• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Random loose bolts/screws

mikeaedmonds

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi, washed the bike the other day and noticed a very loose covering on the left side of the engine, rear of gear selector. I havent replace the 2 missing screws as of yet, i think there are 11mm screws. The covering was very loose, even to the touch.

Attachments

• IMG_20150304_201114.jpg
    IMG_20150304_201114.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 49
My suggestion is before you bother replacing the screws remove the cover, remove, clean, reattach and coat with grease or battery protector the ground cable below and behind the starter. My 1400 was clicking when I hit the starter and corrosion at that point was the problem.
Be sure to loctite the screws on the forward heat shield also or else you will be looking for them. My replacements from Guzzi had some blue thread locker on them so maybe they come that way from the factory now. Mine was an early model.

As a repetitive statement in Guzzi ownership, even when brand new, it pays to spend an hour going through every bolt you can get to and put a drop of loctite, and set to correct torque/tightness. Do *not* rely on the factory to do so. My new Stelvio NTX had the shift linkage bolt loose as delivered. Spend the time now, or pay dearly for it later in lost time and parts. My $.02.

As a repetitive statement in Guzzi ownership, even when brand new, it pays to spend an hour going through every bolt you can get to and put a drop of loctite, and set to correct torque/tightness. Do *not* rely on the factory to do so. My new Stelvio NTX had the shift linkage bolt loose as delivered. Spend the time now, or pay dearly for it later in lost time and parts. My $.02.

Todd,

Good general advice! Not just for MG, but any motorcycle. Although I have been impressed with all of the "factory" Quality Control marks on many of the critical fasteners (brakes, axles, drive components, etc.). This is not something I have seen on the japanese motorcycles I have owned.

Maybe we see these markings on MG due to the relatively low volumes and less automated assembly.

Used Todd's advice and found a few more bolts loose, the screws on the handle bar clamps were a little loose for my liking. Have not used lock-tite on any bolt as of yet, might have to spend a few hours and lock-tite some bolts.

Loctite should go on ALL THREADED FASTENERS that you remove and put back in place. It is a "no-brainer" safety precaution.

You are correct sir!!
As a side note, the zinc plated bolts, screws etc. used by Guzzi, IMHO, are crap. I noticed rust, (natures own Locktite), on several bolts I removed for maintenance, just a few weeks into the ownership experience.
I got with the good folks at www.probolt.com and replaced most of the exposed ones with either polished stainless or polished titanium depending on the application of the fastener. Will it help? Some no doubt...does it make me feel better...yup!

All fasteners should be checked at dealers as standard with pre delivery, depending on shop this may not be happening properly, I pre delivered a new V7II the other day and noticed nearly all visable fasteners had both yellow and blue paint spots from factory meaning twice checked, the only nuts not tight were exhaust manifolds which only required slight pinching after initial start up. Stainless is not always the correct strength for high tensile applications. Get to know your machine it should be something every rider of any brand does. My Audace arrives in Aus next month has the US received shipment ?

I noticed a rattle yesterday and guessed the exhaust heat shield! I guessed right but on further examination my conclusion is some idiot at the dealership ( just purchased ex demo with 1200 miles) has possibly cross threaded the front Allen head and substiquantly rounded the head! So now I have a loose rattling heat shield that I cannot tighten up nor can I remove it:( even had a go with mulgrips to no avail.....pretty pissed :(

Make sure it is good and hot or heat it yoursel when tryimg to remove it. They are very soft screws and I will bet money the dealer Loctited them on. Heat loosens Loctite. If they used red that is the only way it is coming out.

Back