few pieces to make them easier to install and more leak prone. I then put the sealer in the groove, put the seal back in then filled the groove with sealer above the seal. Screwing them back together I then wiped off any excess.
3. If there was anything out of the ordinary I can't remember it. They came right apart once the screws were removed. The right seal was not cut into as many pieces as the left but I did cut it in one spot to get it to lay in the groove upon reassembly. That is probably why Guzzi says you will not get them back together if you take them apart.
4. I have never verfied a lid leak on my bags and several requests for the supposed better seal that the service guy at Guzzi told me about has only resulted in no seal. I never hear back. I told my dealer about it and they supposedly tried to get the number but nothing. I am thinking Phil got the Tour mixed up with the Norge as his description fit the replacement seals I had put on it.

My right bag has been 100% waterproof this year. After a day of riding in heavy rain for many hours there was a small amount of water in my left bag. I had a pastic bag on the bottom and the water was under it and nothing above it so I am thinking either the seam or something leaking in from the lid or the mounting bolts. I was on the road at a hotel in the dark when I felt it. Looking inside I could not see where it entered. I rode in rain at other times and it stayed dry so not sure where the entry point is. Washing the bike I get none in the bags.

Back