• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

How to make sure engine doesn't overheat?

Guzzi Cat

Just got it firing!
Hi all,

When I was stuck in traffic on my way to the Ulster Grand Prix road race yesterday l became aware that my engine was probably getting hot from lack air flow through the cooling fins.

I was wondering is there much chance of damaging the engine in this situation or is there any type of built in safety feature that will cut in or is the oil alone capable of doing the job?

This is not normally a problem in this part of the world but in warm countries? just curious,

Guzzi Cat

There are a handful of "safety" parameters built into the fueling circuit, however the motor will let you know when it's too hot by lumpy idle, and it might just quit running. If it does, a short cool down time will restore it. I've run my bikes in 120º+F/48.8+C with no issues, though never sitting in traffic. I'd say don't sweat it, but if you want to really want to help the issue, revise the fueling and it will help immensely. My ECU re-flash or PC-V/02-Opt is a good start. Feel free to contact me direct email for more info; Todd at GuzziTech.com

Towed a melted Ducati Monster recently. Female (Doh!) owner left it to idle for 45 minutes to charge the battery up a bit.
Plastic covers over cam belts melted, molten plastic between belt and pulleys doesn't auger well.
Belt snapped, valves bent. Internally a lot of metal parts had blued. It was not a hot day.

The last couple of times I rode in fairly hot weather (80+ degrees F, ~30 degrees C) my bike started 'complaining' with the lumpy idle and flashing the red oil light at me when revving up from a stop.

I decided to get one of the oil temp dipsticks to see what that meant. When I got home from a ride today where it was doing the same toward the very end, I hopped off the bike and checked the dipstick- it was PEGGED at 140 degrees C (the maximum value), and took a few minutes to start coming down from there after I switched off.

I check and change the oil frequently. I think I'm going to have to go for one of Todd's ECU upgrades, despite being a little tight on cash due to a house move. Lean fueling + bad traffic here in the Northeast is not a good combo on a hot day.

Personally I the Griso is overcooled, but if you are worried about cooking your oil, then maybe consider a small bushless fan on the oil cooler, (like moto x bikes).

Hello.

Been having the same problem since I changed to the 10W60 both Motorex and now the Eni i-ride, what can I do to stop that issue, last time it did the oil light in traffic and hot engine it was not so hot weather, in the summer it will get much hotter. Allready thought about the fan, but it will be hard to make it look right on a artwork like griso.
And after some cleanup disassemblying I noticed that it has a left cilinder exhaust valve with white color and a right exhaust valve with black color and the inside of the exhaust and oxigen sensor are all very black. Had the injectors cleaned today but I suspect that wasn't the problem.Any Thoughts?
Other thing, my spark plugs allways have oil in their threads when I take them out but their color is brownish with no deposits...

P.S. Had a clogged engine breather/blowby box that was repaired today. But I don't think it would cause that much problems.

Update- it turned out that a previous service shop had cracked the resistor on one of the cylinders, causing the cylinder to miss occasionally. Additionally, they had fitted incorrect plugs to the bike. I took the bike to a different shop and both issues were addressed. The bike ran much better and cooler on the way home thank it did on the way up.

After about 5 miles of slow stop and go traffic on an 80 degree day, the oil temp was about 130c. In addition to fixing the fueling, I'm thinking of asking Todd to do a run of his oil cooler screens with a cutout and screw holes to mount a brushless fan. The fact is that due to where i live, I am bound to get caught in traffic frequently. If anyone has seen an existing aftermarket fan setup for a Griso, please let me know...

Back