• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Have I completely ruined anything critical?

sn0winSaskatoon

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi all - I've been having issues trying to get my B11 to idle properly - ever since I installed all the PC-V stuff. Todd's been great trying to help me sort it out- but he's 2500 km away.
So this morning - I had started breva up in the garage - I was going to try an experiment - I was only going to run it a couple of minutes and maybe around the block - In PC-V, I had set a target AFR to 13.4 thought my problem range (low throttle, 1200-3000 rpm). Just as an experiment. Todd had told me to leave it all blank - but that hadn't been working either.
Then my telephone rang - it was a minor teenager crisis (since averted) - but I was totally sidetracked (the absent-minded professor thing I guess). Then - quite a while later (half an hour) - I looked in the back yard toward my garage, saw the garage door open and remembered I'd left breva running !!! With my stupid experiment loaded into her PV-V brain... But the garage was silent. And smelt like burnt plastic. The bike was not running. The little black plastic chin-fairing thingy was lying on the garage floor. Obviously there was a major over-heating....
I let the bike cool down fr a few hours. Charged the battery. Started it (just for a moment to see if it would go) - and it did run.
Of course there's fault's showing. I toggled through the menu and here's what I found.
ECU 62 Stepper Error ECU Gnd
Dashboard - 05 "M" (iI think that's fuel sensor?) 07 (Oil sensor failure?) 08 (Oil pressure failure?)

So... what have I likely done? Should I even try to take it around the block to see?

Aaargh - I've been planning a cross-continenet trip all the way to NS to see my son (he got his first bike last year - a V7)
If I've really screwed something up the last thing I want is to e in the middle of nowhere...

Thanks for any advice
Ian

Hey this board looks all funny! Hope this message will go out

More info - so I changed the oil (very very burnt) and found the dipstick had melted a bit - I still could get it out and back in - just. It was quite bent as well as a little swollen just past the threaded section. So I used a heat gun to straighten it out again! Changed the oil. Then went around the block. It was running - but just felt - off and funny - hard to put my finger on.
Got back to the garage and checked the dipstick - the brand new oil was all foamy on the end of the dipstick. Now why would that be?

The little black plastic chin-fairing thingy was lying on the garage floor....................
...................so I changed the oil (very very burnt) and found the dipstick had melted a bit

Yep, spaghetti bol. You cooked it ................... well done sir. (no pun intended)
The frothing oil could be left over sauce from the original brew, seeing you started the next batch in a dirty pot.
I would be doing a thorough service including another oil & filter change, paying special attention to tappet clearances and monitor these closely in the very near future. Hopefully there is no permanent damage.

Let this be a warning to all us old gits with the attention span of a gnat, if the phone rings, turn the engine off.

As Ghezzi said, nothing to lose by doing a second oil change and checking valve clearance. You may have had the pistons or crank seize and they released when cooled. Run it and see how it goes. Worst case, engine overhaul will be required.

Ian, just catching your email as well. Oy. Well, tough to say, but some major things can go wrong that would be largely undetectable short term. I would do as advised above, and make many short trips where if it quits on you, it won't leave you stranded far away. In short... the consequences of overheating is first damage to gaskets, possible cracked heads, dropped valve seats, and breakdown of oil viscosity also leads to lubrication failure to main bearings, cams, etc. I would have some basic tests done like compression and leak down.

This has happened before with another Griso owner, engine was stripped and checked, no damage was ever found, however like you they had fault codes. It seemed there was more damage to connectors from the harness getting too hot.

I live in Swift Current own a 2013 Norge to bad about the motor overheating. New to the site Mgfarmboy13 after seeding will have to run up to Saskatoon and look at your bike. Involved with ride for dad our ride is june 6.

paste from Australia? I thought you guys just ate lamb chops with mint sauce for breakfast, lunch & supper...

Breva is now in the (hopefully capable) hands of George at Corsa-Meccanica in Ontario - I had to get down there anyway, so I just through her in a trailer and left her with George. Hopefully it will be nicely working next week and I'll pick it up on my way to Montreal...

MGFarmboy - are you coming up to toon-town for the ride-for-dad? I think it's sometime next month... I'll likely go if we're in town, but will have to ride my tigger, since Breva will either have broken down and be lying beside the road somewhere in the east, or else will have made it safely to my son's garage in Halifax. I know a few other Italian bike owners in the city... You must have the only Guzzi in Swift!

Update on what happens when you cook your goose.

So after I cooked my goose, I took her to George Ruffolo at Corsa Meccanica in Toronto. A couple of weeks later, picked up the bike from George, who really is a great guy. He had it running really well, and all the melted bits had been replaced. And he charged me much much less than he could have. George felt that I was lucky, but that also it was a testament to how bullet-proof the guzzi big block really is...

As far as he could tell, everything was fine except the stepper seemed to be toasted, so the "service" light remained on. Bike was running really well. It was idling better than it ever had... The only things appeared to be that the service light was on and a quick check of the faults showed that ECU fault 62 was still on. And interestingly, while I could reset tripmeter 1, I could not reset tripmeter 2.

So I headed east. A couple days and a thousand km later, I checked and I still had ECU 62, and DSB 05, 07 and 08 were back on.

And then they were off. And then on again! And then off again. And as I went from Toronto to Halifax (about 3000 km taking the scenic route) the periods of fault and warning light "on" became shorter and the no fault periods grew longer in duration...

Meanwhile, it felt like the fueling (?) was developing a bit of hesitation. stuttering between 4k and 5k on acceleration (which is unfortunately a really happy place for the 2v V1100 imho). Still rideable though, feels fine and normal above and below that engine speed. So I pulled the PC-V map and I can see that the trims are all over the place between 4 and 5k rpm. And one other thing, my fuel consumption seemed to be high. It was often well over 7 litre/100 - in the past, on long trips with luggage and my wife both, she's burned between 5 & 6 litre/100

So it appears as though I've got off really lucky. Bottom line, it just went well over 3000 km. But... so does anyone have any idea why the faults would come and go like that? And the hesitation at 4500 rpm? And trip 2 not re-setting? Maybe I've just slightly sautéed my ECU too?

thanks

Ian

So I pulled the PC-V map and I can see that the trims are all over the place between 4 and 5k rpm.

If you're running AutoTune with your PC-V, just zero out all the corrections, and let the AutoTune do its thing. I've had to do it a couple of times with my setup, I think it occasionally gets confused. No big deal.

So I pulled the PC-V map and I can see that the trims are all over the place between 4 and 5k rpm.
Pull and send me the PC-V map. Do you know if he checked/reset the TPS while doing his diagnostics? Did he do a leak down and/or compression test by chance?

Yes, I know he reset the TPS. Got the idle going nice (yes, apparently he messed with the sacred screw). I believe he tested the compression - will check.

I'll send you the map by email, thanks Todd!

Snow/Todd; I'd be very surprised if George changed the setting of the "throttle abutment screw" ( as Guzzi call it). I know he's well aware of the fact it " mismatch " the throttle bodies. He will however tweak the throttle body connecting rod set screw to settle the idle to a nice smooth tick over while synchronizing throttle bodies rather than relying entirely on a bleed screw to accomplish it. I know this as we've discussed this at some length while getting my stelvio set up to run as well as it should. His attitude to the sacred screw is you change that setting you just messed your throttle bodies. Which is how Guzzi tell you to do it.
Just in case it helps.
FBC

Oh and between you me and George looking after the tuning of my stelvio , Todd , every time he takes it for a spin he' s shocked at how well it runs and idles. Loves the throttle response. Thought you might like to know.
FBC

Back