• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

How to wire AUX lights to only come on with high beam

elfrider

Just got it firing!
Gday,

I'm finally trying to wire the AUX light to only come on when high beam is on.
I'd also like to be able to turn them off when high beam is on, i.e. I still want them wired through the AUX light switch on the right handle bar grip.

However, I'm having trouble trying to figure out the light logic.

First of all the diagram below is for a MY11 Stelvio, I have a 2012 model, so not sure if the diagram is correct. The #65 relay I have is a five pin relay and has a middle 87a pin with black wire. The 30 pin on the #65 relay I have is BLACK/GREY but the diagram below says GREEN/WHITE. All the other pins are the colors as the diagram below.

I would of thought that disconnecting the WHITE/GREEN (position 3) wire from the #6 relay, blocking it off and 'piggy backing' the BLACK/WHITE (position 5) from the #65 relay and connecting it to position 3 on the #6 relay would of done the trick. Canuck was very helpful in pointing me in the right direction a few months ago with this.

However, as it turns out the YELLOW/BLACK (position 5) and WHITE/GREEN (position 3) on the #6 relay is powered (12v reading) when the light switch is off, the lights are also off. I still get a 12v reading across the two wires even with the key out of the ignition. When I start the bike and turn the AUX lights on, the voltage between the two drops to zero, circuit open? (but the lights are on)

I have tried disconneting the position 3 wire from #6 relay and piggy backing the 87 pin (position 5) from the #65 relay (as well as the 87a and 30 pin) but the AUX light didn't work as I would of expected, they didn't come on at all.

Has anyone successfully achieved what I'm attempting and get it to work? I'm obviously missing something here.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks guys.

The right hand indicator is disconnected at the moment to gain access to the relays but surely that shouldn't affect the circuit for the AUX/HB lights.

OK...will need a little more information.........

What you are saying is correct...kind of.......

You said you checked voltage across the pos 3 and 5 wires and got 12vdc. Your meter is correct, however I don't think they both had 12vDC. When you check voltage on a wire you always need to check it in reference to a know ground (0 v dc), like the frame. Did you do this? If not, your observations make sense. The position 3 wire will always have power (in a stock layout, and will have power in your layout when the bike is running and the HB switch is on). When you checked the voltage across 5 and 3 your meter read 12v since it is using the ground on the lights as reference, however, only pos 3 actually had power.

When you turn the switch on, you now have 12v on both wires and your meter will read zero since it is using on 12v as the reference. You need to check each one with a ground reference to know where the actual voltage is.

So why didn't the lights work...not sure. The bike has to be running for the HB and aux lights to work since it gets power from the lighting relay that only fires when the bike is running. Also, make sure you took the right power lead from the 5pin HB relay. The drawing only shows a 4 pin but we know this is wrong. You want to take it from pin 87, not 87a. 87a is the low beam circuit that goes through the HB relay. It switches off when you flip the HB switch and switches power to pin 87. Verify it with your multimeter that you have power at the 87 wire when the hb lights are on.

This is where your multimeter is your friend. In the drawing you have, when the bike is running, and both the HB and aux switch is on, you should have power at 5 and 3 on relay 6 and pin 87 on relay 65. This should work. Just check all the voltages at the wires and make sure you always use ground as a reference.

Hi Canuck,

Thanks for the reply,

I don't know what I was doing yesterday, I must of been tired and confused. Got a good nights sleep, read your post and went out for another look this morning and it works. So I have no idea what I was doing wrong yesterday.

All I"ve got to do now is solder up a connecting wire and it's done.

Thanks again for the help, very much appreciated.

Not a problem. Been there before where you know it should work but your mind did not see the obvious simple things. Glad it worked for you

Back