• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Norge center stand installation

bobra

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Hi all
I recall there was a post here some years ago about re-installing the centre stand on the Norge but can't find it through the search function. I plan to take mine off tomorrow for a track day escapade and wonder if there are any tricks to reinstalling the springs?
Thanks in advance

Rob
2007 Norge
Red of course!

I use automotive brake spring pliers. One of the arms has a groove in it that is placed over the pin for the spring with the spring over the arm. Then you use that leverage to extend the spring and slide it onto the pin.

Try bending the spring and inserting coins in one side and then the other to temporarily lengthen the spring. After installation, remove coins when bike is on stand.

Try bending the spring and inserting coins in one side and then the other to temporarily lengthen the spring. After installation, remove coins when bike is on stand.
I've never done that or heard of it but I like that Idea.

Thanks for the tips. The coin trick sounds interesting but, the springs have a plastic cover ruining most of the length and there are two of them - a spring within a spring - so I doubt it will work. I'll see how it goes.

I had a ball at the track yesterday and managed to bring the girl home in one piece. Someone said to me afterwards that I wasn't the fastest bike on the track but I was the best sounding (Staintune muffler). In fact, I was probably one of the slowest out there but the fun-factor was off the scale. My biggest problem, apart from some very sloppy lines through the corners, was how quickly the bike hit the rev limiter.

Again thanks for the tips.

Cheers

The coin trick sounds interesting but, the springs have a plastic cover ruining most of the length and there are two of them - a spring within a spring - so I doubt it will work.
Sorry, forgot about the dual spring, and the plastic cover. I have installed a new stand on a Breva 1100, so struck this issue myself. From memory, I think I approached it by installing the spring first, and then forcing the stand into its pivot position.

I know fighting the springs is not easy, but using heavy cable ties which can be tightened as you go, makes the job possible. With the spring in place, loop the cable tie through both the stand and the frame bolt holes, and tighten the ties evenly until they get close to position. Then cut one tie, and lever it into position, so a smaller diameter bolt and nut can be temporarily inserted to hold it in position. After that, work on the other one, and with a bit of luck, you will be able to get the real bolt inserted. Replace the bolt on the other side with the genuine one, and you should be good to go.

Sorry, forgot about the dual spring, and the plastic cover. I have installed a new stand on a Breva 1100, so struck this issue myself. From memory, I think I approached it by installing the spring first, and then forcing the stand into its pivot position.

I know fighting the springs is not easy, but using heavy cable ties which can be tightened as you go, makes the job possible. With the spring in place, loop the cable tie through both the stand and the frame bolt holes, and tighten the ties evenly until they get close to position. Then cut one tie, and lever it into position, so a smaller diameter bolt and nut can be temporarily inserted to hold it in position. After that, work on the other one, and with a bit of luck, you will be able to get the real bolt inserted. Replace the bolt on the other side with the genuine one, and you should be good to go.
You sure like to do things the hard way. Using one of these inexpensive tools takes all the fight our of it. http://www.amazon.com/KTI-KTI-70131-Brake-Spring-Plier/dp/B0015SCUH2

Dave, Any local auto parts house should have one. I just provided the link to show what one looks like.

Basic hook tool will do the job quite well (click pic for info):

I use a long stout screwdriver, with one end of the spring in place, hook the other end on the screwdriver shaft, place the end of the screwdriver on the pivot where you want the spring to end up and slowly lever the screwdriver up stretching the spring and manipulating it onto its final resting place.

I use a long stout screwdriver, with one end of the spring in place, hook the other end on the screwdriver shaft, place the end of the screwdriver on the pivot where you want the spring to end up and slowly lever the screwdriver up stretching the spring and manipulating it onto its final resting place.
Thanks again to all for your advice. I saw this screwdriver technique used on a drum brake spring in a YouTube clip and wondered if it would work on the Guzzi. I've actually decided to run without the centre stand for a bit but when I do reinstall it, this is the first technique I'll try. The brake spring pliers are only about $20 at a local auto parts store so that will be the fall back.
For what it's worth, my local bike mechanic said he puts the spring in place then manoeuvres the stand into position similar to Kiwi Dave's suggestion but without the cables ties. I guess that cat can be skinned quite a few ways!

If you are going to mess about with springs, it is well worth your efforts to purchase spring pulls (might need a few) and spring pushes. Adding these to any tool kit is worthwhile. Just sayin'

Back