• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

13 Stelvio electrical gremlins or just crappy battery?

Cage Free

Cruisin' Guzzisti
So yesterday Im headed out to take a nice long loop into San Diego and Imperial county and my bike just goes "click" when I try to start it.. I figure the stock battery is just going south after 15 months of service.. I use my battery charger to jump start bike and head off for the day thinking when I stop for gas in a few hours it should probably "hopefully" start. Two hours later I stop for gas and it starts instantly, and during the rest of the day when stopping for lunch, water, and such it fires up immediately, cool. I get home from my 300 mile loop and pull out the multi meter to check voltage. Bike off I get 13+volts, starting I get 9.5 with foglights, gps and radar detector on and 10.5 with them off, running voltage is over 14 either way. I go back out this morning and get the same numbers after bike sat overnight and bike starts immediately. I ride almost every day so it hasn't been sitting for any period of time. About two months ago I stopped to buy oil and when I came out of store bike wouldn't start, got red triangle and message "cpu".. I tried a few more times and triangle went out, message cleared, bike started and has run perfect since. Any ideas to what the hell is going on here?

Check your ground lead at both ends and positive at the battery. If those are clean/good, then replace the battery. The bike will not crank if the ECU sees below 10.7v.

Thanks Todd, I checked the grounds and everything is tight, My numbers are under the minimum at startup so a new battery it is.

Thanks Todd, I checked the grounds and everything is tight, My numbers are under the minimum at startup so a new battery it is.

Just because they are tight doesn't mean there isn't some corrosion under the cables preventing good conductivity. Disassemble, clean and re-install to be sure.

Thanks John, I'll check them. In the meantime I called my local BMW-Guzzi dealer and got a price of $240 for the stock Yuasa battery, they recommended a Bike Master battery as a cheaper($100.00 less) and better option. It also has a two year warranty as opposed to the Yuasa's one. I called my local cycle gear to see if they had one in stock because the dealer didn't and found out for the same price I could get it with an additional warranty of two years that covers complete replacement for the whole four year period. Cant beat that.

Hi , I had the dreaded "click" on my Breva after a few years, then I read about the "fix" for the problem on here. If your battery contacts and earths are fine I would recommend doing the modification. I have had no problems since I did it and the battery is over 7 years old now.
Kevin

Hi , I had the dreaded "click" on my Breva after a few years, then I read about the "fix" for the problem on here. If your battery contacts and earths are fine I would recommend doing the modification. I have had no problems since I did it and the battery is over 7 years old now.
Kevin

Good to see another Breva owner with a long life battery. I'm still using the original from my 2006. Now 8 years and counting. However the longest I have gotten our of a battery is 9 years, so I have a dry battery waiting to juice when I need it.

On my 2012 Stelvio NTX the original battery (two years old I presume) had leaked and also gave up. Not to smart to have an AGM battery angled cirka 60 degrees. Now it has a GEL battery of slightly less Ah. No problem at all though our spring have been very cold here in Sweden.

Good to see another Breva owner with a long life battery. I'm still using the original from my 2006.
'06 was still a decent year for AGMs. From what I've seen, '09+ are the problematic ones.

Mat
On my 2012 Stelvio NTX the original battery (two years old I presume) had leaked and also gave up. Not to smart to have an AGM battery angled cirka 60 degrees. Now it has a GEL battery of slightly less Ah. No problem at all though our spring have been very cold here in Sweden.
Maybe I should do the same. What is the recommended battery for a '13 NTX Stelvio?
Alan NZ

I have a motobatt battery in my old Ducati. Are these leak proof?
Alan NZ

It is a factory activated sealed AGM as opposed to the owner activated yuasa. Most failures on the Yuasa's were due to improper activation by the dealer/owners. MG actually put out a TSB on this with the proper activation sequence. The Motobatt is factory sealed so eliminates the possibility of anyone screwing up the activation. It can be installed at angles with no issue

I have not heard of any reports of leaking from the Motobatt and many Stelvio owners have used them as the alternative to the leaking Yuasa. Have they leaked on a Stelvio...not that I have heard of...could they leak....anything is possible I guess. Only true leakproof is a lithium or gel that have their own inherent intricacies.

It is a factory activated sealed AGM as opposed to the owner activated yuasa. Most failures on the Yuasa's were due to improper activation by the dealer/owners. MG actually put out a TSB on this with the proper activation sequence. The Motobatt is factory sealed so eliminates the possibility of anyone screwing up the activation. It can be installed at angles with no issue

I have not heard of any reports of leaking from the Motobatt and many Stelvio owners have used them as the alternative to the leaking Yuasa. Have they leaked on a Stelvio...not that I have heard of...could they leak....anything is possible I guess. Only true leakproof is a lithium or gel that have their own inherent intricacies.
Thanks. I have ordered a Motobatt. I hate the thought of battery acid leaking everywhere.
Alan NZ

Thanks. I have ordered a Motobatt. I hate the thought of battery acid leaking everywhere.
Alan NZ

Sorry to be late on this; I corresponded with Motobatt prior to ordering one, and they indicated it's fine for anything but upside-down

All the best

Back