• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

98 cali EV , not running

ARVENO

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Hi All,
I just got a 98 cali ev
new battery , new plugs , gas in the tank.
I hit the start button ,bike wants to start but it does not fire up.
I can hear the fuel pump running, and spark plugs do spark.

I checked every wire and connection and fuses and everything looks good.

what else should i do / check ?

Thank you very much for your time.
Marco

Hi All,
I just got a 98 cali ev
new battery , new plugs , gas in the tank.
I hit the start button ,bike wants to start but it does not fire up.
I can hear the fuel pump running, and spark plugs do spark.

I checked every wire and connection and fuses and everything looks good.

what else should i do / check ?

Thank you very much for your time.
Marco
NOT enough info in your description but I am assuming it has been sitting a while. there is a cam sensor on the top left front of the engine if you are looking at the exhaust pipe where it comes out of the head and the bottom front of the gas tank you should see it up where the cam chain would be. 2 small Allen head screws holding it in. gently pull it out being careful not to loose any of the small washers that set the proper spacing. you might need to replace the O-ring too. clean off it's surface with a rag and re-install. similar one looking at the flywheel on the right side around the rubber inspection plug area. clean it too. sometimes these get metal filings on them. next would be to pull, clean and or replace the TPS. it might be stuck if it has set a long time. this has been written up many times here and hopefully you can find a full description of the procedure. the 98 has a different setting than the newer computers so make sure you use the correct one. I THINK it was about .375 MPH cycle had the specs up last I looked.

Closed spec for the TPS on a 98 EV is 2.1 degrees. That equates to 365mV. If you do decide to check the TPS voltage and the yellow paint on the LH throttle stop screw has been broken be sure to zero the TPS and correctly set it to the 98 closed value IAW the procedure in the VDSTS/Centurion thread. https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/centurion-vdsts-info-instructions.1676/ Another possibility if it has been sitting is clogged injectors. They are a real pain to get to on the 98. I'd just pull them and send to RC Engineering for cleaning.

yes , sorry i did not mention bike " ran when parked " , and i do not know how long has been sitting at idle but i do not think more than a year .
I am NEW to EFI motorcycles , this is my very first and i am just getting familiar with it.
If the bike was a carbed bike with elec or point ignition i would say that it does not start because
Does not get fuel into the engine or timing is off .

Bike cranks and act like want to start but .... it does not. ( actually it started for two/three or seconds then died )

Before getting deep into electronic "thing"
I would like to make sure that the throttle bodies/injectors receive fuel and squirt it into the engine .
How do i check that ?
If i take the air cleaner out , will i see if fuel gets squirted into the engine ?

If it does not , i will know why it does not run.
If it does , i will search the problem else were.
Thank you !

Question : the gas cap is locked open.... anyone knows how to fix that ?
I have been trying hard but i am afraid to brake the key.....

yes , sorry i did not mention bike " ran when parked " , and i do not know how long has been sitting at idle but i do not think more than a year .
I am NEW to EFI motorcycles , this is my very first and i am just getting familiar with it.
If the bike was a carbed bike with elec or point ignition i would say that it does not start because
Does not get fuel into the engine or timing is off .

Bike cranks and act like want to start but .... it does not. ( actually it started for two/three or seconds then died )

Before getting deep into electronic "thing"
I would like to make sure that the throttle bodies/injectors receive fuel and squirt it into the engine .
How do i check that ?
If i take the air cleaner out , will i see if fuel gets squirted into the engine ?

If it does not , i will know why it does not run.
If it does , i will search the problem else were.
Thank you !

Question : the gas cap is locked open.... anyone knows how to fix that ?
I have been trying hard but i am afraid to brake the key.....

the 2 sensors will take 15 minutes to check. tap the bottom of the TPS (it's under the left throttle body, black diameter of a quarter, about an inch aand 1/2 inch thick) with the handle of a screw driver gently then give it 1/16 - 1/8 throttle and try to start.

the 2 sensors will take 15 minutes to check. tap the bottom of the TPS (it's under the left throttle body, black diameter of a quarter, about an inch aand 1/2 inch thick) with the handle of a screw driver gently then give it 1/16 - 1/8 throttle and try to start.

Ok , this evening after work i will clean the sensors and try again .
bike has 29k miles , i thought you may wanted to know.

thanks again !:)

Let us know what you find. Do you detect any fuel in the cylinders after cranking the bike over?

Let us know what you find. Do you detect any fuel in the cylinders after cranking the bike over?

i remember the first attempt , the bike started running for few seconds but did not hold the idle and died.
Pulled the plugs and they were dark / fouled.
I smelled gas .
Then i put a brand new set of plugs and i smell gas but not as much as when it ran .
I am going to crank the bike without plug and "see" it i smell gas.... i will let you know.
thanks

giving it up for tonight....
cleaned cam and flywheel sensor.
still no go.
i made a video .... you can hear the the engine start for a fraction of a second then die.....
Spark plugs smell gas , so i "assume " gas is getting in there.
took off the air box, completely, and found fuel of the right side of the throttle body, not much on the left side.

I do not know.... what do you think i should check ?

Note : is the noise that come from the fuel pump normal ??

Last edited:
The fuel pump on my '01 Cali never sounded like that. It was short and sharp. Yours sounds as if it is running too long and too slowly.

I've heard pumps like that. It is OK. Since it seems one side is getting too much fuel, I'd recommend getting the injectors cleaned. You will be surprised what a difference that makes.

my 98's TPS failed at 12000 miles in less than a year. they can be finicky and drive you nuts. I would replace it with a known good one and or new one. Todd has a good one at a fair price or the Harley unit might be quicker. remember this bike 12 17 years old and has been rarely ridden. I would also clean all the ground wires, frame, regulator battery. doubt they are an issue here but they do need it at this age. next is the injectors. I also wouldn't open the idle lever on the left side. use just a bit of throttle just in case somebody has it poorly adjusted.

You've probably resolved this by now, but I would want to underline vagrant's advice about not using the idle lever; it is not a choke and my '99 Cali is easier to start if I simply ignore it, as was my previous (2004) Cali.

Back