• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

engine idle issue

Badger

Tuned and Synch'ed
Folks,

After around 1200 miles of trouble free riding today when I started up my V7 Stone it started to stall and not idle. The engine would struggle to idle and i had to keep the throttle on to about 2k revs to make sure the bike didn't stall. I switched of the ignition and tried again a few times. There was some improvement but I could still feel the engine rev counter go up and down whilst struggling to idle. I rode back home and parked up the bike. Any one experience similar issues? Is there a straightforward fix or an engine remap issue? any help will be appreciated.
thanks

Don't have much to go on. Here are some guesses based on little information. Possible water in fuel? Do you know if you have the half plastic fuel filter, and if you did has it been replaced with an all metal unit?

Per what John says above, and by chance, was the bike in the sun for any duration when this happened? Either way, see if the fuel tank has pressurized by opening the fuel cap and see if you get a whoosh of air if it does it again... or if it's now consistent. If consistent, I would suspect fuel too. The fuel map does not change on it's own, nor suddenly. Keep us posted.

Thanks all,

next day all back to normal. I dont know about the plastic fuel filter? how do you check this? is this something I need to change?the bike is stock.
i suspect that when i turned the ignition on I did not let the efi settle (the speedo and rpm gauges turning once over) hence the misfire maybe?

I will check the fuel tank pressure as todd explains above. Its a strange behaviour considering everything is back to normal today!!

Thanks all,

next day all back to normal. I dont know about the plastic fuel filter? how do you check this? is this something I need to change?the bike is stock.
i suspect that when i turned the ignition on I did not let the efi settle (the speedo and rpm gauges turning once over) hence the misfire maybe?

I will check the fuel tank pressure as todd explains above. Its a strange behaviour considering everything is back to normal today!!

If your bike is 2013 or older, chances are u have the half metal/half plastic fuel filter. See the forum thread about this. It needs to replaced with an all metal filter. I had mine changed( '13 V7 Special) at 2400 miles and the plastic half was already swelling. Todd can recommend a replacement.

Spoke to Corsa Italiana in the UK and the chap suggested that 2011 onwards all the new type V7 had the full metal type filters at least in the UK. He also said that according to his experience my issue is not related to the filter and it might just be that the EFI did not kick in properly due to not waiting enough after the ignition is switched on.

I wait as long as it takes my hand to move from key to button. Fuel filter is a cheap now you know you have the good filter fix.

Spoke to Corsa Italiana in the UK and the chap suggested that 2011 onwards all the new type V7 had the full metal type filters at least in the UK. He also said that according to his experience my issue is not related to the filter and it might just be that the EFI did not kick in properly due to not waiting enough after the ignition is switched on.

I wouldn't be so sure about the filter - I got my 2013 V7 Stone (from Corsa) and it had the half plastic filter. I had it changed to a metal one when my tank was replaced under warranty

Seaside
I wouldn't be so sure about the filter - I got my 2013 V7 Stone (from Corsa) and it had the half plastic filter. I had it changed to a metal one when my tank was replaced under warranty

That is surprising!!! he was so confident and laughed at me. Said there has been no warranty recalls and none of the UK models since 2011-12 have these! Is there a way to check if I have this filter or does it require a full tank removal??

Just out of interest why was your tank changed under warranty?

The fuel vent system is often something that will cause trouble. I pulled all that junk off the bike. We have had those systems here in California for years and they have proven to be troublesome. Most folks on the left coast remove that crap and keep it in a box someplace.

The fuel vent system is often something that will cause trouble. I pulled all that junk off the bike. We have had those systems here in California for years and they have proven to be troublesome. Most folks on the left coast remove that crap and keep it in a box someplace.
I disagree with your "facts" as well as your recommendation. I'm a native west-coaster and I've lived with fuel vent systems for decades. I've never had a problem with a fuel vent system. Also, I seriously doubt that "most" folks on the left coast remove "that crap". Some actually care about minimizing their contribution to air pollution. Finally, removing "that crap" can cause absorption of atmospheric water vapor by hygroscopic ethanol-containing fuel, which can cause other problems.

Seaside

That is surprising!!! he was so confident and laughed at me. Said there has been no warranty recalls and none of the UK models since 2011-12 have these! Is there a way to check if I have this filter or does it require a full tank removal??

Just out of interest why was your tank changed under warranty?

I don't know if it's possible to check the filter without removing the tank. I recall reading somewhere that Guzzi stopped using the half plastic filter then started using it again, so depending on the timing of these events, you may be OK.

My tank was replaced under warranty for a couple of reasons - paint was discolouring and it wasn't straight on the bike, although the latter point is more to do with the mounting points; the replacement tank wasn't any straighter!

I've never tried a small mirror to get a look at the filter (could work), but a cheaper inspection cam like below would do it. $90 at Horrible Freight.

image_25756.jpg

I disagree with your "facts" as well as your recommendation. I'm a native west-coaster and I've lived with fuel vent systems for decades. I've never had a problem with a fuel vent system. Also, I seriously doubt that "most" folks on the left coast remove "that crap". Some actually care about minimizing their contribution to air pollution. Finally, removing "that crap" can cause absorption of atmospheric water vapor by hygroscopic ethanol-containing fuel, which can cause other problems.

you will struggle to get that filter here , get a mahle kl145 , that is identical to the guzzi one and a whole lot cheaper

Back