• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 C-S Suspension Thread

From what I understand the stock suspension was designed for a 155-175lb rider so you probably won't gain much by swapping out springs. other low cost/no cost things are to change fork oil viscosity, spacer length, and of course check tire pressure.

Thanks for your input Andy! I was thinking about changing to fully adjustable shocks since I have been getting the pogo-ish type of effect from roadway lumps n bumps.

Todd I will be ordering the fork kit this week for my 14' v7 racer. As far as spacers and such I'm about 195 with gear, you have any idea what I should set my sag at and all that jazz soo i can attempt to get it perfect first time. I know everyone is different as far as riding style and hie they like it I'm just trying to nail it first try

I have the Race Tech shocks that Todd referenced and it is a VERY noticeable difference. For full transparency I am 210lbs geared up. They came from race tech pretty much set up although they were a little soft. The thing I notice the most is the rebound. Which barely exists with the stock units. They are well built and don't look half bad either.

Thanks for the review mnguzzi! I have already contacted Todd via email. The Race Tech shocks do look nice, but as far as looks are concerned I would probably want the black/black ones which are $100 more for some reason. I am also considering the Matris standard shocks as well which look great and priced pretty competitively to the RT's

I will be ordering the fork kit this week for my 14' v7 racer. As far as spacers and such I'm about 195 with gear, you have any idea what I should set my sag at and all that jazz
Thanks Kyle, be sure to get the set with springs. Everything is outlined in the first post if this thread... however, do start with the preload settings that will be provided in the paperwork.

Can anyone absolutely confirm that a 32mm socket is used for the matris v7 fork caps. I bought a standard depth but it's not deep enough. Seems that 32mm is right but just want to make sure before I buy the deep socket in 32mm.

32mm is right but just want to make sure before I buy the deep socket in 32mm.
I'm still in a field of moving boxes to properly answer, but from memory, yes, 32mm deep... or you can run the preload adjuster all the way in and the standard socket fits I'm pretty sure, no?

I'm still in a field of moving boxes to properly answer, but from memory, yes, 32mm deep... or you can run the preload adjuster all the way in and the standard socket fits I'm pretty sure, no?

Hmm. I'll have to see about that. Didn't think about that! Thanks.

I'll confirm it's 32mm and yes you can turn the adjuster down and then use a std depth socket.

I finally have over 200 miles on my 2014 V7 Stone with the newly installed Matris fork kit, and Racetech shocks purchased from Todd. Wow. Night and day difference from stock. I'm about 185 lbs, the kit is rated for 200 lbs and it seems, with gear, to be ideally spec'd. The Shop set sag at 1", no preload on the Matris and 45 clicks on the shock rebound setting. I haven't felt the need to make changes from initial setup. They came to life at about 100 miles (Todd said they need to break in). I still feel the potholes and expansion bumps in the city, but I no longer feel like I am going to be thrown off the bike. I chalk this up to this being a very lightweight bike. Last weekend I rode 115 miles in the country and loved it! The Shop in Milwaukee installed the kit, and Tim the owner was quite impressed with the build quality of the shocks and the simplicity of the Martis fork kit. I do not miss the BMW R1200GSA I traded for it.

Right Racetech Shock:
IMG_20150523_102424247_HDR.jpg

Left Racetech Shock:
IMG_20150523_102442307.jpg

Matris Fork Preload Adjusters:
IMG_20150523_102452351.jpg

New Ortlieb Soft luggage (unrelated to suspension thread, but what the heck):
IMG_20150523_103126591_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150523_103159849_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150523_103204735.jpg

Deleted the ugly license plate light, and replaced it with an LED license plat mounting screw (see arrow) from Aerostich:
Idontcare.jpeg

Good thing its 47 deg and pouring or this post wouldn't happened.

Good to see another WisconsinGuzzi! Congrats and nice bike, love my suspension now too.

Hi. I've had my V7R about 2 weeks and I've read a lot of these improved suspension threads. What I haven't figure out is what everyone is improving on. I've done about 120 miles so far and don't really see what the issue is. Is the stock too soft? Too hard? Too slow to rebound? Too springy? After 300 miles it starts to smell like farts and sing show tunes on right hand turns?

Is it the sort of thing where you know immediately if it's not working for you, like the way I know my dad's car almost feels like it's swimming while driving? Or is it the sort of thing where ignorance is bliss until you're introduced to something better (like when I got my first vacuum tube guitar amp) and you say "crumbs... well I guess I can't go back"?

I'm 160lbs without gear, so probably pushing 170 with.

You're not experiencing the stock suspension problems because you're within the optimum rider weight range designed for the system. Those who are lighter or heavier than the range have problems. IMO it was short-sighted of MG to equip the V7 with a suspension that had such limitations, when the intended marketplace had such variability in rider size. They should have chosen components with greater adjustability and better adaptability.

In my case it was pretty obvious, getting thrown from the saddle on hard bumps, losing grip in corners, generally uncomfortable. I tried every adjustment with stock gear and found I need to make some changes and as rbm states you are in the optimum weight range so it may be just right for you. I'm a lightweight, so new springs front and back were the ticket. Put more miles on and see how it works, if its good great, if not there are solutions.

As well as changing with rider weight I have found that the suspension also changes with temperature. I am 75kg kitted up (165lbs) and find the suspension at both ends too rigid when it is below about 20C - but better when it is warmer. On warmer days the fluids must be less viscous and the damping reduced.
Unfortunately the bike is in UK and this year it has not often been above 20C......

Two up the standard suspension works much better - on the softest rear setting preload - so to my mind both the springs and damping are too hard for me.

My bike only has 1200 miles on it so I am hoping that the suspension may loosen up before the fillings in my teeth do.

AndyB

I tried to adjust the rar shocks on a new Stone II. The right hand shock was very stiff and hard to adjust (I had previously backed off the grub screws).
The thing got so bad, I took the shock off the bike to be able to put it in the vyce and operate on it.
The outcome of this was that I managed to remove the adjustment ring with some difficulty, but, the thread on the shock was mangled.
Looking at the thread on the adjustment ring, it had some sort of clear (relatively) goop on the thread where the locking grub screw hole was. It did not seem to contain aluminium, nor did it appear to be Locktite,
The thread on the adjustment ring appeared to be OK, but, the thread on the shock was rather worse for wear.
I purchased a thread file (at no small expense) and proceeded to clean up the shock threads by hand ( the 'goop in the adjustment ring flicked out with a little persuasion) and eventually had the threads clean enough to be able to put the adjustment ring with little hand pressure.
I then proceeded to adjust the sag (which I think skould be around 28mm) and achieved 30mm.
I decuded that was near enough.
One of my points here is that the bike, (as delivered) had the adjustment ring about halfway up the threaded portion of the shock. I have achieved 30mm sag with about 6 - 8 mm from the bottom to achieve 30mm sag.
I had been looking at Matris fork solutions, but, I want to try thing further before I commit to that.
The ride is so much better than it was as delivered which makes me wonder about pre-delivery?
I am 83 Kg, add to that 5Kg for gear, so about 85Kg or 187lb.
Hope thi helps,
Cheers
Brian

I had EXACTLY the same problem with my new Stone II.
The aluminium adjustment ring now looks mangled from trying to back off the preload.
Although I considered returning the shocks on warranty, I decided I wouldn't be putting them back on the bike anyway.
But I did advise the dealer & Pete Roper about the problem.
(I had hoped that my being only 70kg would mean I could get the stock shocks to work for me, but no, I hate them).

Back